View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 06:29 AM   #94
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Too close at anchorage

There was one time we were on a friend’s small boat. As we approached Bear Island near Swansboro, NC to spend a day on the beach, we saw a group of about 10 boats beached and setting up for their day too. I thought it would be nice to give them space and have some privacy ourselves. I asked if we could go over to a unoccupied spot... “over there”... and pointed about 300 yards to the right. The wife of the other couple said, “There’s a reason people aren’t over there. You want to always go where the people are.”

She was right. After we beached and got off the boat to wander around, I walked down to where I wanted to park. The water was inches deep, and when the tide changed, was high and dry.

So to get back on point, people will often anchor near you because you have proven it to be deep and safe. Yea, there is such a thing as too close and this is likely a good example. I just thought this may sometimes be why, even in large anchorages, you may find someone capitalizing on your success.

Just something to think about.