View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 12:32 AM   #17
Sabre602

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Wow, I really appreciate all your responses! I've decided that redundancy needs to be built in to our method. The picture that Ken posted in #4 looks like a great way to achieve that. Ken, although a single point may well have some advantage, our single anchor roller is occupied by our 65-lb commercial fishing anchor (Forfjord), so we're going to have to stick with the bridle method for the time being. Doing it with two separate lines that way makes perfect sense. I had envisioned two lines run the way we currently run it, but the way pictured eliminates the sawing altogether.

For those interested, this is what we use to initially pick up the mooring:

We don't have pennants around here, just the ring hiding in the dished buoy that Dave described. Using the device above, we've found it really easy to pick up a buoy. Donna clips the 'biner into its little holder on the boat hook; the 'biner is attached to a stout, 8-foot length of line with a spliced loop which is placed over a stern cleat. I approach slowly with the buoy on the starboard side, then move to the after helm position in the cockpit. Donna makes the connection from the cockpit, and then I can at my leisure thread the dedicated mooring line, unclip the 'biner and walk the line forward to secure it at the bow.

I think we'll keep doing it this way, except that we'll add a second line as mentioned above.

By the way, I agree that anchoring gives us more peace of mind than trusting a buoy, but find that in some of these coves we wouldn't be able to let out enough scope to be comfortable. Of course, that reminds me of a hilarious paragraph in the old "Gunkholing in the San Juans" by Al Cummings where he curses Chapman for recommending scopes of from 5:1 to 8:1 for exactly this reason.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote