View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
ghost
Guru

City: Anacortes
So I turned this up :

https://epoxyworks.com/index.php/app...at-over-epoxy/

I’ve always shied away from gel over epoxy, but the above confirms that the culprit is the amine blush left by many otherwise quality epoxy products. Two solutions, one is to remove the amines on the surface by sanding full cured product and with a water rinse. The other is to use more highly compatible epoxy products, my favorite is always system three silver tip, which I always grab when comparability rears it’s ugly head, such as applying varnish over epoxy.

The other thing we should discuss are the better ways to apply gelcoat repairs such that they are invisible and look professional. If you fill a hole and sand it flat you can nearly always see the edge of the repairs standing out as the color differences contrast. Instead, fill the repair just a little shy of the surface. Then sand a larger border around the repair to remove all shiny surfaces, maybe six inches depending on the repair. Finally, spray the visible surface of the repair and blend in to the border you sanded. A preval sprayer is cheap and works well. Then progressively sand the area flat and polish. Do it this way and you won’t see the repair and it has the potential to look as good as new.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote