130 HP Perkins ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than smoking at start-up, my two 34 year old 6.354's have been trouble free (2,700 hrs), knocking on wood.

Our single Perkins 6.354 ( 2500 hrs) smokes very little on start-up only, nothing excessive what so ever, reaches operating temp, doesn't miss a beat and burns/leaks 10-14 ounces of oil in 40-50hrs of operation @ 1600-1800 rpms. Clean fuel ,frequent oil changes, proper coolant... No complaints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update, we've been out in the boat twice and like you all said the motor runs great. Starts up first turn of the key, smokes for a minute then clears up. Oil psi is at 55, temp around 160 degrees and constant. It's a non turbo without the "manicooler".

Oil Sample Story: We have a diesel shop we use for work, good mechanics. I stopped by to get a oil sample bottle and told them I was going to take an oil sample and would drop it off Sunday, where would be a good place to leave it outside their shop seeing how they were closed. They said outside by the fire hydrant but they couldn't promise it would be there come Monday morning because kids in the neighborhood have been known to steal other things left outside.

So I took the sample and left it by the fire hydrant. Thinking I would outsmart the neighborhood kids I wrapped it in a paper towel, placed it inside a large ziplock bag and piled it next to the hydrant with some other garbage laying around.

When I called Monday morning to see if they got the sample they said they couldn't find it! Apparently, The neighborhood "early morning walking club" decided to pick up trash as they got they're morning exercise. Oh well can't outsmart them.

The engine looked clean, the engine room was very clean as well. The overall appearance of the boat looks well maintained. The engine is rebuilt with 400 hours, 2 new stainless fuel tanks at 300 gallons, new 50 gallon fresh water and 50 gallon holding tank. 2 new toilets with new rigid plumbing, and newer led lighting, all systems work with some minor exceptions. Most of the electronics are outdated but still function.

So, we're purchasing tomorrow! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Delo 100 is commonly used in Detroit 2 cycle engines and is easy to come by at a Chevron dealer. A different blend would be better for the Perkins. It doesn't have to leak oil. A common problem is the rear main seal. As I remember, it's an old style rope seal. Most modern mechanics don't have real experience in installing that type and they often leave engines with a leak. It's a pain to change because the transmission, bell housing and flywheel have to be removed.

The oil consumption could be caused by high rpm, but the engine has a commercial rating of continuous @ 2500 rpm. If it's run at a higher rpm it will use more oil. Maybe a different oil would solve the usage. The engine is probably broken in. It's a good engine that should go 10,000 hours or more.

A tractor supply is a good place to find parts. The same basic engine is used in tractors, field equipment, generators and pumps, all over the world.

A tractor supply is a good place to find parts. The same basic engine is used in tractors, field equipment, generators and pumps, all over the world.

These are some of the reasons Cat bought Perkins about 20 years ago. The brand whether marine or most commonly used as you state Lepke is alive and well.

Brilliant engine. The benchmark of diesels.
If you run them on 15/40 series 3 oil they'll keep going for years.
They all smoke on start up until they warm up, put them on a light load until they reach 80'c then they work like a trojan all day.
If you need parts go to www.parts4engines.com as OE suppliers they offer full/partial rebuild kits, great value for money. $9,000 ? Some ones lifting your leg.

I have twin 6.354 perkins in my 85 mainship. Parts for the Perkins are easily available, however, the marinization parts are a little harder to come by. As far as the engine itself, I was happy with both until the port engine threw a piston rod through the block. when the rebuilder took it apart he found the rod cap nuts on number 5 piston had fallen off and were in the oil pan. PO had great records and show that the starboard engine had been rebuilt at about 2000 hrs, nothing on the port. They both have 2500 on them now, and after about 15 boat bucks the port engine is now totally rebuilt and waiting on installation. As far as the oil burning, I've never had that problem on either engine. Don't know if this tells you anything, but there it is.

For those people having difficulty obtaining marinisation parts the OE marinizing parts suppliers for Perkins are www.ejbowman.co.uk they have everything you need, and more, and they're perfectly happy to support users of their products and ship spares to anywhere in the world.
There's no reason to tolerate any oil leaks on any engine, they simply need fixed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom