New to All: Trawlers & Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCycle

Vessel Name
Shalimar
Vessel Make
Ka Shing 36 Sundeck
Hello- According to a brochure that came w/ boat, we have joined the Trawler Experience w/a 36' 1985 Ka Shing Sundeck. Prior to now, The boat has sat shrinkwrapped for the last few years. We're ready to do some Great Lakes' Cruising!

We pretty much have NO history of the boat and no info avail from PO.
Here's what we do know: We've got Twin Volvo/Penta TMD40A diesel engines, an engine that overheats pretty quick, a few left behind manuals, a hard time finding parts, a Bimini structure w/a missing canvas, rotted seals around windows, lots of teak that needs re-done (a WIP), no exterior shine. There's an AC system and 2 sleeping areas. We've not even tried the Generator or inverter. It seems to Rock at the Dock waaay more than any boat in the marina, and lists to the starboard side, even after removing bags w/Meal chips in .

The biggest hurdle today is reconstructing the disconnected Mast.. it has been a total stumper for us. not sure if we're missing parts, or just ignorant. ((I'll post in General Discussion if anyone can help!))
Here's a photo of the Sales Brochure found on the boat. And, partial boat pic from our pre-launch hull work.
We're on Lake Erie's Western Basin in Ohio, and looking forward to actually enjoying this all someday!!
If you have any insights to share on this boats origin or history, or anything, we welcome it all! Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• 20180627_164121.jpg
    20180627_164121.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180626_153119.jpg
    20180626_153119.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Welcome aboard, and welcome to old boat ownership. What you’ve reported so far is pretty much the norm for a Taiwan tub that’s been wrapped up for a couple of years. Plenty of good advice available from other similar boat owners here.

Hello- According to a brochure that came w/ boat, we have joined the Trawler Experience w/a 36' 1985 Ka Shing Sundeck. Prior to now, The boat has sat shrinkwrapped for the last few years. We're ready to do some Great Lakes' Cruising!

We pretty much have NO history of the boat and no info avail from PO.
Here's what we do know: We've got Twin Volvo/Penta TMD40A diesel engines, an engine that overheats pretty quick, a few left behind manuals, a hard time finding parts, a Bimini structure w/a missing canvas, rotted seals around windows, lots of teak that needs re-done (a WIP), no exterior shine. There's an AC system and 2 sleeping areas. We've not even tried the Generator or inverter. It seems to Rock at the Dock waaay more than any boat in the marina, and lists to the starboard side, even after removing bags w/Meal chips in .

The biggest hurdle today is reconstructing the disconnected Mast.. it has been a total stumper for us. not sure if we're missing parts, or just ignorant. ((I'll post in General Discussion if anyone can help!))
Here's a photo of the Sales Brochure found on the boat. And, partial boat pic from our pre-launch hull work.
We're on Lake Erie's Western Basin in Ohio, and looking forward to actually enjoying this all someday!!
If you have any insights to share on this boats origin or history, or anything, we welcome it all! Thanks in Advance.
Looking forward to sharingsharing- .thanks!

Greetings,
Mr. LC. Yup. Pretty well what Mr. hh posted...and that's only what you've found SO FAR!!! Hahahaha.....Not laughing at you, laughing WITH you 'cause that's part of the adventure. Trust me (have I lied to you yet today?) the first time you sit on that sundeck with a cold beverage in hand with your "sweetie pie" relaxing beside you, after an absolutely fantastic dinner while watching the sun set it will ALL be worthwhile. The REALLY good thing is, it gets better...

200w.gif

Welcome!

It is good to have another member from the Great Lakes participating in the forum.

Welcome aboard! I own a 1986 marine trader sundeck. It is coming up on two years and had a similar situation to yours, meaning the boat sat for a couple of years.

First thing is get a survey so you know what you are dealing with. This was extremely valuable as you will be able to check things off as they get done. You will also need this for insurance.

Mechanical first! Fix what is needed there. Unless thing have been replaced over the years, you will be replacing more than you could imagine. I have close 25k in mine now and counting. I knew this going in. It was a project boat.

Canvas will run you about 6k, maybe a little more depending on material, eisen glass, etc.

I also had a list to starboard. Eventually figured out it was due to the dingy being on the mounts backwards. Something the surveyor did not catch.

Most of all, one thing at a time and I hope you enjoy the restoration as much as I enjoy mine!

The REALLY good thing is, it gets better...

Really? Cannot wait to see that lol!

But yes, even if you are stuck at the dock with a lot to do before being able to really enjoy, sitting there having a drink all worth it!

L

Welcome aboard, and let me comment on your engines a bit. The Volvo 40As are generally a solid engine with a few quirks. They do smoke a lot on startup and that is inherent with that engine. In your climate you could try block heaters like the Wolverines to help with warm up.

The TMD model indicates that it is turbo charged but without an aftercooler, which is actually a good thing- less to worry about.

The overheating is probably due to a fouled main heat exchanger. This advice is generic as I don't have any personal experience with that engine: Remove the end caps and look for tube blockage. Clear any blockage by rodding with a brazing or gun cleaning rod. Then button it up and circulate a 50/50 soluton of Rydlime or Barnacle Buster for a few hours. Search this forum for more details.

Good luck with your new boat!!!

David

Thanks David, lots of good stuff there.
And Donna , I certainly need a cocktail after reading your comment on the canvas! Cheers sa

But yes, even if you are stuck at the dock with a lot to do before being able to really enjoy, sitting there having a drink all worth it!

L

I was sitting in my cockpit late last night with a cold beverage looking up at the Big Dipper and enjoying the quiet and remarkably nice weather. The fact that I was in the middle of a boat yard didn't diminish the enjoyment that much. :)

I was sitting in my cockpit late last night with a cold beverage looking up at the Big Dipper and enjoying the quiet and remarkably nice weather. The fact that I was in the middle of a boat yard didn't diminish the enjoyment that much. :)
Amen!

L

Thanks Comodave. Agree, Jeff F! But thank goodness we are dockside now, as my fear of falling off decks that high up was slightly debilitating. P

Can anyone point me to a place to snag a manual for the boat? Can't seem to locate in searches anywhere

My experience is that most boat manuals are close to useless... I'm sure there are some exceptions.
Best info is a manual & parts list for each system / component. Many / most of those can be found w searches using make & model #s. Start building a spreadsheet of #s, contacts /sources and good time to note any obsolete /discontinued units and replacement if given.
I'm finding discontinued components on my 2008 Mainship so pretty sure that will be the case w yours.
Manuals for major items lije engines, tranny, etc much more valuable than boat mfg manual IMHO
Good Luck w the rebuilding and adventures to come.
Another frequent Great Lake boater (Ontario)

Greetings,
Mr. LC. A manual? For a Taiwanese "trawler"? The best I got with our 1974 Marine trader was an original wiring blueprint/diagram. It gets better. It was all labeled in older style Chinese (Cantonese?) text. The fortunate thing was that one of my clients at the time was able to translate to "English" sort of...I vaguely recall terms like "Transfer box" and "Diversion valve".

Mr. B's advice is good. Arm yourself with as many equipment/instrument manuals as you can get, go from there and keep records. Given that your vessel is older, who knows what changes from original equipment and design have been made over the years?

Take heart, my friend, as you found with your mast "conundrum" there is advice available here.

If I can throw my 2 cents in, I would list priorities.
I'm a "list guy".
I would write down what I paid for the boat and next to it the fair market value.
The difference is a "so called" budget.
Start with the engines. The over heating problem could be something as simple as a new raw water rebuild. Hoses, belts probably need replacing. Change oil and filters. Possibly fuel polish and tank cleaning.
Then the leaks! I'm sure there are a few.
Once engines and leaks are done, then genny and A/C units.
Last would be cosmetic stuff.
Hopefully, that "budget" stays in tact! You know it won't, but boats are boats.
Any accountant would tell you a boat is not a very good investment. It depreciates in value each year and you continue to put more money into it. Isn't that good?

You probably won’t find a manual for the boat since it was not a large production boat with an active owners group. We used to own a Trojan and were able to get an ownners manual but it has a very active owners group. As said before get all the individual owners manuals you can and that is probably as good as you can do.

I would make a list of all the problems you can identify. Then prioritize the list with things that have to be done versus things you would like to get done. Leaking windows and overheating engines would be at the top of my list. Gel coat shine would be near the bottom. The leaking windows will continue to cause more damage to the boat, dull gel coat won’t. Then start chipping away at your list. As you work on the boat you will find more things to add to the list. We have had our boat almost 3 years now and are getting it into really good condition. I figure in a couple of more years it will be down to routine maintenance. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I figured that’s about the answers I’d get, but have nothing to lose by asking. So thanks! It truly is overwhelming how helpful you all have been, and how much sense you make. Looking forward to posting that “under power action shot” someday soon!

Greetings,
Like Mr. Com said " I figure in a couple of more years it will be down to routine maintenance." In my case in a couple more years it will be down to what is actually on my list...

200w.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom