Marine Trader 12 volt short to steering chain on upper station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billfromport

Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
1978 Marine Trader Europa
Hello

I have a 12 volt positive running down the steering chain from the upper station once I turn the batteries on. The fuse will not blow but the chain heats up and registers 12 volt across the steering chain and ground. Does anyone know what the main 12-volt feed from the battery looks like coming up from below since I think it is making contact with the right side steering chain? It seems to be the main 12-volt feed for the flybridge since it is on as soon as I turn the battery on. I

I was wondering if anyone has seen this. It was OK (I believe) until the upper station steering was reconnected.

Thanks

Greetings,
Mr. b. From my VERY dim memories of our MT 34' the tube running from the lower to the upper station contains ONLY the steering chain. Wiring to the upper helm is beside a window, somewhere??? Access to the cabin steering gear is via a removable panel forward of the lower station. A visual inspection should verify that NO wiring is in any proximity to the mechanism. Behind the lower dash and in the fly bridge "eyebrow" are the only two locations the wiring might come in contact with the chain unless there is some electrical in your lazerette. Hope this helps and my memory is not as bad as I don't remember it to be...

RT’s recollections above are correct. At least on our CHB no wiring runs in the tubes containing the fly bridge steering chains.

This is a project boat. When I look down from the top it looks like the wires go down the main stainless 4 inch tubes in front of the helm but the chain guards do not appear to go all the way up to the flybridge inside the tube. It is hard to tell since there very little room to see down through the top station.

Thanks for your help

Greetings,
Mr. b. Well, I DID say I had a bad memory. IF there IS wiring in that SS 4" tube, THAT is the most likely source of contact to +12v if all the rest of your chain steering can be inspected and found to be apart from wiring. Alas, I fear you'll probably have to find some way to repair/replace the chain guards AND replace/repair the wires that will have the insulation worn off.

I use an inspection camera to see into places like that. It has about a 3’ flex extension for the camera.

Start disconnecting wires one by one until it stops.

There are tools that allow you to follow current in wires. Very helpful if you don't have a wiring diagram. There are no wiring diagrams.

Hello

I have a 12 volt positive running down the steering chain from the upper station once I turn the batteries on. The fuse will not blow but the chain heats up and registers 12 volt across the steering chain and ground. ...

Thanks

You must have the deicing option.:eek:
but seriously, you need to pull all those wires out and find a better path.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom