New to Florida HEAT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not real. Look at the first line of the reference you quote. It says, and I quote,

"Jimmy Buffett explores new creative ground here, putting the two-hundred year history of Amerigo, a fictitious Caribbean island,..........."

fictitious means , not real.

Read further down....

"Narrator
Kinja was the name of the island when it was British. The actual name was King George The Third Island, but the islanders shortened that to Kinja. Now the name in the maps and the guidebooks is Amerigo, but everybody who still lives there still calls it Kinja."

Those are the lyrics of the song! Its all fiction. I have the album. Just because the lyrics describe a fiction does not make the fiction real. I wish it was real, it sounds like paradise....which is what Jimmy was trying to describe in "The Legend of Norman Paperman", a stage musical that he wrote. I have sailed the Caribbean for years and have never seen or heard of it. If I had I might have stayed and never returned. If you find it in a chart, let me know.

But, I still like the name anyway because I am a Parrothead as are many sailors, but apparently not so much Stinkpotters. Apparently because of the shorter range of travel on diesel as opposed to wind....LOL But I intend to change that for myself by installing an extra tank and revisiting some of my favorite ports that I visited during my 40 years as a Ragbagger. Jimmy is an idol to many frequenters of the Caribbean islands.

Most often when it is hot here, the late nights are thirty degrees cooler. High-humidity areas do not permit that.

Greetings,...Another proven method is to soak your forearm in ice water....
Also a nosebleed remedy, theory is it cools blood enough to help it clot.

Most often when it is hot here, the late nights are thirty degrees cooler. High-humidity areas do not permit that.

Depends on where you are. In places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, etc. even though it is a lower humidity climate, it really doesn't cool down that much at night because all the concrete and asphalt that is absorbing the solar energy all day (thanks to the generally cloudless skies) ends up radiating it back all night. The official low in LAS at night in the summer is just about 90. Higher in some locations.

Hey Skyking, listen to all these wimps complaining about the heat. I wonder what they'll be saying if it hits 130 degrees with 90% humidity like it does here in Aug/Sep???

My 2000sf villa with 8" thick insulated walls was equipped with 15 tons of split a/c cooling. Electric bills of $200 per month, after being subsidized by the government.

Last edited:
My favorite poem is "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service I understand Sam very well.
"There are strange things done in the midnight Sun by the men who moil for gold. The Arctic trails have their secret tails that will make your blood run cold. The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, was the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee."

I used to know the whole thing by heart. GREAT poem!

"... since I left Plumtree down in Tennessee it's the first time I've been warm!"

Hey Skyking, listen to all these wimps complaining about the heat. I wonder what they'll be saying if it hits 130 degrees with 90% humidity like it does here in Aug/Sep???

My 2000sf villa with 8" thick insulated walls was equipped with 15 tons of split a/c cooling. Electric bills of $200 per month, after being subsidized by the government.

Sounds like an amazing place to live.

Jesus, now I am standing in front of the mirror and looking to see if stinkpotter is printed across the back of my shoulders. LOL.

You think that would make a good name for a trawler?

Jesus, now I am standing in front of the mirror and looking to see if stinkpotter is printed across the back of my shoulders. LOL.

No. "Retired Rag Merchant."

I can see a certain beauty to that name...........Since I now are one.....

It is not real. Look at the first line of the reference you quote. It says, and I quote,

"Jimmy Buffett explores new creative ground here, putting the two-hundred year history of Amerigo, a fictitious Caribbean island,..........."

fictitious means , not real.

Buffett didn't make up the name Kinja, or the island for that matter. He adapted a Herman Wouk book, Don't Stop the Carnival, for a play. Wouk made up the name. It's a great book, by the way, much, much better than Buffett's play or album, both of which were commercial and creative failures.

I live in southwest Florida, and work outside every day. Like others have said: wear a sombrero ( Walmart $10.00 ) type hat, long sleeved loose fitting fast dry shirts, lots of water and sun block. Eating fruits and veggies for lunch helps a lot in regard to dealing with the heat.

Conall

Misting fan!

You're welcome.

Seriously though its hard to do certain things in the FL heat. Last year I did some fiberglass work and there's more sweat in my work off my forehead than MEK. I strategize where I do as much outdoor work to the boat in the cool months(actually gets cold up here in North FL) but North FL is actually hotter than south FL deep in the summer it just doesn't last as long(the other day it was 102 with a heat index of 124). Not complaining because it cools off mid/end Sept. My significant other knows not to bug me about projects in the summer it's just time to be on the boat @ the sandbar or at home.

My plan for beating the FL heat is quite simple. In a perfect world I would leave SW FL April 1st and arrive at the Lake Superior locks June 15th. Out of Lake Superior mid August and off the Great Lakes by Labor day. Cross the FL line on November 1st. Now all I have to do is convince my wife that's her plan.

Ted

I live in southwest Florida, and work outside every day. Like others have said: wear a sombrero ( Walmart $10.00 ) type hat, long sleeved loose fitting fast dry shirts, lots of water and sun block. Eating fruits and veggies for lunch helps a lot in regard to dealing with the heat.

Conall

Hey Conall,
How is your Bruce Roberts boat doing? Have not heard much from you!

Stu

Now all I have to do is convince my wife that's her plan. Ted

"Honey, I have been thinking it over and I think your suggested summer travel plans are a good idea."

Let us all know how that works for you.

Do not work in the midday sun. I work mornings and late afternoons. I rig shade and fans and move them as I work. Take plenty of breaks and drink cool water constantly. In the future, plan big jobs for winter time. I visit a Mexican market in Homestead, FL and buy a thin scarf type thing with crystals or something sewn inside. I wet this thing and tie it loosely around my neck. It works great for keeping you cool. All the field hands use them for keeping cool.

My wife and I usually go thru a few change of clothes when we work on the outside of the boat during the high heat months...if we absolutely have to...which most of the time we just deal with inside projects

"Only madd dogs and Englishmen go out in the new day sun."

Highs for the next six days in Miami, 91 91 90 92 91 90

Highs for the next six days in Dallas, 105 107 108 107 107 106

I'm working in Iraq at the moment. Its a bit cool at the moment, at around 47 C (117 F) We've seen 58 C earlier this summer. (136F) but its usually low humidity.
I prefer this to working in the Arctic. You get acclimatised to almost anywhere.

.. We've seen 58 C earlier this summer. (136F) but its usually low humidity.

The good news, IF there is good news, is that you can make an airconditioner out of a wet beach towel and a cheap fan. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom