What's wrong with this Yachtworld photo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I was cruising boats similar to what I'm look for and found this Grand Alaskan...
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/Alaskan--3100266/United-States#.W0uKgNIzo_4

Two things I see right off the bat are the collapsed air filter and empty coolant tank. For a boat that is "never owned" it also looks like a boat that was "never maintained" and sure seems like the engine room is dirty.

Also, the crew quarters has a microwave mounted at ankle level... Nice to have included a microwave for the poor crew, but who wants to get on hands and knees to see / operate it?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/Alaskan--3100266/United-States#.W0uKgNIzo_4

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-07-15 15.04.19.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-07-15 15.04.19.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 441
  • Screenshot 2018-07-15 15.08.07.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-07-15 15.08.07.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 219
Well, the entire "never owned" means nothing. Clearly it was run some. Just "never sold." Wonder how many hours it has and if Seattle Yachts is going to warranty it like a new boat. Certainly equipment warranties are in doubt.

Otherwise, likely a very nice boat.

Looks like it might be time to check the air cleaner!

Pictures can be hard to judge, but that engine looks like it has lived in a 10 year old boat, not a newer “Demo”.

Never been owned is a false statement. Never been titled is the correct way to state it. The manufacturer produces an MSO(manufacturer statement of origin). This MSO along with an invoice accompanies the boat to the dealer. The dealer now owns it. When the dealer sells it to an individual it gets titled for the first time.

It is not uncommon for a dealer or manufacturer even to have an untitled personal boat that is operated for years all the while using a dealer registration. I know of one manufacture that used a boat for 5 years, then took it back to the factory, repainted it and sold it as a current year boat. The dealer who bought it new what he was getting and got the boat for 50% on new. I’m not so sure the retail buyer knew exactly what they were buying.

No dealer buys a multimillion dollar yacht as a demo. That boat was probably used as the dealer's personal yacht, much like new car "demos" are used by a car dealer (and his family). The advantage I guess is that the manufacturer pays the carrying costs (called the floor plan in the industry) for the first year and the brokerage pays the bank in subsequent years. No taxes are paid of course.

The downside is that after six years the boat has depreciated significantly even though advertised as "new".

David

The air cleaner looks like someone tried to strangle the air supply to stop the engine. Unlikely that it would collapse on its own.

BTW, Grand Banks sued them to get them to remove the "Alaskan" from the name. Their argument was that they already had a Grand Banks Alaskan.

So now they are just Alaskan.

Looks unloved for $2M. Does not look like a boat show demo either unless they block off ER access.
Maybe the crew lives off frozen chimichangas.

Last edited:
I've seen 10+ year old boats that look cleaner than this one. They didn't post engine hours but it appears to have some mileage on them. For the price they are asking, you would have assumed they would have prepped it better.

The air cleaner looks like someone tried to strangle the air supply to stop the engine. Unlikely that it would collapse on its own.

If you feed an engine dirty air long enough the engine will do that, until the filter ruptures and lets unfiltered air into the engine.

Greetings,
What's wrong? The price DUH!!! Too bad I spent all my spare cash on fast women, whiskey, fast cars, whiskey, fast boats, whiskey and then I wasted the rest...

100.gif

Engine hours are not mentioned.

I'd be very wary of multi-year demonstrator boats. Dealers will not pay for ANY maintenance. So none gets done. No oil changes etc.

I purchased a 2 year demonstrator (Queenship) with 900 hours in the late 90's. The boat went to the East Coast and then back to the West Coast. The dealers never changed the engine oil once. One engine dropped a valve coming up the West Coast and got "rebuilt" ( 1 kit plus head) before I bought it. The factory repainted and refreshed the boat and changed the hull number to reflect the current year. A shady practice but I was aware of that.

Interestingly, I got full engine warranty at 900 hours and had the other engine in-framed due to wear while under warranty. It turned out to be a good boat but i probably overpaid. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Good catch, Stubones99. This particular Alaskan 70 (not, by the way, a Grand Alaskan) was built and later used as a demonstrator by the couple who purchased the assets of Alaskan Yachts out of bankruptcy in 2010. They were in the middle of having a 65 built and made the move in order to protect their investment that project.

As the owners of Alaskan Yachts, they cruised their Alaskan 65 for a few years while working with a Florida brokerage company other than us, in an attempt to revive the brand and the company. Ultimately, because of economic and other circumstances, they were unsuccessful.

This Alaskan 70 Demonstrator was never destined to be their personal yacht. And it remained pretty much mothballed until because of the company owners’ advancing age and some health issues, they decided to sell us the brand and the dormant company.

However, while we purchased the brand and trademark rights and the company, we did not purchase this Alaskan 70 Demonstrator. Instead, our brokerage division listed it for sale at the asking price they designated. The yacht has never been titled. She has about 250 hours on her propulsion engines, all accumulated during sea trials and traveling back and forth to a couple of boat shows, as well as during a couple of photo shoots.

The yacht’s owners have always assured that regular maintenance was performed including oil changes, cosmetic repairs, washing, waxing, bottom paint, zincs, and the like. We had the yacht gone over when we took the listing and saw to the performance of any needed maintenance at the time. Unfortunately, we did not review the photo-pack which included the photo which you spotted and so it was not replaced even though the filter in question was.

For your information, we are in process of redesigning and reintroducing the Alaskan line, which we call the Alaskan Mark II series. Initially, there will be 54-, 57-, and 66-foot models, then later, one or two larger models. As soon as the Northwest 63 we currently have under construction is complete, we’ll begin tooling up for an Alaskan 66 Mk II.

We’ve assembled what we believe is a great design and build team. Stephen R. Seaton is handling the redesign of the Alaskan line that will modernize the brand while retaining many of the key design elements originally conceived by Art DeFever. Donald Blount and Associates is doing the engineering, and Phil Friedman, former President and CEO of Palmer Johnson Yachts, is contracted as our New-Build Manager.

I can see you’re based in Melbourne, Florida. But if you would like to see the Alaskan 70 Demonstrator, Dan Sammis, our East Coast manager in Jupiter, FL would be happy to show her to you and will buy you lunch as a token of our appreciation for bringing the errant photo to our attention.

Collapsed filters often indicate water leaks in the ER.
Let the buyer beware, the fix could go well beyond replacing a filter, as the engine may have been ingesting salt water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom