What questions would you ask?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cruiserChick

When my daddy passed away 3 months ago he left a boat to my mom and sister. The boat is named after my mom actually. :)
But neither my mom nor my sister have ever boated without my dad so they are both struggling with using the boat at all since they feel they have too much to learn before being comfortable boating safely. Since my husband and I have been boating for decades, my sister suggest I put together a webinar series for new boaters that teaches the basics, things like how to back the trailer, how to hook up the trailer, navigation, right of way, weather, what does that beeping sound mean and what do i do about it and lots more. Navionics is going to help sponsor this series so it will be completely free to webinar attendees.
For your new boaters out there, what questions do you need answered? For you seasoned boaters, what do you wish someone had taught you when you were a newbie?

Sounds like a noble venture! Your dad would be proud. Why not ask your sister and mom what questions they have. Its a place to start. Or you could do a basic video on hooking the trailer up, launching etc and then solicit questions from newbies.love it!

Since you're apparently talking about trailerable boats, I request you discuss ramp etiquette or common ramp courtesy during both launch and recovery. Courtesy isn't so common any more and etiquette has gone out of fashion, but there must be a way to convince your audience that there is a mutual benefit of practicing either or both at the ramp.

Thanks, and good luck with your project!

Greetings,
Ms. cC. First and foremost, take a US Power Squadron basic boating course before you even get aboard. Knowledge of rules of the road and what does that pretty yellow stick mean are much more important that what's that beeping sound IMO. Condolences for your daddy.

I'm glad someone said ramp etiquitte. That's the first thing that I thought of.

You might also consider some of the following:

How to pull someone on a tube safely
Jet Ski Safety
how and where to anchor
navigation with a paper chart
How to respond to some common problems
docking techniques

Additionally, if they attend the USPS course, I'll bet they'll find some folks willing to help them along. The local USPS I'm familiar with is loaded with knowledgeable and nice people.

Greetings,
Ms. cC. First and foremost, take a US Power Squadron basic boating course before you even get aboard. ...

No harm boarding while docked. Good opportunity to become familiar with systems and inboard equipment, as well as to just enjoy the boat's ambiance.

Greetings,
Ms. cC. First and foremost, take a US Power Squadron basic boating course before you even get aboard. Knowledge of rules of the road and what does that pretty yellow stick mean are much more important that what's that beeping sound IMO. Condolences for your daddy.
Additionally, if they attend the USPS course, I'll bet they'll find some folks willing to help them along. The local USPS I'm familiar with is loaded with knowledgeable and nice people.
Absolutely agree...
USPS now being marketed as Americas Boating Club offers many different learning options both online and live and both classroom and on-the-water. Cost is for materials as instructors are volunteers. Cost of membership and classes is minor in the world of boating and as sbu stated perhaps the biggest benefit will be a new network of friends and resources with similar interests to help them along the way.
Some USPS Squadrons are now offering Jump Start... an on the water introduction and training session on your boat for the new boater. I believe that these are free and a good way to get started and meet some knowledgeable resources to make the USPS connection.

The content of a basic boating course been pretty thoroughly hashed out by the Power Squadron, Auxiliary, NASBLA, and a bunch of others. Take one of their courses. They all follow the same basic curriculum.

Another great source would be Chapman's. That covers just about everything a beginner needs to know, and looks really salty sitting on the coffee table.

As a past USPS Basic Boating Course instructor, I'd recommend a thorough review of the material covered in that course. It's a well-thought out plan for introduction to what every boater should know, from getting the boat to the water to returning safely. Our focus was always on getting the most enjoyment out of boating by being safe and knowledgeable. Those who don't participate in some sort of basic skills/knowledge building are really selling themselves short on the whole boating experience.

I'm not a fan of web instruction. The classroom experience over a period of weeks opens discussion that broadens the scope of the learning far beyond what can be absorbed in watching a video or ticking off checkboxes on a webpage. Repetition and review of the previous weeks' material further reinforces the learning; the best learning is accomplished when knowledge fills a vacuum. The personal interchange in the classroom answers questions that otherwise might not be covered, and anecdotal discussion brings personal experience to the forum that reinforces the cirriculum material in a way that just doesn't happen in the impersonal world of cyberspace.

That said, any knowledge is better than none at all, and the simple fact is that people today aren't willing to commit the time to attend a six or eight week class when they can "get the same thing" sitting in front of a screen. So anything that encourages folks to broaden their knowledge is a good thing. The longer you can hold their interest, the more information they'll absorb. The key is to keep them coming back.

For you seasoned boaters, what do you wish someone had taught you when you were a newbie?

How to swim was my first lesson received from expert swimmer mom; during my toddler age. Same lesson, at same age, was given to my two brothers. That was well over 60 yrs. ago. :thumb:

IMO... no person should get serious about being aboard a boat for more than a very short [and carefully life vest protected] time prior to learning very well how to swim! :popcorn:

Swimming well is numero uno in my book! :D

Happy Boat-Lesson Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Certainly endorse the US Sail & Power Squadron's ABC Course. Their new promotion as "America's Boating Club (ABC, again) Is even "warmer and fuzzier".

IMO... no person should get serious about being aboard a boat for more than a very short [and carefully life vest protected] time prior to learning very well how to swim!
I'm not disagreeing, just sharing our related experience.

Out youngest, a pleasant surprise, joined an active boating family. He was on boats and in the water before he was a year old, never without wearing a PFD. As he grew, he never got into water he couldn't stand up in without a PFD, and there was never a concern. He wasn't treated differently than anyone else.

When he was ~13, old enough but too young for a full qual, he, his older brother, and I registered for a class to get SCUBA certified. When we signed up, we learned we'd have to pass a challenging swimming test to take the class, including a 200-yard unaided swim. I'd never seem him swim without a PFD and had no clue if he could. We practiced with him some from our boat, making him splash around in water over his head without a PFD, but he wasn't willing to participate in a real pre-test and wouldn't take formal swimming lessons. "I'll be fine," was his attitude.

And he was. He wasn't the class superstar - a Boy Scout troop was taking the class with us - but he passed. Roughly 12 boating seasons behind the boat, swimming, tubing, and wakeboarding while wearing a PFD was instruction enough. Who knew?

I'm not disagreeing, just sharing our related experience.

Out youngest, a pleasant surprise, joined an active boating family. He was on boats and in the water before he was a year old, never without wearing a PFD. As he grew, he never got into water he couldn't stand up in without a PFD, and there was never a concern. He wasn't treated differently than anyone else.

When he was ~13, old enough but too young for a full qual, he, his older brother, and I registered for a class to get SCUBA certified. When we signed up, we learned we'd have to pass a challenging swimming test to take the class, including a 200-yard unaided swim. I'd never seem him swim without a PFD and had no clue if he could. We practiced with him some from our boat, making him splash around in water over his head without a PFD, but he wasn't willing to participate in a real pre-test and wouldn't take formal swimming lessons. "I'll be fine," was his attitude.

And he was. He wasn't the class superstar - a Boy Scout troop was taking the class with us - but he passed. Roughly 12 boating seasons behind the boat, swimming, tubing, and wakeboarding while wearing a PFD was instruction enough. Who knew?

I'm pleased to hear that success story!

My mom had belonged to "The Whales" [a NY swimming and dive team for youngsters] when she was young - in the late 1920's through mid 30's. So, you can imagine how much she wanted her three boys to also be expert swimmers! We were always pleasure boating on weekends and parent's vacations; much, much water play every summer.

NOTE: Photo below is not my mom nor the NY Whales team... but... it sure looks similar to pictures she shared back in the 1950's / 60's

Here's mom's interesting way to get us to become free swimmers at very young age: 1st Mom hooked a line on rear of life jacket... telling me to paddle forward. 2nd she taught me how to kick straight legged and cupped hand for the crawl. 3rd mom showed me the breast stroke and walked me with vest still on and line still hooked to its rear. 4th she took off the line and let me practice both swim strokes with life vest still on. 5th the vest was removed and she had rope tied to a belt that was lightly cinched around chest. Soon I was able to swim and soon she removed the helper line. Right after removing the support line she taught me how to dog paddle in place, how to float on my back and how to swim just under surface of water holding my breath. This group of lessons went on for several weeks before I actually became a pretty good swimmer at very young age! I never looked back and always love to swim.

2e5496b7af1bb38cafa62db74a467147--swimming-photos-olympic-swimmers.jpg

Last edited:
I'm amazed that anyone who mucks around in boats couldn't swim.

I grew up a ways from the ocean , however we all learnt to swim at an early age in the town's Olympic pool* .Every kid in the school was taught to swim. It was part of our education.

We lived near a pretty big river and spent summers jumping off the road bridge, falling out of canoes, making rope swings.When we were a little older, we tried to get the girls to come skinny dipping with us.Ha, good luck with that!

We could do all these things because we were taught to swim.

* the term Olympic pool was used in Oz to describe the local pools built in most country towns. They were 55 yards long and about 8 lanes wide, with the deep end having a couple of diving boards. They were usually surrounded by grass full of bindis, the bane of our lives.

I'm amazed that anyone who mucks around in boats couldn't swim.

In days past... Maine Lobster Men never wanted to know how to swim... incase they fell off the boat into Penobscot Bay's frigid water while lobstering alone.

Kinda stupid in my opinion!

I had a partner from England as an Executive in one of my businesses. He did not want to come out on my boats because he'd never learnt how to swim. My wife's dad never knew how to swim.

The OP was looking for suggestions to create her own content. IF the US Power Squadron course is so great, she should not try to copy that. She should do something they don't cover...which is why she was asking for suggestions, not a USPS endorsement.

The OP was looking for suggestions to create her own content. IF the US Power Squadron course is so great, she should not try to copy that. She should do something they don't cover...which is why she was asking for suggestions, not a USPS endorsement.

Yep, that would be great! What are some ideas that would help to compliment the Power Squadron course?

Yep, that would be great! What are some ideas that would help to compliment the Power Squadron course?
Wow.... thats a talk order as the USPS basic boating course is only a start and just scrathes the surface. They then go on with many adfitional seminars and advsnced / elective courses that cover a very wide range of topics. It would be hard to find anything for beginners that is not offered by USPS.
I know licensed captains that paid goid money fir a private course and took their cspt exam... later started taking the USPS courses and commented they learned more than the $$$ privately offered course.
It would be worth looking through the USPS education website for abetter list of topics and summary of what's covered.

Just my opinion but I don't see a need or advantage to reinventing a wheel.

Greetings,
The point I was attempting to make was initial trips on any vessel where one is "in charge" are potentially an overload to the senses. Movement in 3 axis, narrow or congested passages which may have current or wind influences, other boaters passing too close or at a high rate of speed, docking and undocking, trailer/ramp issues etc. A LOT going on for someone unfamiliar with the water and the protocol.

Successful completion of a basic boating coarse should prepare one for navigating thus taking just one of the myriad of new experiences out of the confusion or at least lessening the stress and danger. Hard to focus when you don't know where you're going.

I think Ms. cC mentioned most of what a newbie should know in her OP (...navigation, weather etc.). I would stress safety aspects of all procedures. Life jackets, MOB procedure, dealing with kids or pets on board...

Seems to me - If learner is a newbie to boating, unlike many of us on TF who were basically brought up into it, the most pronounced way to accomplish steep learning curve would be written text study and video test courses... well supplemented by hands-on experience for minimum of several hours with registered captain or at very least well experienced boater friend. Then - Begin slowly and carefully on your own boat... but have a blast!!

DON'T back your vehicle's tires into the water when launching or retrieving your boat!!! Be sure to apply parking brake and make sure it is holding your vehicle in place on the ramp BEFORE you even open the door!!! I won't go into manual transmission procedures as hopefully you know them if you can drive one :-O
Your trailer's winch is capable of pulling your boat into position if you aren't comfortable powering it fully into position.

Also..and this is a biggie. DO NOT EVER LAUNCH YOUR BOAT KNOWING IT HAS FUNCTIONAL ISSUES for a quick time out on the water. Boats aren't like cars in that most of the time you can't just pull over and flag someone down or call a friend to come pick you up. Unless in shallow enough water and equipped with proper anchoring gear boats generally don't just sit stationary when not under power. Sometimes this may not be an issue, at others they could wind up having the tide/current/wind take them offshore, toward a dam, or just farther from shore in bad weather.
I grew up commercial fishing in every setting from rivers, marsh, to the Gulf of Mex. on everything from pirogues to shrimp trawlers and worked the oilfield on crewboats and supply boats. I took it for granted that everyone piloting boats knew about them. They might be jerks in 50' sport fishers with no sea manners but I figured they atleast knew about handling their boats.
Moving to S Fla (Miami, Key Largo, and Ft Myers) and being around freshly retired snow-birds, week-end warriors, and vacation rentals shocked me. Its the things you will take for granted as an experienced boater that you won't think to tell a new boater that will get them into trouble first. Stuff like boats don't have "brakes" and just because you can see water doesn't mean its deep enough for your boat to navigate there, etc.
I agree that your idea is noble, but time and hands-on instruction with instant question/feedback are what is needed for someone totally green to boating. Would you feel comfortable knowing a significant portion of the cars coming toward you on a two lane undivided highway had watched a couple of videos and were out "giving it a shot" on the road with you?

Last edited:
Check out youtube

There are an amazing number of YouTube videos that address all these topics. Be sure to link these to your webinar

I don't think there is any educational content that you can create that has not already been created by the United States Power Squadrons, now called, as already noted, America's Boating Club. From introduction to boating classes, to celestial navigation, marine electronics to anchoring, trailer boating and knot/bends and hitches seminars, you can't beat the USPS educational offerings. There is even an online training option.

I don't want to discourage you from your venture, but you'll need to get very specific to avoid duplicating what's already been done. Maybe a better use of your resources would be to join a local power squadron or USCG Aux, unit and volunteer to do Vessel Safety Checks at your local marinas and boat launching ramps. That would do more to improve boater safety than any kind of webinar.

Hey cruiser, sorry to hear about your loss.
I've been a rec boater since I was a little kid, sail and power so I like you all, don't remember 'what it was like' to know 'nothing'.
On your topic, not sure if this is an OB or I/O boat- there are some safety steps with I/Os that OB's dont require.
Other.... You mentioned trailering. This is a whole separate topical arena than 'boating' so I won't touch on that now.
You implied your family is experienced boating passengers, not operators.
Things I've seen and tips along the way.
Always have at least one other person on board competent to operate the boat in the event of an emergency.
Going to have people in the water on toys, or just cruising ? If planning on toys, the operators and passenger/spotter should become thoroughly proficient w/all facets of operation BEFORE putting people, floats, and lines out (as you know, much more complex affair)
Cognizance including the line (and proximity to your prop) bottom structure/depth, other fixed structures, poles, docks, etc, other boat traffic - to name a few.......

Rules of the road, USCG equipment, safe operation, etc will all be covered in any boating class.

Gotchas for newbies- everything about the boat ramp. Its got this mystical aura about it. For one if its crowded, forget it, not worth the stress.
For two, have some sort of system and never deviate.
Our system to be out of the water in under 2 min was my wife dropped me at the dock, and proceeded to move away and idle about while I retrieved vehicle and trailer. When it was our turn I dropped it in the water, put in park and locked the E-brake, she drove it onto trailer, I hooked the bow line, and pulled it out (She still onboard). We proceeded to the out of the way staging/departure area to strap it, stow gear, etc.

First off for newbie, mechanical and electrical operation of the boat. On the trailer with the flush kit attached, you can go through (repeatedly) engine start, stop, blower(s) , lights, bilge pump, trim/tilt, whatever gadgets you have. Until comfortable. Then under the 'hood' the major systems and what they do starting with the all important battery(ies) and what/where the on/off switch for same is, if equipped. Fuel filler, oil tank if equipped, water/fuel separator, etc....

Operating a boat. I find newbies are hesitant on the throttle- when taking off they like to mush along bow high and not simply apply a good deal more throttle to plane out- then back off. This seems to be a 'feel' thing, I guess... Bow high is the worst thing, you cannot see ahead of you, your drawing a ton of water, and its inefficient.

Docking, second only to putting the boat on a trailer, docking is the most terrifying aspect of boating. IDK, you just do it (how to teach that ?) We are on the relatively calm Indian River of E Central FL, you have wind but not current to deal with. Practice on a weekday when nobody is out. Dont even dream about going on a Sunday.....Your local ramp and such will dictate the best practices for docking, IMHO.

I'd also suggest, use the same ramp a bunch of times. You know as a boater they are all different; the pitch, the end of ramp, the dock(s) arrangement, parking, parking lot logistics, water depth, markers, hazards, etc. Dont make this a variable too early, knowing your ramp takes away a lot of stress (A newbie doesnt need).

Be the first one in at the sign of oncoming weather (basically any FL summer afternoon, eh?!) - there will be a 'ramp rush' when the weather deteriorates, dont be part of it. Or better yet, boat in the morning, its almost always calmer (pre shore-breezes) and cooler...

Power Squdron course is great, but let's face it, for most boaters, 1/2 that stuff goes right of their heads. geezee has the right idea. Allow me to add a few:

1. Simple in water courtesy...who has right of way and why
2. How to get on and off plane safely (for you, your boat, and your passengers)
3. How to handle your boat in emergency situations and knowing the limits of the boat (hard turns, goosing the throttle, hard stops)....by feel. This is taught at 'how to drive' clinics for teens..and 'test driving' emergency situations under a watchful eye makes one more confident.
4. How to read navigation buoys (e.g. the old red right return trick). Quiz them on every trip and have them 'read' a new one every 4th or 5th trip. Most folks cannot remember all of them at once, go slow.
5. Procedures to start and stop the boat (in order, never deviate). I'm always terrified of forgetting the bilge blower :)

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/geezee-19162.html

Since it would be hard to create original content, you could focus on your local boating area. Which ramps are less crowded, good at low tide, when to stay in the ICW vs going outside, how to read an inlet and when the best time to go in and out, boat friendly restaurants, etc.

Another option would be to mount a GoPro on your helm and just go for a cruise....point out good and bad behavior, and anything else you witness.

When I used to work on Singer Island ( just north of West Palm Beach ) I'd take my lunch breat at either the inlet and watch the traffic, or go to the boat ramp and just enjoy the show.

Back
Top Bottom