New to Florida HEAT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spent one year in New Jersey. On many summer days, I'd break out in a sweat merely tying my shoes in the morning. Nearly died in the heat and humidity in Colombia while outdoors and not exerting. Hate humidity!

Spent one year in New Jersey. On many summer days, I'd break out in a sweat merely tying my shoes in the morning. Nearly died in the heat and humidity in Colombia while outdoors and not exerting. Hate humidity!

Wifey B: Just curious at what ages you had the NJ and Colombia times? :)

"Sissies........Try south Texas in August. We have been having a mild summer here till the last week. The apparent temp is over 105F quite often. And yet we work in it.....for about an hour ......and then we spend half an hour in the AC at 79F cooling off. I remember my first summer in Texas was in Dallas (NorthTexas) and I arrived in mid September to a radio announcement that there had just been 90 consecutive days with the actual temp being 100F or more. Back in those days, the 50s, the apparent temp was not measured. But as the Arizonans say, "its just Dry heat"

You must be speaking of the summer of 1980 - my wife and I had graduated as freshly minted MBA's from SMU and started our new jobs Sep of '79. That following summer was deadly - you know, when the TV weathermen were frying eggs on car hoods - it will be forever seared in my memory:banghead:

Last edited:
I do all my own work here in Sarasota. Between neck coolers, shade and Gatorade, I get about 2-3 hours per day outside before I have to cool down. Direct sun will cut that by a third. If there’s an afternoon shower, maybe an hour afterward. It still leaves time for projects inside with A/C.

If it is cool, you can always put on another layer. I’d hate to be trapped indoors due to hot weather.

Well, I feel the opposite. If you drop me neked in the coldest temp on earth I will die within minutes. But if you drop me neked in the hottest place on earth, if I work fast, I may be able to survive till night then reassess my position.

I worked one summer in the Mojave desert, OUTSIDE. It was a survey crew. My father was the boss, about 200 miles away in an air conditioned office in San Diego. We went to work at 6AM and quit at noon when it was too hot to pick up the brass plum bob if you dropped it in the sand. On the first day the crew chief called my father and whined, "Mr Isbell, its 130 degrees in the shade.". My father replied, "Well then, stay the hell out of the shade!"

Last edited:
I've been practicing. I work in the garage, no sun but not much air. I can take about 2 hours. Then it's Gatorade and A/C.

The humidity is brutal. I am determined. I will drink water and pay attention to my heart rate. I'll get it done, I'm sure. Two hours at a time, the bottom should take me a couple of weeks. Wax should be another week. At least, while sitting in the A/C and reading stuff on TF.

If you hear about an older gentleman collapsing at Safe Cove Marina, that's me!

Jimisbell, you and I learned a very worthwhile lesson. Never work for your father if there are other men on the crew. He will work you twice as hard and pay you half as much just to show the other men how lucky they had it. LOL

You must be speaking of the summer of 1980 - my wife and I had graduated as freshly minted MBA's from SMU and started our new jobs Sep of '79. That following summer was deadly - you know, when the TV weathermen were frying eggs on car hoods - it will be forever seared in my memory:banghead:

No, it was the summer of 1956. My first year (Sophomore) at SMU. The only buildings on campus that were air conditioned in those days were the Frat houses, so I joined, and the engineering school, so I enrolled in engineering. The basement of the Rotunda was where they held English classes and the only windows were little ones at the tops of the walls that exited barely above ground. Any paper on your desk was soaking wet from sweat.

Jimisbell, you and I learned a very worthwhile lesson. Never work for your father if there are other men on the crew. He will work you twice as hard and pay you half as much just to show the other men how lucky they had it. LOL

I just corrected an error on that post, it was 130 degrees not 103 degrees. As to working me harder, yes. And it is now very much appreciated though he is gone now so I cant thank him as I should have when he was alive. But because it was a County job he had to pay me the county scale.

I spent a year in Alaska. January 1961(?) in Fairbanks was below 40 below (doesnt matter C or F, the curves cross at 40 below) for the entire month. We had to do any outside work because the military was forbidden to go outside below -40. Never got above that temp all month even at noon. When I got home (Dallas) I told my wife that I had had all the "winter" that any man should endure in a whole lifetime and we moved south. She never got to Alaska and now wants to go on a cruise to Alaska and does not understand my refusal to return to that hell. My favorite poem is "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service I understand Sam very well.

I've been practicing. I work in the garage, no sun but not much air. I can take about 2 hours. Then it's Gatorade and A/C.

The humidity is brutal. I am determined. I will drink water and pay attention to my heart rate. I'll get it done, I'm sure. Two hours at a time, the bottom should take me a couple of weeks. Wax should be another week. At least, while sitting in the A/C and reading stuff on TF.

If you hear about an older gentleman collapsing at Safe Cove Marina, that's me!

Wifey B: While I can't guarantee you'll adjust to the heat, you will become more comfy with the humidity. In fact, after a while, traveling to dry areas will really bother you as your skin will be use to the moisture. Just don't overdo it. :)

I just corrected an error on that post, it was 130 degrees not 103 degrees. As to working me harder, yes. And it is now very much appreciated though he is gone now so I cant thank him as I should have when he was alive. But because it was a County job he had to pay me the county scale.

I spent a year in Alaska. January 1961(?) in Fairbanks was below 40 below (doesnt matter C or F, the curves cross at 40 below) for the entire month. We had to do any outside work because the military was forbidden to go outside below -40. Never got above that temp all month even at noon. When I got home (Dallas) I told my wife that I had had all the "winter" that any man should endure in a whole lifetime and we moved south. She never got to Alaska and now wants to go on a cruise to Alaska and does not understand my refusal to return to that hell. My favorite poem is "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service I understand Sam very well.

Jimisbell, I worked all day outside at -46 below while traverising the area on snowshoes, laying out cut lines for tree harvesting.
Return after an early dark, eat and have ice cream outside for dessert, next to the open cesspool. I left 3 months later and started look for a forest job in SC then went to FL. Finally found one in south GA.

Heard at the crematorium, "Close the door, I feel a draft."

Last edited:
Greetings,
A technique I've used successfully in the past is a Popsicle. Get hot? Go to shade and rest for 5 minutes or so then, slowly eat a Popsicle. Seems to cool down core temperature gradually...

Another proven method is to soak your forearm in ice water. But I much prefer the first...

200w.gif

Slap on a coat of cheap bottom paint , launch the boat.

Haul it in WINTER to not die of the heat.

Not sure how boat ac works without being in the water to provide cooling for the condenser? I bought my boat in April in mid fla Indiantown, had lots of work to do to prep for trip north to HH. It was brutal, hot and buggy, no ac because she was hauled. I worked a few hours and would rest for a while had fans and used sweat and fans to cool me off. Decks get pretty hot so wear good shoes if on them be careful with any metal left in the sun I actually got a bad burn just picking a wrench up I left laying out?

Not sure how boat ac works without being in the water to provide cooling for the condenser? I bought my boat in April in mid fla Indiantown, had lots of work to do to prep for trip north to HH. It was brutal, hot and buggy, no ac because she was hauled. I worked a few hours and would rest for a while had fans and used sweat and fans to cool me off. Decks get pretty hot so wear good shoes if on them be careful with any metal left in the sun I actually got a bad burn just picking a wrench up I left laying out?

I would not spend one day in the summer in Indiantown without air conditioning. But then I wouldn't in Hilton Head either.

Summers can be brutal anywhere for the most part. I've experienced some of the hottest weather in Williston, ND. And it's brutal in mid Tennessee in the summer.

However the more northern states don't have the constant heat that Florida has over the 4 month summer.

It's just what one gets used to and a lot of good points on dealing with it in the FL heat. Work in the am, build yourself shade and have a hat. Take a break mid day and resume later. All good solutions.

I like to get out on the water early afternoon, splash around and it hot, jump in. When I get back to the dock, I shower off at the dock shower and jump in the hot jacuzzi with a cold beer. Works for me.

I wish I had moved to FL sooner... but my folks wouldn't let me out of the play pen.

I just watched a documentary on Netflix about the 2014 search for Sir John Franklins expedition to find the North West Passage in 1845-48. Neither he nor his two ships were ever seen again until 2014 when they found one of the ships.

It was a well found expedition, but they set out in the coldest period of recent history, at a time when the NW Passage stayed frozen solid with them in it, for three years. Apparently they either froze or starved to death.

I will stick to the south coast of Texas.

I will stick to the south coast of Texas.

With the poisonous and constricting snakes and alligators and poisonous spider and cockroaches as big as your 2 finger.

With the poisonous and constricting snakes and alligators and poisonous spider and cockroaches as big as your 2 finger.

Oh yes, better than freezing to death while eating lead contaminated food and cannibalizing your shipmates and knowing no one will come looking for you till the ice melts. Yes, I will take an itchy spider bite every time.

BTW, I love the name of your boat....Buffet fan I take it.

BTW, I love the name of your boat....Buffet fan I take it.

Came with the boat.
Has 3 meanings. 1, An island in the Virgin Islands. 2, the name of a group who's motto is 'understanding through discussion'. The ladies like that. Boy howdy, do I have them fooled. Finally, according to a man from the islands, it means 'drug lord.' That one, I could do without.

This my first summer in Stuart, FL. We live aboard and our car is in the marina parking lot. My two best friends are air conditioning on the boat and the remote starter for the car. At this moment the temperature is 95 degrees F at 5:45 PM. I'm afraid to look at the humidity. I pay for most outside boat work that can't wait for cooler weather. Suffering is not on my to do list.

This my first summer in Stuart, FL. We live aboard and our car is in the marina parking lot. My two best friends are air conditioning on the boat and the remote starter for the car. At this moment the temperature is 95 degrees F at 5:45 PM. I'm afraid to look at the humidity. I pay for most outside boat work that can't wait for cooler weather. Suffering is not on my to do list.

The Stuart area is fantastic area. Everything is close and there are some mom and pop fish places that area fantastic.
This area, Aventura, is home of the uppity up, (Chuckle). Things here are spread out and no small seafood places.
"They" say the Stuart cut needs some caution and you must pay attention. I never had a problem. I think you will enjoy time there.
I suspect there are some nice slips for sale. Plus you are close to the cross FL canal too.
Plus, Stuart is the home of Chapman School of Seamanship too.

The Stuart area is fantastic area. Everything is close and there are some mom and pop fish places that area fantastic.
This area, Aventura, is home of the uppity up, (Chuckle). Things here are spread out and no small seafood places.
"They" say the Stuart cut needs some caution and you must pay attention. I never had a problem. I think you will enjoy time there.
I suspect there are some nice slips for sale. Plus you are close to the cross FL canal too.
Plus, Stuart is the home of Chapman School of Seamanship too.

If you're in Stuart, check out Mulligan's fish and chips!

Came with the boat.
Has 3 meanings. 1, An island in the Virgin Islands.

Its a fictional island in the Caribbean. Made up by Jimmy Buffett for his song, describing the Legend of Norman Paperman.

The following is taken from:

Jimmy Buffett - Intro-The Legend Of Norman Paperman/Kinja Lyrics | MetroLyrics

"Kinja was the name of the island when it was British. The actual name was King George The Third Island, but the islanders shortened that to Kinja. Now the name in the maps and the guidebooks is Amerigo, but everybody who still lives there still calls it Kinja. The United States acquired the island peaceably in 1940 as part of the shuffling of old destroyers and Caribbean real estate that went on between Mr. Roosevelt and Mr. Churchill. The details of the transaction were and are vague to the inhabitants. The West Indian is not exactly hostile to change, but he's not much inclined to believe in it. Meantime in a fashion Amerigo is getting Americanized. The inflow of cash is making everyone more prosperous. Most Kinjans go along cheerily with this explosion of American energy in the Caribbean. To them it seems like a new harmless and apparently endless Carnival."

All fiction.

I will bet that the previous owner was a "Parrot Head" the name given to Jimmy Buffett fans. Yes, I am one.

Last edited:
Its a fictional island in the Caribbean. Made up by Jimmy Buffett for his song, describing the Legend of Norman Paperman.

The following is taken from:

"Kinja was the name of the island when it was British. The actual name was King George The Third Island, but the islanders shortened that to Kinja. Now the name in the maps and the guidebooks is Amerigo, but everybody who still lives there still calls it Kinja. The United States acquired the island peaceably in 1940 as part of the shuffling of old destroyers and Caribbean real estate that went on between Mr. Roosevelt and Mr. Churchill. The details of the transaction were and are vague to the inhabitants. The West Indian is not exactly hostile to change, but he's not much inclined to believe in it. Meantime in a fashion Amerigo is getting Americanized. The inflow of cash is making everyone more prosperous. Most Kinjans go along cheerily with this explosion of American energy in the Caribbean. To them it seems like a new harmless and apparently endless Carnival."

All fiction.

I will bet that the previous owner was a "Parrot Head" the name given to Jimmy Buffett fans. Yes, I am one.

Kinja is a real island. The name was change for a dumb reason associated with WWII

I wonder if my little bitty boat can make it here and back after refueling and buying stores.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom