Hilton Head Island to Cumberland Island suggestions ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
At average speed of 5 knots (this, not in my regular boat). No generator in this one so I envision staying at perhaps Isle of Hope first night...but where to stay on next round that has a 30 amp power connection ?

Also, does Cumberland Island have a day dock large enough for a 32 footer that is likely to have some vacant space this time of year ?

Also I haven't stayed in a marina as a transient in decades. I remember being aghast at seeing $1 a foot some places in the early 90's.....what is more typical these days per foot plus one power connection for just one night ?

At average speed of 5 knots (this, not in my regular boat). No generator in this one so I envision staying at perhaps Isle of Hope first night...but where to stay on next round that has a 30 amp power connection ?

Also, does Cumberland Island have a day dock large enough for a 32 footer that is likely to have some vacant space this time of year ?

Also I haven't stayed in a marina as a transient in decades. I remember being aghast at seeing $1 a foot some places in the early 90's.....what is more typical these days per foot plus one power connection for just one night ?

$10 per foot.

Ok, once you've recovered from the shock, anywhere from $0.50 to $8, but it varies by size. In the area you're talking about for a 32' probably $1.50-2.00.

Marinas are rather limited along the Georgia ICW from Isle of Hope to Brunswick. Go to https://activecaptain.garmin.com/Map and look for marinas along the way. They will mostly be fish camps, cheap but not elegant. May or may not have power.

For Cumberland Island I assume you mean the National Seashore at the south end where there are campsites and the Dungeness ruins. There is a dinghy dock at the ranger station near the camping area but a 32' boat is probably too big to tie up, and certainly no power there.

There is a decent anchorage across from the dinghy dock with plenty of room. But it sounds like you want A/C and that won't work without a generator. I wouldn't go there this time of year without a generator and A/C.

David

And take one of these for the deer flies.

Half Moon Marina up the Newport is kind of cool, and for some nice redneck funk, there is Kilkenny.

You could drop folks off at the dock on Cumberland, but can't tie up there. An alternative is to dock in St. Mary's and take the ferry.

Half Moon Marina up the Newport is kind of cool, s
Tried calling Half Moon a few times and only get a fax beep...so I call their fax number and that one is disconnected ! Emailed them via the address on their Facebook page...maybe someone will respond.

Any idea how far off the ICW the place is ?

Been to all 3...all an adventure to a point....

Half Moon is by far the most difficult due to the not so great channel marking much of the time.

Might be great now, but for years it was just unmarked pilings on the grass islands up the river...and when I went a couple years back, a few were missing.

Been to all 3...all an adventure to a point....

Half Moon is by far the most difficult due to the not so great channel marking much of the time.

Might be great now, but for years it was just unmarked pilings on the grass islands up the river...and when I went a couple years back, a few were missing.

Mayhe more than a couple of years....

It's been perked up a lot since then, being part of a condo complex. Not sure if open to public or not now, come to think of it. Sunbury might be the best bet overall. Kilkenny used to have decent fuel prices, which is why I went up there one time. Depending on one's tastes it was kinda of funky/red neck cool or a dump..

Back
Top Bottom