Only owned Mahalo for a week, and someone tried to steal her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, scary and a sad commentary on Seattle's SLU waterfront. We are in a very old, basic, somewhat-run-down but gated marina not too far from where you're getting commissioned. Fortunately we seem to have enough liveaboards in the marina and street traffic outside (to the restaurant/banquet hall next door) that we don't seem run into issues (yet anyway). While we don't live aboard I've taken to leaving a light on in the salon to at least make it look occupied. I figure that might deter the drunken kid factor but who knows what a motivated thief or addict would be willing to do.

Without getting into it here, I do have to wonder what our city council is doing. It's getting worse, with no real plan or options at scale for the homeless or addicted. I often wonder what people getting on and off cruise ships downtown must think of our fair city. Sad all around really.

All said, you handled two very scary and dicey situations incredibly well, securing your new boat in more than one way. Well done!

Last edited:
Don't want to imagine what would have happened with your boat if you weren't there. Now, can you trust marina security if you aren't present? ... Calling 911 and turning on exterior lights are a sound initial response if one is present. ... If I had a firearm available, I'd take it in hand in case the trespasser took the offensive.

Also, the thruster mystery has been solved. Have to have the "STABILIZER" breaker on.

ARGH.

The reasoning makes sense, ABT-Trac makes both.

Would have been nice to know. We have some "captain training" coming up, I'm sure they would go over that then.

I just needed that info a few days ago...

During my absences during the last seven years, thieves have stolen a hose stored on the dock and taken a pump from the canvas-covered dinghy on top of the saloon roof. The marina has locked/gated docks and supposed night security. So the thieves were probably fellow dockers or outsiders coming by boat.

Last edited:
Notice toothbrush on the dock, change of clothes and food in backpack. The perp was going places - and planned to use your vessel. It would be very hard to sell your boat, so there may have been a bigger plan that ended with scuttling. Being near the border, this situation could have been very dangerous for you. I'm glad you were able to scare him off without confrontation. Personally, I would have been frozen with fright. You did well.

Even if he tried to take the boat, he wouldn't get very far. If he didn't run aground in either of the cuts in/out of Lake Union, it's almost certain he wouldn't make it out through the lock to the sound. I think the likely outcome would have just been boat damage, which would have sucked.

Some years ago someone stole a boat from our marina, tearing out the dock cleats, raiding the alcohol beverages, and running ashore outside the Golden Gate.

Where could the guy have gone? Its Lake Union. Don't you have to go through Ballard Lock to get out? Can't imagine that happening. It was probably going to be a reckless (Wreckful?) joyride.

I'm glad it all worked out in the end, Bob.

Yes - there are some random types people out there. I guess if someone want to take a boat for a joyride, they go for a nice, big one. The clear thinking types may go for one they can handle, but they usually aren't the ones going for joyrides.

"If I had the same situation, the thief would be face down on the deck with a 44 mag pointing at his head until the cops showed up."

A 44Mag would do damage to your boat , a shotgun with rock salt is a better choice for deck sweeping.

"If I had the same situation, the thief would be face down on the deck with a 44 mag pointing at his head until the cops showed up."

A 44Mag would do damage to your boat , a shotgun with rock salt is a better choice for deck sweeping.

If you are gonna go hero, do it right. Dead men tell no lies. You would end up holding the short end of that stick once law enforcement got involved, at least a very likely possibility.

Bob - Sorry to hear about your incident. May I post your story on our Facebook page as a “Cautionary Tale”? I’d remove any specific references to your yacht broker, etc. (“the names have been changed to protect the innocent”...) as anyone looking to overnight anywhere on Lake Union needs to be aware. This is, of course, not the first time we’ve heard of such things in the Seattle area. Thanks!

So glad to hear you weren't hurt, Bob. Scary indeed.

Have you thought about securing the lines boat side? Won't stop persistent knuckle heads but could prevent dock side line releases?

Bob - Sorry to hear about your incident. May I post your story on our Facebook page as a “Cautionary Tale”? I’d remove any specific references to your yacht broker, etc. (“the names have been changed to protect the innocent”...) as anyone looking to overnight anywhere on Lake Union needs to be aware. This is, of course, not the first time we’ve heard of such things in the Seattle area. Thanks!

Everyone is calling this a Seattle problem. A reminder, it's a world problem. Any area that tells you they're risk free is either lying or under an illusion. From the largest city to the smallest, most wonderful town. From the US to Europe to the Caribbean.

A statistic I heard about three years ago was that nearly 50% of all persons arrested for property crimes were found to be on meth. Over 48% of all persons incarcerated are on drug related offenses. The drug of choice for a particular period is determined by a combination of availability and price.

I've dealt with employees on drugs in the smallest rural towns and in large cities.

Everyone is calling this a Seattle problem.

I’m not going to call it a “Seattle problem”. I’m in the city right now enjoying a lovely lunch. However, we frequent Seattle and know lots of liveaboards and marina tenants here and we've heard of similar incidents before. Not frequent enough to say it’s a constant problem, but I feel like a quick warning for area boaters to be extra vigilant is fine.

If this had happened in another PNW city with previous similar issues I would do the same thing.

I’m not going to call it a “Seattle problem”. I’m in the city right now enjoying a lovely lunch. However, we frequent Seattle and know lots of liveaboards and marina tenants here and we've heard of similar incidents before. Not frequent enough to say it’s a constant problem, but I feel like a quick warning for area boaters to be extra vigilant is fine.

If this had happened in another PNW city with previous similar issues I would do the same thing.

But that's my point. Every city has similar issues. You don't know about them because you aren't there. I'm a Fort Lauderdale fan through and through and think it's paradise, but I doubt there's a marina here that hasn't had theft. And any city where it hasn't happened, it will.

But that's my point.

I completely understand and agree with you.

Our Facebook page is Pacific NW Boater and we specifically deal in news and information from Oregon to Alaska, with an emphasis on Washington and British Columbia. We post “good stuff” 99% of the time, but on occasion will post relevant news that’s isnt necessarily positive.

In this case we just might help a fellow boater in our area avoid a major headache by increasing his or her awareness. We won’t harp on it (we just want to make a single post) and we won’t make it just a “Seattle problem”. It was merely an unfortunate incident that happened to take place there. And even more unfortunately, it will happen again sometime in the future. In many cities around the world.

If this had happened in Ft. Lauderdale or any other city outside of the Pacific NW I would not be posting about it.

Anyway, if Bob asks me not to publicize the incident (even removing names, etc.), I won’t.

I completely understand and agree with you.

Our Facebook page is Pacific NW Boater and we specifically deal in news and information from Oregon to Alaska, with an emphasis on Washington and British Columbia. We post “good stuff” 99% of the time, but on occasion will post relevant news that’s isnt necessarily positive.

In this case we just might help a fellow boater in our area avoid a major headache by increasing his or her awareness. We won’t harp on it (we just want to make a single post) and we won’t make it just a “Seattle problem”. It was merely an unfortunate incident that happened to take place there. And even more unfortunately, it will happen again sometime in the future. In many cities around the world.

If this had happened in Ft. Lauderdale or any other city outside of the Pacific NW I would not be posting about it.

Anyway, if Bob asks me not to publicize the incident (even removing names, etc.), I won’t.

I think you can easily post that you became aware of another case of someone attempting to board and take a boat docked at a "secure" local marina or even a "secure' Lake Union marina. The warning to boaters is one needed. Perhaps some will think it's their marina when it isn't and that isn't necessarily bad.

While this is not a Seattle only problem, Seattle is a special case, over 80% of our homeless people have come from some were else. They have heard that we allow you to live for free in our water front parks, that we hand out free food, clothes and money. They have heard that our city council is setting up free drug use zones and free medical attention if you overdose. Our city council is even discussing dispensing free drugs. Seattle has become a very dangerous place.

On the plus side, Shilshole Marina is 25% live aboard, there is very little crime in the parking areas and almost nothing once you are on the docks.

While this is not a Seattle only problem, Seattle is a special case, over 80% of our homeless people have come from some were else. They have heard that we allow you to live for free in our water front parks, that we hand out free food, clothes and money. They have heard that our city council is setting up free drug use zones and free medical attention if you overdose. Our city council is even discussing dispensing free drugs. Seattle has become a very dangerous place.

While the above seems to make sense, I would hesitate to accept it as the truth without the research to support it.

Without getting into it here, I do have to wonder what our city council is doing. It's getting worse, with no real plan or options at scale for the homeless or addicted. Sad all around really.

If you pay them, they will come.

Todd

Seattle is welcoming the dirtbags with open arms.

I believe that 90% of the homeless in King County, were actually living in King County when they became homeless. Many folks that move to an area are homeless until they can find sufficient employment to afford housing. So, this would argue against the idea that hoards of homeless are streaming into the welcoming arms of King County.

I’ve not seen any research about addicts specifically. Who knows, maybe needle exchange programs, safe injection spaces, and first responders that carry Narcan are drawing addicts from the PNW like ants to sugar?

The only thing about the Seattle story is that it may be a relatively new phenomena there. When I lived there the first time, there were places in Tacoma where even the cops wouldn't go. When I lived in Renton in the 90's things were pretty safe. The "Amazon effect" has probably made things quite a bit worse in the last 10 years. Cities vying for Amazon HQ2 better be careful what they wish for.

As for people "borrowing" boats, that have been going on in Miami and South Florida for a very long time and there they can make a pretty easy getaway. Most everyone who boats there knows someone personally that has had a boat stolen.

P.S. I bet the wait list to get a slip in Shilshoe is still many years long. When I lived there long ago, it was something like 10 years at least.

Last edited:

Feel free to post on your FB page. Certainly I would like to help any other boater.

I believe that 90% of the homeless in King County, were actually living in King County when they became homeless. Many folks that move to an area are homeless until they can find sufficient employment to afford housing. So, this would argue against the idea that hoards of homeless are streaming into the welcoming arms of King County.

I’ve not seen any research about addicts specifically. Who knows, maybe needle exchange programs, safe injection spaces, and first responders that carry Narcan are drawing addicts from the PNW like ants to sugar?

Sorry, as usual my comment was too vague. And I didn’t mean to imply the dirtbag that attempted to steal Mahalo was homeless. I’m glad Bob chased the criminal away and no one was injured. I’m sure the SPD take this kind of thing seriously.

Wow

Makes you wonder, if it makes sense to have a "hidden" kill switch so that the engines would not have started (if you weren't there to deter them)

Ron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom