NZ Navy vessel came close to capsize in Southern Ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...consider pregnancy as an easy out." I guess it depends on the intensity and duration of labor...Our first was about 20 minutes. Our second seemed like it took forever.

200w.gif

This was a political thread from the first post. The article linked is about a wave vs ship moment and yet it manages to loop in Chinese Human Rights and Global Warming ?

The thread title might as well have been "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here...."

Well played Sir, well played!!! LMAO::lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...consider pregnancy as an easy out." I guess it depends on the intensity and duration of labor...Our first was about 20 minutes. Our second seemed like it took forever.

200w.gif

RT, I know of female officers and enlisted women who told me, "If I dont like the (Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force etc) I will just get pregnant and get an early out. Meanwhile the shipmate fathers have to support the woman and child.

Sure am glad I was sterile. "Still not pregnant? Guess we better keep trying."
LOL Fooled her.

I'm not so sure about that. If you follow the Naval Service you'll see it's still a pretty hot topic. Not saying who is right or wrong, I'm just saying that the gender issue isn't anything like settled.

People are weird...how could anyones gender compromise how they operate a vessel or supervise people? Some organizations are slow in adapting to a new normal. Women weren't allowed to compete in the marathon at the Olympics until 1984, one reason being it was feared their uteruses would fall out.

I like Prime Minister Trudeau's quote when asked why 1/2 his cabinet members were women, and he said "Because it's 2015"

Last edited:
Dan - the first wave of female submarine officers will not screen for command until 2024 (assuming they touch all the required career bases). This would place the initial fem sub CO assignment at about 2026.

This isn't an issue of the inate ability (or inability) of females to perform tech functions. It is a fact that, in 2016, 16% of afloat female sailors were pregnant and reassigned from ships to shore duty. These transfers and the backfill cost the USN $110 million. Not to mention the effect on teams and unit cohesiveness.

"Because it's 2015" isn't much of an answer.

Sbu22 and don't forget, the "father" must give the woman about 1/2 his pay forever even if they never marry or she refuses to see him or let him see the child ever again.

Yea, I may seem to be coming off as the 'heavy' but, this does happen way too often.

Maybe 20 years ago, pregnancy was an auto discharge. Now they fill of the shore billets, so the men cant have access to them. I was a machinist mate and I think there 100 shore billets available for this rate. I am not sure why any women can go into that rate unless it involved nuclear power training but, that use to recall, that's a 7 year enlistment. LOL

Last edited:
Apologize for the tone and drift.

This isn't an issue of the inate ability (or inability) of females to perform tech functions. It is a fact that, in 2016, 16% of afloat female sailors were pregnant and reassigned from ships to shore duty. These transfers and the backfill cost the USN $110 million. Not to mention the effect on teams and unit cohesiveness.

The Canadian Government apparently takes a different view, in that it's not seen as an inconvenience and they want parents to take the time to establish bonds with their children.

Paternity leave in Canadian Forces - 37 weeks.
Paternity leave in US Army - 14 days.

Maternity leave in Canadian Forces (while pregnant and after) - 55 weeks,
Maternity leave in US Army - 12 weeks.

Adoption leave is also 37 weeks in Canada.

Last edited:
The Canadian Government apparently takes a different view, in that it's not seen as an inconvenience and they want parents to take the time to establish bonds with their children.

Paternity leave in Canadian Forces - 37 weeks.
Paternity leave in US Army - 14 days.

Maternity leave in Canadian Forces (while pregnant and after) - 55 weeks,
Maternity leave in US Army - 12 weeks.

Adoption leave is also 37 weeks in Canada.

Might have something to do with a culture more martial and less social engineering centered, especially in the Naval Service. Think Tailhook and the Marine Corps continued resistance to women in combat MOS.

Not knocking the Army, CG, and Air Force .... :D well, maybe sort of, a little bit.

USCG had female COs of combatants long before the Navy. :)

And yes, the USCG is then crazy enough to offer longer maternity leaves and then penalize them for not working enough.

Last edited:
My opinion doesn’t have any weight but I was never a believe in GW but a few days ago I was on South Beach (yeah July and it is hot) anyway this obvious stripper/model is walking down Ocean Drive in the smallest bikini I’ve ever seen and she is bouncing out with each step. I know my tempature went up plus two male drivers who ran into each other. That was global warming and I’m a believer, I wish I thought to ask for her number but I was too hot to have a functioning brain (all my blood went to the other head).

Back
Top Bottom