Boat Dragging Onto Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
What an interesting afternoon we had yesterday. I was walking through the pilothouse and noticed the little trawler (Albin I believe) anchored ahead of us was getting closer, and closer with each wind gust. I went out to the foredeck and, yep, she was dragging anchor down on top of us. Her dinghy was gone so her folks were ashore. I gave a couple of blast of the horn just in case someone was on board but no response. I called Sian and asked her to get some fenders ready.
I called the dockmaster. When we anchor and dinghy ashore they ask us to leave contact details in case they need to call us. I told him what was going on and asked him to check to see if he had contact details for these people, he did - but he tried multiple times with no answer so left messages. We took our snubber off and laid out more chain to back away from the boat. I would have preferred to lift anchor and move away but we were both sailing back and forth and that would have increased the risk of us meeting. If it had gotten closer I would have started my engines and reversed against my anchor to one side.The dockmaster also called the Hampton police who responded both on land and by water. A rescue boat and a police patrol boat showed up. They grabbed the runaway and held her ahead of us. The owners finally showed up and lifted her dragging anchor. They apologized to us before taking off.

Attachments

• IMG_20180707_153451116_BURST001 (720x960).jpg
    IMG_20180707_153451116_BURST001 (720x960).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20180707_155907272 (960x720).jpg
    IMG_20180707_155907272 (960x720).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20180707_161214313_HDR (960x720).jpg
    IMG_20180707_161214313_HDR (960x720).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 304
Good thing the harbor and city were organized to assist. A lot of places I'm familiar with aren't that organized. Good thinking on alternate plan to back down on anchor to angle off. All's well that ends well!

Good move on your part to make a lot of phone calls. Some times a call to action brings the proper results, as it did in your case.

Ain't it fun to luck out!

Speaking to the dockmaster this morning he told us that both boats were stationed at Fort Monroe and had to be launched. So quick response overall.

I bet they dropped anchor, got into the dinghy and left never staying on board long enough to make sure the anchor was holding.

Glad you got through it. I`m just trying to pronounce the name of the offending vessel without getting smutty.

A good ending story :) Glad it was a nice end.

L

My 3rd time anchoring for a the night, I was they guy. I had a hard time getting the anchor to hold but it finally did. We spent that scenting swimming and then making dinner. Probably 3-4 hours went by. It was now dark and I was inside shoving my face full of dinner when my anchor alarm went off. I ran outside and saw an anchored sailboat cruising by us by no more than 20 feet! That’s about when I realized we were the ones moving, and by moving I mean hauling ass. I couldn’t believe it.

Anyway, I thought we were safe being that we were anchored for hours. Maybe those guys thought the same.

I can't think of any anchorage around me other than Block I that a harbormaster would take action.
I have gone aboard boats in that situation and have let out more line and re-anchored them. Or rafted them.

We had a Krogen 42 drag down on us in a gale.
I pulled our anchor before it was under his boat.
Since he wouldn’t go back (fwd) and reset we did and took his place in line .. a line of two.
Worst blow I’ve ever been in. Over 50 knots I’m guessing. Bout got blown off the foredeck. It’s good we used hand signals because no amount of shouting would’a worked.

I'm amazed at the response you got. Brings up a question of how many people have anchor alarms that will notify them when they aren't on the boat and/or cameras they can access when not on the boat.

I'm amazed at the response you got. Brings up a question of how many people have anchor alarms that will notify them when they aren't on the boat and/or cameras they can access when not on the boat.

Good idea on the camera. If you have an old smart phone, you can load not only an anchor alarm app, but also access the camera remotely with an app like "Alfred." You'd need a WiFi connection on the boat, or a cell service plan for the old phone.

For just checking the boat's location, in many harbors you can see your own AIS signal on MarineTraffic, FindShip or VesselFinder.

Good idea on the camera. If you have an old smart phone, you can load not only an anchor alarm app, but also access the camera remotely with an app like "Alfred." You'd need a WiFi connection on the boat, or a cell service plan for the old phone.

That's what I was hinting at that both are relatively easy and inexpensive today. Many ways to do it.

My self installed Swann security cameras can be accessed through wifi. However I do not have an anchor alarm that can be accessed remotely. Does any one have examples of that configuration?

Maybe it would be nice to have an app but if you are 20 minutes away it won't help. Bang bang unless someone helps you.

Fortunately.

While I understand what you mean, it wasn't exactly fortunate. As anchorage boats they allow you free dinghy dock, $1 showers etc. but you must leave your contact details in case they need to get in touch with you.

So more good management than fortunate

The buzz word app and phone numbers being mentioned constantly it’s strange the there’s far less mentioned about seamanship. After all this is a issue of seamanship. But the go-to solutions appear to be to get an app or two.
At least dock talk isn’t dominating the exchange.

The buzz word app and phone numbers being mentioned constantly it’s strange the there’s far less mentioned about seamanship. After all this is a issue of seamanship. But the go-to solutions appear to be to get an app or two.

Why not both? Even with excellent seamanship, ship happens.

menzies,
Of course but depending on electronic devices “primarily” seems a mistake as soon it would seem there will be no “both”. Just devices like i-phones and tablets. HaHa I’m pecking away at this on my i-pad ........

My self installed Swann security cameras can be accessed through wifi. However I do not have an anchor alarm that can be accessed remotely. Does any one have examples of that configuration?
I have an iPad app that will email me if my anchor alarm goes off. It is called "Anchor!"
I can't find it on Android apps.
Just set your email for alert sounds.

First, most people will eventually have an anchor drift, even those with great seamanship. We haven't but we know it can and will happen. Also, I can control my boat but not others and having an alarm alerts me if another boat moves into me and disrupts me plus cameras give me a view of anything going on and we do check cameras regularly. Now one can add to the cameras by setting a system to notify of anything within a certain field or distance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom