Grand Banks shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Breeze
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
We are going to take a preliminary look at a couple fiberglass Grand Banks next week -- a 32' and a 36' . Aside from the known "trouble spots" of decks, windows, fuel tanks, and the basic commonsense items, what would those of you on here who own Grand Banks suggest we specifically check out? (This is just a first look -- if we get that far, thorough boat and engine surveys are a given.) Thanks!

On the 36, that rear door hatch thing tends to leak...make sure the keels are dry (standpipe in the engine room). With those other things, everything else is typical. Also, rail hardware is unobtainium, depending on the year. Steering is cables and blocks so watch out for meat hooks. You want the remote tiller. You are just a caretaker for the next owner so don't buy one that's not been well looked after. Deferred maintenance and neglected exterior wood (there is lots) will take time and money to fix.

Buy a single if you are not very nimble on your knees and belly.

Having said all that, are you looking at glass or woodies? Personally, I like the 32 better than the 36 because of the poor outside deck space on the 36 and the Ozzie and Harriet bunks in the 36 rear cabin. A 32 is perfect for a couple. Oh and the lazarettes tend to leak. Look closely.

The 32 does have that crappy aft ladder to the flybridge...

Last edited:
Remote tiller? Unobtainium? (Both boats are mid-70s)

Glass. And yes, we are a bit on the fence between the 32' and the 36', for just those reasons! Love, love the larger cockpit on the 32', that would be our sweet spot. The 36' we are looking at, though, has been modified for a queen in the back. Prefer the 36' for the ability of the dog to get up on the aft cabin and up to the flybridge. But...in all of our dreams...it has ALWAYS been a Grand Banks 32 :) I think we'll know it when we find it.

Thanks for your pointers, I really appreciate it.

Hi,
As a former'88 GB36 owner, plumbing comes to mind. Many GBs of that vintage had aluminum water tanks which were susceptible to pitting due to chlorine in fresh water. Mcmaster Carr has magnesium anodes which solve the problem, but the tanks are old and the damage has already been done. The other issue is the grey plastic pvc pipe which comprises the plumbing runs. It becomes brittle with age and the crimped elbows and tee connections have a tendency to leak. Sharkbite connections available at Home Depot can be used to replace these, but the plumbing was installed before the decks went on and access in many areas is difficult.

All that said, a well maintained GB will always garner appreciative comments, and ours rewarded us with several free nights in marinas and yacht clubs from smitten onlookers. Almost makes all that knee time on the decks, windows and varnish worthwhile. Go to the GB. Owners site for comments from the many slaves to GB mistresses.
Good luck
Roger

Excellent points, Roger, and ones we will definitely keep in mind. Very helpful. Out of curiosity, why a "former owner?" Too much upkeep?

How does an anode in an aluminum tank prevent corrosion from chlorine? Very curious.

Hi,
I am a history major, but supposably the oxygen atoms in the chlorine react with the more active magnesium anode rather than the aluminum tank. Same reason there is an anode in your water heater.

We owned our GB36 for 13 years, and completed four trips up/down the ICW, a Great Loop transit, and extended cruises to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in Canada. Our big reason for selling was our trucker who moved the boat alongside our house for the winter finally said no more due to height of the boat and the low elevation of the utility lines in our neighborhood. Despite my best efforts, the boat was 16'1" above the ground when on the trailer. We purchased a Downeast boat finished by Steve Zimmerman- no bridge, aft covered cockpit and the ability to cruise at multiples of seven knots if you are willing to pay for the fuel. That, plus no outside varnish and fiberglas decks means my knee pads are no longer essential equipment. We loved the GB and will miss her, but life goes on.
Enjoy the search
Roger

Good info about the magnesium, I wonder if I can just drop one into the tank? I'm on it.

I really liked my GB 32, number 595. She was "perfect" when I sold her (had to move for work) but she was a real sweety. Get a good mattress for the v-berth, I had the best sleeps of my life in there!

Hi, chiming in a little late on this one....OP probably have bought their boat, but just want to tell the forum that I am the proud owner of GB32-95, built 1968, so a Woodie, and I absolutely love her! Yes, there is lots of work to do, but isn't that the hobby? Or rather our "fate" as caretakers of these lovely little ships? Hop you have lots of fun on whichever you chose to spend your time on. I think they are the best coastal trawlers ever built.

Attachments

• Summer 2016, Ballard Mill Marina.jpg
    Summer 2016, Ballard Mill Marina.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 76
There is a 32 woodie around here that is solid teak. Legend has it the GB ran out of mahogany but kept building. I always wondered what it would look like entirely varnished (although if it were mine I’d rapidly be committed to Bedlam). Nothing that a little sandpaper and a heat gun couldn’t accomplish!

32s are wet boats in a blow and because of their hard chine they have a “sporty” roll. The boat will take way worse weather than the owner can.

Get one with extensive records if it isn’t spotless.

Back
Top Bottom