This should forever put to rest the question of size required to cross oceans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubnuh

"Father's Day" - the smallest boat to cross the Atlantic Ocean / sailed by Hugo Vihlen from Newfoundland to England in 106 days.
qqCQPlZ.jpg

Florida registration. Prolly had to do that to avoid the Canadian bucket rule. No room. :)

I met him once. He lived next door to a friend of mine in Homestead Florida. He had the boat he first crossed the Atlantic in, in his back yard. It was a huge boat all of 5’11” long. It’s name was April Fool. I don’t think he had done his crossing in Fathers Day yet when I met him. Fathers Day was about six inches shorter than April Fool. At the time, he was trying to talk a museum into buying April Fool. Does anyone know what happened to it or Fathers Day? He made his living as an airline pilot.

Does anyone know what happened to it or Fathers Day?

For a while, April Fool was displayed in Treasure Village place on Islamorada, right where the giant lobster used to be before they converted that shopping place to a Montessori school. It was kind of a museum exhibit.

Attachments

• 6C4147A3-55D6-4904-BB7C-5B9510CA1453.jpg
    6C4147A3-55D6-4904-BB7C-5B9510CA1453.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 141
For a while, April Fool was displayed in Treasure Village place on Islamorada, right where the giant lobster used to be before they converted that shopping place to a Montessori school. It was kind of a museum exhibit.

I hope it didn’t end up the dump. I had suggested that he donate it to the Miami history museum, now called History Miami. They have a pretty good marine collection already. I’m hoping that someday they’ll open a marine history museum.

I hope it didn’t end up the dump. I had suggested that he donate it to the Miami history museum, now called History Miami. They have a pretty good marine collection already. I’m hoping that someday they’ll open a marine history museum.

Jeez, it would be a shame if that went to dump and not displayed somewhere.

To sail around the world you need a little bit bigger.
Evgeny circumnavigated in Said starting in 1999. The boat was 3.7m long because that was as big as could fit on the balcony of his apartment during the build.
The pic is of us towing Said into Gove in Northern Australia after we found him becalmed and low on fresh water. Incredible character. He was 60 something days out of Samoa when we towed him in.

A facebook link with more pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/Evgeny-Gvozdev-Russian-Sailor-749081685226369/

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 86
And folks think the must have a 45 ft er to run the calm waters of the loop, or the ICW!

And folks think the must have a 45 ft er to run the calm waters of the loop, or the ICW!
If I ever build my boat, I'll do the great loop in a 30-foot (hull length-36' overall) with 8'4" beam. However, I have seen some pretty nicely laid out 24 foot cabin boats that I would be comfortable in for long periods. I've always lived in mobile homes so I am used to confined living spaces. I never need the 1500+ square feet to live in. Sure the room is nice on a boat, but it's more that needs cleaning and up keep.

I couldn't see me sailing a coffin across the Atlantic though. I'd definately need a deep keel 45 foot sailing whale.

If I ever build my boat, I'll do the great loop in a 30-foot (hull length-36' overall) with 8'4" beam. However, I have seen some pretty nicely laid out 24 foot cabin boats that I would be comfortable in for long periods.

And a 23'er too Ben...

Dinette.jpg

GalleyCurtainsUnderway.jpg

UtilitarianQuilt.jpg

RaisingAnchor-Gulfport.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom