View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #23
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I will give credit to Globe impellers, I have been using 2 for 2 different pumps and neither has disintegrated yet, although they wear the edges down, which is to be expected.
Another good reason to change them out.
I bought this globe impeller in October 2013, so now is 2018, almost 5 years of use! I checked my email to find out the date. Of course not continuous usage of the gen. I do not keep a record of hours, but might average a couple hours per week for about 4 years.

I used my dremel to slice down a slot in the 316 SS pump shaft, and it went fast. Kept it cool by dipping in water. The wheel is too small to finish, so I used my handheld jigsaw blade to finish the slot. When the new impeller arrives, I will spread open the slot and fit it properly parallel to the bore of the impeller.

The whole thing seems very easy so far. It ought to actually be about a perfect fit when I am done.

Behind this is a ceramic seal disc and rubber washer. Since its diameter is much bigger than the drive shaft, it will fit fine over the expanded drive shaft. A C clip secures rubber disc and ceramic seal washer to the shaft, and it fits into the ring slot cut in the shaft.

My plan is to slam a piece of steel down the slot the width of the pin in the impeller, then bend the ears in parallel to fit the bore. Since I am going from 5/16 to 3/8, this ought to be just about perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
20180629_131123.jpg   20180629_132141.jpg  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote