Hit and run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a thought. If the guy came up to your boat and stole the kayak, would you call the sheriff?
Sure it was an accident but then he left with no intent to make good. Probably had a too much alcohol and wanted to avoid BUI. This puts him in criminal class.

Last edited:
Does this look like the vessel? The Documented Vessel Database is a good place to start for issues like this.

A private letter to the offender with the message that there will be offical follow up if he does not respond might be the best course.

Yes this is the guy.

Yes this is the guy.
He has a very common name:). Hope it`s genuine.
I was taught a claim for compensation accompanied by a statement that failure to pay would provoke prosecution was a no no, an improper threat.
I`d be reporting it. And making the demand. It`s like "failing to stop and render assistance" after a car accident. He needs a lesson and you need a new kayak. Good luck with it. And well done Roger Long for identifying him.

Get em Donna! :facepalm: :D

Don't be afraid to use the law to its fullest extent when a-holes do things like that.

And, unless you are dripping with spendable ca$h... I strongly recommend having their insurance co pay you for any damages incurred. It's only right they do so... that is if they are even insured. If not, then they need to pay you. Otherwise, sue them in small claims court. This would be a fun TV case for "Judge Judy" to officiate!

Matter o' fact - I believe you should have certified surveyor look at your big boat to make sure there was not any damage to it, above and beyond the kayak's damage, during the "hit and run" collision.

Best luck girl!!!

I was taught a claim for compensation accompanied by a statement that failure to pay would provoke prosecution was a no no, an improper threat.

When you put it that way...

But, I think there is a very fine line between that and saying, "Can't we resolve this between ourselves without involving insurance companies, law enforcement, etc?" I think offering that as a first stop is the civil thing to do. Of course, if the other boat owner felt that way, he would have stopped.

Interestingly the check came from their "risk management dept." It seems they calculate just how much they can get away with vs. the income from the cargo.

I would suspect that their insurance deductible is way higher than the damage incurred. My brother is a VP in Risk Management for a large corporation involved in high-risk activities. They cut checks for 10's of thousands of dollars without batting an eye. Only claims in the millions get submitted to the insurance company. He tells me that if the total claims for the year stay below a target number, they save on the next years premiums. In many cases cutting checks for tens of thousands out of pocket saves hundreds of thousands in insurance premiums.

His company pays out millions every year in claims and out of pocket combined. In your case, I suspect the cost of the dinghy was akin to 'petty cash' and probably didn't even require it to go through an internal approval process.

A criminal act was observed. To me, that's the key. This isn't just a civil matter.

If someone hits my car in a parking lot and notifies me, I'm appreciative. If they run, then I'm going to do everything possible to find video of who was parked there and take action.

What is to be gained by reporting the incident if the OP is not trying to recover the cost of the kayak ??

IMO, the value of the kayak becomes secondary to not letting the cretin get away with hit and run.

All of you are right. Honestly, I really didn’t know how to handle this. 750.00 in the grand scheme of things is not a lot of money. BUT for me it was the fact of the hit and run. Who does that? I certainly was in shock for a few days.

An update: The *#!*& was found docked a few piers away a couple days later. Let’s just say things are settled.

All of you are right. Honestly, I really didn’t know how to handle this. 750.00 in the grand scheme of things is not a lot of money. BUT for me it was the fact of the hit and run. Who does that? I certainly was in shock for a few days.

An update: The *#!*& was found docked a few piers away a couple days later. Let’s just say things are settled.

Sooooo - Cool!! I'm very happy for you!

Did you make sure that there were no witnesses and all cameras turned off, or just do concrete booties at night time?

Did you make sure that there were no witnesses and all cameras turned off, or just do concrete booties at night time?

Let’s just say it’s done! :hide:

It’s that southern charm that turns into bat **** crazy. Hey whatever works!

Back
Top Bottom