Transom Soot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glennwhiskey

Vessel Name
Miss Lee
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Is there a way to keep soot off the transom? If not, can anyone recommend cleaning product? Best regards, Glenn

Assuming he has a turbo...
wink.gif
...even with a new turbo you can get soot.

From my experience it's wax that the soot sticks to...around here many use a teflon polish rather than a wax so it doesn't build up as much and comes off easier with just a normal boat wash.

-- Edited by psneeld on Saturday 3rd of December 2011 06:44:02 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Saturday 3rd of December 2011 06:44:30 AM

Yes the soot sticks to the wax. A friend who was a boat detailer for years told me he never waxes the transom of a diesel for this reason.

Every diesel has some soot in the exhaust stream. Sometimes you can ake a simple exhaust extension out of a section of hose or PVC. Support it under the swim platform and that should carry the soot away from the boat.

Glenn

Excessive soot is*usually associated:
<ul>[*]Wrong props - too big preventing full rated RPM being achieved.[*]Bad air filters/lack of ER air supply[*]Engine(s) getting tired[*]Brand specific[/list]
What are your engine(s), vintage, hours and full RPM you can pull in neutral and under load? By all means (teflon is what I use) wax the transom, at least twice per year to help in cleaning salt, dirt and soot. Some of us are fortunate with*little if any*transom soot. I'd hold off on rebuilding the turbos as Blacksheep suggests, if you even*have them. There are lots of things to check before tearing the engine(s)*apart.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Saturday 3rd of December 2011 07:58:30 AM

As I understand it, too much exhaust back pressure can also contribute to soot. Basically, the more air through the engine, the better. This means large air filters with minimum restriction and minimum lift in the exhaust system. Also, try to get cool (denser) air to the air filter. Even a turbo in good shape will struggle if the installation isn't good.

Just my inexpert opinion backed up with little knowledge and less experience.

Thanks for everyone's input. The boat is new to us so we are learning its quirks. The boat is a Krogen 42 with a 135hp Lehman (no turbo). It has about 2600 hours. Max rpm 2550 under load. Never tried full throttle without load (afraid to try). Sat unused for about 6 years before our purchase. I have seen other Krogen's with the extension so it must be a common issue. That is probably what I will end up doing. Have been cleaning it off with WD40. Also will use teflon polish the next time.

jleonard wrote:
Every diesel has some soot in the exhaust stream.
*That is absolutely correct. A perfectly operating 135 hp Tier 2 diesel with a clear exhaust can discharge up to 1.5 pounds of particulates per day.

glennwhiskey wrote:
Is there a way to keep soot off the transom?
*Yes. I had quite a lot of transom soot on my twin Cummins 6BTA210s until a captain friend of mine turned me on to the Walker Engineering "Fuel Sep."

Although, quite skeptical at first, I went ahead and installed them and the soot was gone! Go to Walker Engineering - Home , put in FuelSep, engine make and model and click on submit.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 3rd of December 2011 10:05:38 AM

Attachments

• fuelsep.jpg
    fuelsep.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 177
Just posting to encourage you to get to the root of the problem. *We have two Lehman 135's with over 6000 hours on them and no soot. The exhaust is right under the swim platform. *It's not something your should have to live with.

cheers,

Penny Lane wrote:

Just posting to encourage you to get to the root of the problem. *We have two Lehman 135's with over 6000 hours on them and no soot. The exhaust is right under the swim platform. *It's not something your should have to live with.

cheers,

I agree. I would think removing and having the fuel injectors would be the place to start. Is the fuel fresh? I posted info a while back on adjusting the SP135 valves. I also had my injectors checked. If you want to set the valves and pull the injectors I can send you pictures of the process.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/t42402990/lehman-sp135-adjusting-engine-valves/

Sat unused for about 6 years before our purchase.

A can of Soltron in the fuel might be a help, or rebuilding the injectors , and if possible using a smaller tip or "economy setings " if that can be done.

ON DD injectors run from 40 -135 for the same engine to fine tune the power/economy , no idea on Tractor engines if this was an option.

The injector re-builder may have to send for parts in advance , so face to face before hand is advisable.

Before you tear into the engine,*insure all servicing issues by the book are performed. Run out the fuel and*again renew with fresh fuel filters.After sitting for 6 years the boat needs clean fuel. Questions:
  1. How dirty are your fuel filters?*
  2. Describe* your fuel filtering setup.
  3. Can you drain a quart or so of fuel from a tank bottom*and see if*loaded*with gunk and water.
  4. Does the engine miss or stumble at cruise RPM?
  5. Does the engine start with difficulty?
  6. Can you see a distinct color to the exhaust?
If 4, 5 and 6 are no, maybe you have no serious problem and*the extension as Jay describes takes care of the soot.

If you do injector work, first insure your fuel is clean - old water laden fuel can*damage injectors quickly.

Thanks again everyone. The engine runs great. We moved her 600 miles after purchase withou a hiccup. Starts immediatly. Burns 2.5 gals per hour @ 1800 rpm. No oil consumption. We had the tanks pumped and cleaned and fresh 700 gallons (ouch) of fuel. Treated fuel with a Valvetec fuel additive. Filtered through a 10 micron Racor, then 2 micron engine filter (both new). I looked at the Walker website and it sounds interesting ( but worry if it is snake oil). Anyone had experience? The injectors are certainly a possibility, but I would think they would show additional symptoms (hard starting, visible smoke) Enjoying the forum.

glennwhiskey wrote:
I looked at the Walker website and it sounds interesting ( but worry if it is snake oil). Anyone had experience?
*????????????????*** I have! Go back & read my post....it's not "snake oil."

Our boat came with a Walker. We have no transom soot. But then we have an aft starboard exhaust and no before and after comparison. Our last boat had twins with transom exhaust and lots of soot, but then those were 35-40 year old engines.

When we first got Pioneer transon sooting was a real problem, even though the engine had just been rebuilt.

I changed the air filter from the factory paper element panel style to a cylindrical K & N and took an inch out of the prop pitch. Perfectly clean ever since.

Just one of the many advantages of a black hull color!
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
biggrin.gif
But wouldn't your anal sphincter twitch automatically anyway to let you know that soot were there that needed cleaning? I'm positive Walt's would.
smile.gif
smile.gif
* Mine probably might.

dwhatty wrote:
But wouldn't your anal sphincter twitch automatically anyway to let you know that soot were there that needed cleaning? I'm positive Walt's would.
smile.gif
smile.gif

*Anal sphincter? Yeh...well..........I guess you're right! :nana::nana::nana:

dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
* Mine probably might.

*. *. *. *. *. *.and all this time I thought my helm chair had come in perforated leather. D__n!
no.gif

Here is a picture of it all "sooted" up. *Ugh! *Get me a rag!
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 4th of December 2011 07:20:44 PM

Attachments

• 100_0205.jpg
    100_0205.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 91
Dang Don,
That's so fine I would just show it off on the hard. Where's my shades!!

Moonstruck wrote:
biggrin.gif

That's really a great photo!

You had better pass on your advice to the crew of the Wahoo, at the Port Angeles, Wa Station.

I think they need it worse than Moonstruck.

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 4th of December 2011 10:45:40 PM

Attachments

• 87_osprey.jpg
    87_osprey.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 87
Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
* Mine probably might.

*. *. *. *. *. *.and all this time I thought my helm chair had come in perforated leather. D__n!
no.gif

biggrin.gif

*Hey! You have colostomy exhausts. No wonder no transom soot.

dwhatty wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

dwhatty wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

biggrin.gif

smile.gif
smile.gif
* Mine probably might.

no.gif

biggrin.gif

Hey! You have colostomy exhausts. No wonder no transom soot.
*I think you are correct.* The Cutter Wahoo probably has a clean transom as well.
biggrin.gif

JD wrote:
dwhatty wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

dwhatty wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

biggrin.gif

smile.gif
smile.gif
* Mine probably might.

no.gif

biggrin.gif

Hey! You have colostomy exhausts. No wonder no transom soot.
*I think you are correct.* The Cutter Wahoo probably has a clean transom as well.
biggrin.gif

*Well, ya really do hafta change out the bags now and then.

Did that ladder put a scratch on her?

SD

JD, as I recall, most Mainships have the exhaust out the side. *Is that correct?

Dude, just a little scratch on the stainess steel rub rail. *The boys buffed it right out. *They didn't even complain about it. *Those guys know how to put a whipping on a wax job. *They tell me that they really like working on this boat.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 5th of December 2011 06:20:44 PM

Moonstruck wrote:JD, as I recall, most Mainships have the exhaust out the side. *Is that correct?
The 34t's 2005-2009 have it out the back below the water line*and it has a 90**elbow pointing down.

The 390's have it out the back as well but they are susceptible to back wash*that floods the turbo and engine. It seems that the stock*elbow at the turbo isn't high enough.

Back
Top Bottom