Morehead City to Norfolk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We have the run north pretty much planned out - that is until we leave the anchorage around MM 90.

We are aiming for route 1. We would like to keep the daily runs to around 60 miles. There does not seem to be a decent anchorage or marina between MM 90 and Portsmouth/Norfolk.

Those that have run that part of the AICW, any thoughts?

Edenton, New Bern, and Oriental. I haven't run the ICW but I have been to marinas in those cities when I was looking at boats and they are nice and seem easy to get too with a lot of hole in the wall restaurants if that's your thing :thumb:

Camden bay at MM 61 is good. I anchored almost at the mouth of broad creek.
The Great Bridge free dock at MM 14 (across from Atlantic Yacht Basin) is good.
Pungo River anchorage at MM 127 is a great spot also.
If you need S wind protection Alligator River Cove MM 102 is very good.

There are several good fuel stops in the Norfolk area (generally cheapest on the East coast). Top Rack at MM 7 is my favorite and usually the cheapest. Check availability, if you buy fuel and spend $75 in their restaurant (very very very good!!), dockage including water and electric is free.

Ted

You can stop in Coinjock at mm 50. Nothing between there and Great bridge. Once you are at great bridge, norfolk/Portsmouth are only another 45 minutes or so.

Gord

Coinjock is a good stop, their prime rib is reknowned, some love it, some not as much, but we've found it to be very good with the exception of one years' stop. Call them a day or so ahead. The anchorage spots mentioned by others are good. AC has them all detailed. This time of year you'll have bugs, part of the experience. Cost of fuel at AYB vs. Top Rack was only a penny a gallon 2 weeks ago. If you've not stopped at Norfolk, it can be interesting. Waterside is not what it was, but there are a lot of interesting things to see there within walking distance that make it a stop worth considering. The Chrysler Museum is walking distance for the artsy crowd. Just traveling past all the Navy ships is an experience in itself.

Last edited:
Pay attention exiting the Alligator River into the Albemarle Sound. I went thru there last week and posted a Hazard warning on Active Captain. There is what appears to be an old marker pole near Green #3 at MM 80. It protruded just above the surface and would ruin your day. Can't help you with anchorages.
I agree with comments about the prime rib at Coinjock; it was excellent.
Also note that as you enter the waters around Norfolk, about at the junction of the Eastern and Southern branches of the Elizabeth River the speed limit is 6 kts and is (or was) patrolled by an officer on a jet ski.

Greetings,
Sorry can NOT agree on the Coinjock prime rib. Expensive and tough. Total of 5 servings (Admiral and I on 3 separate occasions). Marina and docks are good. Food store and mall within very short walk from AYB.

My guess is that the quality of the Prime rib at Coinjock varies quite a bit. Very disappointing when I went through 4 years ago. May be better now. Personally, I prefer the restaurants in Elizabeth city and the Dismal swamp canal.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. I agree with the restaurants in EC AND in Camden IF you stay at Lamb's Marina, about 5 miles up the dismal Swamp Canal from EC. Pretty good restaurant on site (Dockside) and Track One, a 30 sec walk just across the hwy, has better prime rib than Coinjock AND a lot cheaper. I think Thursday used to be prime rib night and Friday featured a flounder special (HIGHLY recommended).

Lambs: Neat, clean facility but no pump out AFAIK and they sell diesel and non leaded gas. Small grocery store on site. Loaner car (I think).

Pelican Marina, just east of EC on the north? shore of the sound is pretty well the only pump out around shy of Coinjock. Small chandlery and used to be restaurant next door. THAT restaurant has had numerous owners and food was hit and miss. ABC store 5 minute walk from Pelican.

EC restaurants: Food pretty darn good.

Cyprus Creek Grill: Eclectic menu, mid to upper $$, 30 sec from town dock.
Montero's: mid to upper $$. 7 min Cab ride.
Quality Seafood Market: GOOD and low $$. 10 minute walk from town dock. Take away meals. Limited eat in. Seafood counter.
C&H Oyster Bar: Only open in season. Fresh oysters. Good seafood. mid $$. 15 min cab from town dock.
Groupers: USED to be good. Gone downhill. We don't eat there anymore. 30 sec from town dock.

Re: Free town dock: Can get quite bumpy in an east wind.

Last edited:
Belhaven is great anchorage down by the old turning basin. Nice little dinghy dock. Nice little town.
We too used to anchor on North River off Broad Creek coming and going. Skip Coinjock. The free dock across from Atlantic Yacht basin is good and an easy walk into the village with a good supermarket.

I have stopped at Lamb's for fuel with my charter boat. Was in a rush, so didn't stop to eat.

Best free dock in Elizabeth city is the Jennette Brothers food service dock just North of the draw bridge on the west side of the river. The bridge and causeway block all the wave action coming up the river. 5 minute walk to the restaurants.

Ted

Pay attention exiting the Alligator River into the Albemarle Sound. I went thru there last week and posted a Hazard warning on Active Captain. There is what appears to be an old marker pole near Green #3 at MM 80. It protruded just above the surface and would ruin your day.

Actually, the entire way up the river, there are MANY old markers that were, for reasons I cannot fathom AT ALL, cut off at the waterline. We've gone thru there a bunch of times and see one about every trip. While it sounds, and is, pretty scary to think what would happen if you were to hit one, as long as you stay in the marked channel, you will be fine (of course). Additionally, we keep one eye on news from the waterways in NC, to date I do not recall ever hearing about anyone hitting one of them. Not that it hasn't happened, but we haven't heard of it.

Actually, the entire way up the river, there are MANY old markers that were, for reasons I cannot fathom AT ALL, cut off at the waterline. We've gone thru there a bunch of times and see one about every trip. While it sounds, and is, pretty scary to think what would happen if you were to hit one, as long as you stay in the marked channel, you will be fine (of course). Additionally, we keep one eye on news from the waterways in NC, to date I do not recall ever hearing about anyone hitting one of them. Not that it hasn't happened, but we haven't heard of it.

It did happen at least once. The boat was practically ripped in two, sank in seconds. The delivery crew managed to get off of the boat safely.

Chris

My guess is that the quality of the Prime rib at Coinjock varies quite a bit. Very disappointing when I went through 4 years ago. May be better now. Personally, I prefer the restaurants in Elizabeth city and the Dismal swamp canal.

Ted

I did not believe there was such a thing as bad Prime Rib. Coinjock made me see I was very wrong. A good stop but the Prime Rib there is disgusting, in my opinion, and Prime Rib is by far my favorite food.

Well, they got the prime rib right at least once. :)

Well, they got the prime rib right at least once. :)

Well, the one person I always heard promote it, goes for quantity over quality and he prefers hamburger to steak so I wasn't surprised when it wasn't as good as he claimed.

SONAS sighting yesterday, Sunday, July 1, on Newport River - ICW leaving Morehead City NC!! Sorry I didn't have a camera handy to get a shot of you!! How far did you go yesterday?

SONAS sighting yesterday, Sunday, July 1, on Newport River - ICW leaving Morehead City NC!! Sorry I didn't have a camera handy to get a shot of you!! How far did you go yesterday?

Was that where the three channels converge north of the city, because we got a bit turned around there in a couple of places?

We made it to the Neuse River and tucked ourselves into the south bank for a very nice overnight.

Right now crossing the Pamlico.

Were you on a boat or on the shore?

We passed you going south to Morehead City Yacht Basin! Right around marker 34. That intersection of the ICW and Gallants Channel can be confusing.

South River is a great anchorage! And you have PERFECT weather for a Pamlico Sound crossing! Enjoy! If you're thinking of stopping in Manteo, the channel going in there is about 5 feet....super skinny, I want to say at marker 5 but I could be wrong. Nice stop, but scary getting in. Can't go wrong with an Ocracoke stop either....but you're probably already passed there.

Happy Cruising!

I'd say it's perfect!

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_101101878_HDR-1008x756a.jpg
    IMG_20180702_101101878_HDR-1008x756a.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 35
If you're thinking of stopping in Manteo, the channel going in there is about 5 feet....super skinny, I want to say at marker 5 but I could be wrong. Nice stop, but scary getting in. Can't go wrong with an Ocracoke stop either....but you're probably already passed there.

Happy Cruising!

There are a couple of spots just the other side of the Pungo River just off the ICW around MM 104 and 100. We are just going to pull off at one of those.

Yes! Those are nice spots as well! If you decide you want a pool day, Dowry Creek Marina on this side of Alligator/Pungo Canal.

Have a great trip!!

I think the map has pretty well been covered for the route. I'm not a big fan of Waterside in Norfolk. I much prefer the extra little bit to Hampton Public Piers and the short walk to a plethora of restaurants on their little strip. Much more pleasant for us than Norfolk.

Without piling on we also think that the Coinjock Marina Restaurant is overrated, at least for prime rib. As noted above quantity over quality. Odd since their ribeye steak (same cut of cow) has been consistently good, they make good chicken breasts although like their prime rib the servings are too big. The stuffed mushrooms have been quite good.

In our opinion Coinjock prime rib is a spectator sport - more fun to watch than to eat.

Still a great stop - good docks, decent fuel prices. Gotta love a town that has two restaurants, a post office, and nothing else. *grin*

We made good time so went on and a little before 4 we pulled to the east side of the alligator River inside MM90. So now we only have 40 miles to Coinjock tomorrow then 50 the next day. so easy runs.

AND I am going to start another thread concerning the A&P Canal! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom