Can we come up with a more original excuse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still sail, but am down to a trailer boat for various reasons*, and both age and health are the main reasons I'm in the market for a trawler now. Plus, the admiral hates the 'down in a hole' feel of a sailboat saloon, while I rather like it. But that's another issue.

A few years ago I had a free weekend and was going to take the sailboat out. My wife was tied up with something so I asked my Mom to go with me. She is a better sailor than I ever was. We were anchored in a nice quiet bay in the evening and we were standing in the saloon doing dishes or something. I glanced out the side portlight and spotted an eagle and mentioned it to my Mom. She wasn’t tall enough to see out.

That is when the idea of being down in a hole really struck me. My wife is tall and could see out those windows just fine when standing. However, neither of us can when seated. I do love being able to sit now in the saloon and have the great view around me from our trawler.

Remember this conversation?

Here's another example.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/d/chris-craft-commander/6675219627.html

I have a 42' Chris Craft that I am looking to trade or sell. This must be sold ASAP. I started restoring it but due to a family emergency, it's not going to be an option. I have over $15,000 invested in it all ready. One engine has been rebuilt and one has not. I have LOTS of extra parts including 2 paragon transmissions. Every thing on the boat is original, all the way to the a/c which works great. It has a 7.5 Kohler generator. This needs magneto. Clear title in hand. I would like to trade for a classic car or rat rod. However am open to all trades. Trade value is of course higher than cash. Willing to sell $4,000 obo.

Must not be THAT bad of a family emergency.

Funny today I went over a Hatteras, for sale for something around 450K and it was mentioned that the owner started a total refit but now want to sell so the deal was buy the boat, buy what is missing and the owner will finish the refit free for you. This is what I call a xmas gift!

L

We sold Ebbtide because we moved to Cuba. If we hadn’t moved I would have never sold her. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!

We sold Ebbtide because we moved to Cuba. If we hadn’t moved I would have never sold her. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!
Why did not you moved there with her? Excuse the question if this is too personal, not my intend to be an inquisitor.

L

A couple of reasons actually:

1. It would have taken us a very long time to sail her down here.
2. Toredo (?) worms.
3. She was not set up for cruising in this part of the world.
4. Moorage on a military installation is tricky.

When we finish up our projects here we will get a boat more suited for this area. Planning on a couple of years of cruising then who knows.

Right now, the only thing I can picture causing us to sell our boat down the road, would be health issues. That and none of the kids wanting it.

More depressing are the ads that state the boat is completely outfitted for a world cruise but the owner died and the owner's wife is selling.

Just go. Now.

More depressing are the ads that state the boat is completely outfitted for a world cruise but the owner died and the owner's wife is selling.

Mine was ready for a circumnavigation and had made a false start several months before when the wife got sick. She is no longer able to do foredeck duties. I gave it away. She suggested I go solo but after 60 years of marriage I was not going to go solo. So I bought my 1978 MS-34 trawler so she can sit in the salon and knit while I play Captain. Its sad to see it sitting in the slip deteriorating because the current owner apparently doesnt care.

There are only going to be three reasons why I sell my current boat.

1. We are actively looking to buy house in the Bahamas. If this takes place that I have no choice but to sell the boat.

2. We find a larger boat that has a walk in engine room and we decide not to buy the house in the Bahamas.

3. I get sick or injured and I’m no longer capable of using the boat.

"Health issues" was the reason I was given. I think that was partly true, as the owner was in his seventies. He didn't want to say "because it has a 30 year old raw water cooled Volvo". Whatever. You just take in what you see and what you hear and make up your own mind.

Bingo!
The PO of my boat said he lost his first mate (She had died) and was going back to a sail boat. I listened. I looked. The boat was in good shape and unmolested. It was the make and model I wanted. I made up my mind and it's in my slip.

I’d like to know about your experience living in Cuba. How did you manage that visa-wise? Maybe you could start a new thread.

We are contracted at Guantanamo Bay. No visa required.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom