Suggestions Auto Pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Savalla

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
MMC
Hi, need a new autopilot for a 42' 16 ton, MMC (Defeever knock off),, Would like suggestions for the most simple, practical autopilot that will handle this boat. Presently has Cetek system which is not functional. They are out of business. Thanks.

Check out Comnav. I've been very happy with mine. Used extensively by commercial and fish boats in the PNW and Alaska.

I just had my AP upgraded to the Simrad AP48. Used it for the first time yesterday and quite pleased. There are some things I need to tweak and get used to as there are many more variables available to the user than my AP22.

Does your vessel use cables or hyd to steer from the installed helm?

If your drive is still in good condition, that'll save you a ton of money not having to replace it so whichever pilot you go with, make sure it's not propitiatory. Garmin is the only one I can think of off hand that wouldn't readily accept a different drive.
Also, whichever system you decide to go with, seriously consider that it uses a rate compass. They really help with the steering on a slower moving boat. Comnav still uses a regular fluxgate compass as standard equipment in some of their pilot models.

If your drive is still in good condition, that'll save you a ton of money not having to replace it so whichever pilot you go with, make sure it's not propitiatory. Garmin is the only one I can think of off hand that wouldn't readily accept a different drive.
Also, whichever system you decide to go with, seriously consider that it uses a rate compass. They really help with the steering on a slower moving boat. Comnav still uses a regular fluxgate compass as standard equipment in some of their pilot models.

Comnav offers the option of a rate compass on all their units. It's a very modular "system".

I installed a Raymarine EV-200 about 2 years ago. Love it! I was content to just point to the bearing I wanted and let "Capt. Ray" drive. But I finally interfaced it to my Lowrance MFD. Now it can troll zig-zag and other patterns. The REAL cool feature is it can follow a set track. So I pick my point and tell it to follow the track. Then it adjusts to wave, current, wind, etc.

My point being, make sure you can interface to your GPS and that your AP has the follow track (or go to point) feature.

as hjorgan points out; common interface can be an important feature. for example our GPSs, AP, and chart plotters are all Garmin and we too have all the features of following tracks, zig zag etc., we love it.
The other thing if you have common equipment (at least in our case) is that when you do a software update; all the systems on the net can be updated at the same time.

Good point.

If your electronics are NMEA 183 you are going to need a converter and cables since any new AP will be 2000.

This will include your two navigators and AIS which you will want on your 2000 backbone.

Comnav offers the option of a rate compass on all their units. It's a very modular "system".

I wanted the op to be aware that a rate compass would more than likely help the pilot to steer his particular boat and that rate compasses come standard with a lot of pilots designed for his size boat.
The brand makes no difference to me if it keeps the bow pointed where it need to go!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom