Window Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctjstr

Vessel Name
"Convergence"
Vessel Make
Camano Troll
Anyone happen to know the brand or part number used for the black paint on the window frames. I don't THINK its powder coating. I'll need to re do most of a lot of them when the weather warms. Since there are zero leaks so far, I'm not planning on pulling the windows; just mask, sand clean and shoot. I have the right primer, and can probably get close on the paint, but it would be nice if someone already did the research.

thanks in advance.

In the meantime...its pretty frustrating. I previously mentioned that I tore a bicep tendon on Christmas day. had the fixit surgery a couple days ago. Get this...I'm not supposed to lift anything more than a coffee mug for 3 months or ten pounds for 6. I'll have to ask her again about that. Hopefully the drugs made me hear it wrong. that just can't be right. To top it off, I ended up having a gout attack in my wrist...same arm. who the hell gets gout in the wrist? Been a pretty crappy couple days.

thanks
toni

toni

I suspect that your medical directions are correct. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries. I had gout in my wrist last week so it does happen. Good luck with your recovery.

Windows

If no leaks what is driving you to pull the windows? What year is your boat? We had corrosion on one of our N40's powder coated windows which the factory sent a crew to sand and spray without removing. Thanks

John

If no leaks what is driving you to pull the windows? What year is your boat? We had corrosion on one of our N40's powder coated windows which the factory sent a crew to sand and spray without removing. Thanks

John

check first post. Im NOT pulling the windows. as you said..if it aint broke....\

Depending on the condition of the existing paint you are trying to match, the original factory paint may be much more glossy. Black tends to flatten over time in the sun, so you may have to do a bit of trial and error to get a good match.

I thought they were powder coated but you probably can still paint over it if prepped properly.

I have painted over powder coat with ordinary white enamel and it has bonded well. Normal prep is all that is required.

perfect. thanks all for the suggestions. i'll get some photos of it currently. no question i need to so something.

Hers'a shot that shows the problem. You can see the light area next to the windows where the paint is faded almost completely.

toni

AF1QipO5k_qHqmm6aVVG0hESTa1wWEqxQq6yC7E5DAmE

Last edited:
My bulkhead door trim needs some paint (badly)! I'm gonna try and tackle that this month. The temps are finally getting warmer in my neck of the woods!

I have had good luck using barrier coating as a primer on aluminum and rust o leum paint. Did a friends outdrive five years ago like that and it still looks as good as the day it was painted. I used a hardener with the black rust o leum paint.

If the are aluminum and have oxidation on them I would use a self etching primer and then a spray like Krylon over that

Are they anodized and oxidized?

no, they are just faded quite badly. In that sense I'm lucky. I dealt with heavily corroded ones on my last boat and it took a bit to get the fix right.

Finally got around to tackling the paint issue on the windows. It involved all windows on both sides. Fronts and rear were fine.
Masked them all. Did a very light sanding with 220. Wiped the surfaces with acetone.
I debated and decided not to prime. As I stated earlier, the paint was really just faded more than anything. I was able to hit them with a quick tack coat and then two full coats. I think one would have been enough, but went with two.

I used Rustoleum satin. It was as close to what was on the others as I could find. Easy stuff to work with. The areas of very slight overspray easily cleaned up with a bit of acetone on a clean rag.

Time will tell how it holds up. Not a professional job by any means, but tons better than what I had and not all that much work. Afternoon job with two of us taping.

toni

Nice job Captain. I did my exterior windows last August. What an inexpensive aesthetic improvement!

Back
Top Bottom