Wakemakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stopped slowing down for the pass. If you slow down, it's like giving them a green light. Then they try to pass as quickly as possible to not inconvenience you. Feeling bad that you slowed down to accomodate them.

It's your choice. You don't slow down, you force them to pass you faster. That means more wake.

Faster passes done correctly may cause a tiny bit more wake but they can be done and should only take 30 seconds or so.

Its when the passer doesnt adjust to boats who dont slow to less than say 4 knots that things get squirrely.

These 5 minute passes that still wind up waking you and causing handwringing from channel narrowing, depth changes, traffic, unexpected pot floats, et.etc... are really bad in my experience....

Not all combinations of boats and speeds are possible.... but the vast majority I have run can do it.

Last edited:
Clicked on this link thinking it was about water makers. Oh, misread on my part, wakes again. Got hit with a bunch of them this weekend. No hard feelings, middle fingers, or calling the authorities. Just glad to be on the water, breathing clean air, and enjoying the day...part of boating.

It's your choice. You don't slow down, you force them to pass you faster. That means more wake.

But the “passer” is a) responsible for the safe pass, b) can view the name on the stern of the vessel he is passing. It is the “passer’s” responsibility to initiate communication for a safe pass, not the other way around.

Jim

It seems everyone wants to peacefully share the water but only if it's by their rules and their likes and dislikes.

And therein lies the problem. Instead of taking care of their own helms, they're too worried about telling people how to operate someone elses boat.

Mind your own helms, prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and know that of the 4 billion stars revolving around one spot in the universe, that spot is NOT you.

Quit trying to eradicate inconsiderate boaters by being inconsiderate, and instead pull into the next dock and try human communication and education.

But the “passer” is a) responsible for the safe pass, b) can view the name on the stern of the vessel he is passing. It is the “passer’s” responsibility to initiate communication for a safe pass, not the other way around.

Jim

I said nothing about making a dangerous pass. However, when passer establishes communication and passee says "do what you want but I'm not doing anything" then that means most likely a faster pass and a little more wake. You can initiate communication all you want but if you get ignored or refused, then you take the next best option. Typical is boat going 10 knots. Suggest if he'd slow and give you room to his port you could pass him at 10 knots with no wake. Either he refuses or you can't get a response. So, you pass a little tighter than you would have had to and at 13-15 knots. He gets about a 1' wake when it could have been without wake.

Fortunately, most situations are easy and most people respond and are very happy to be contacted.

Fortunately, most situations are easy and most people respond and are very happy to be contacted.

...and I too would be happy to be contacted to arrange a safe pass.

Good post by BandB.

- Knowing the effect of your wake at different speeds is the responsibility of a boat owner. My no-wake speed is 4.5 knots or less. At 5 knots I put out a very small wake that some might consider inappropriate in a no-wake zone. At my 7 knot cruise I put out a wake that is a complete non-event for any boat around me. If I push up to 8+ knots then I start to put out a wake that needs to be considered. Maybe that is why I seem to be more sensitive to the wakes of others, because I don’t generate much myself?

- I do have issues with the folks that say “You are on a boat, you need to deal with wakes.” While that is true, most of us try to avoid going out in conditions similar to some of the wakes that I’ve been hit with. I don’t boat in small channels so distance can dissipate a wake tremendously. However, I shouldn’t have to alter course 45 degrees and try to put enough distance between me and the wake from the passing boat to get a manageable wake.

- I think BandB’s approach is good. Do what you can to mitigate conflict where possible. As a slow boat, I have a responsibility to be aware and boat courteously and not unreasonably inconvenience the go fast folks. This is the same as a sailboater while under sail making the decision to tack or jibe early or late to not inconvenience a powered vessel who would be the give way vessel. Something I would do frequently and usually so far away from the powered vessel that they had no idea I altered my plans to avoid inconveniencing them.

- I would like some tips however on good ways to initiate contact with a boat when I can’t see their name and there is no easy way to identify them.

- I would like some tips however on good ways to initiate contact with a boat when I can’t see their name and there is no easy way to identify them.

Appearance, distinguishing features, location, relationship to where you are, activity.

I pull up along side of them and hold the microphone.... :)

I pull up along side of them and hold the microphone.... :)

Loved doing that when passing as reasonably slowly as possible after vainly trying to reach them on the VHF. Hold up the mic with a big smile and point to it in response to the scowl.

I remember an infuriating instance when some sailor decided he was going demonstrate his prowess by sailing along the channel across the “Comox Bar” in almost calm conditions. We were all doing about a knot. And yes, he had a motor.

What may seem like a big wake to some, would be nothing to others.
I secure my cabin before getting under way, because a smooth passage is never guaranteed.

The poor families with kids having to listen to your cursing is the disturbing part of the story.
Consider yourself lucky that authorities did not stop you for a long chat.
Swearing on the radio is illegal.
Want to see the problem, go look in a mirror!

Yes CanadianBoater, I lost my cool and swore on the radio. I’m lucky to have escaped serious jail time. [emoji849]

Otherwise I don’t see how I was the problem. Motoring alone at 7 knots, tried to let someone pass, got waked anyway.

Next time I can assure you I will hog the channel until the boat wanting to pass me makes radio contact and we arrange how it will be done and I get their boat name. Not trying to be a jerk, but it gets old.

When we enjoyed our old 30’ Hunter sailboat, I always believed if we were out of a harbor where speed is limited, being “waked” was just a normal part of enjoying our boat. Of course, there were times when an idiot would come too close with huge wake but on the norm, those occurrences were rare.

Earlier in this string it was mentioned that if a fast boat would time coming off the throttle the back push would shove the fast boat right past the slow boat with no appreciable loss in speed and almost no wake. Then upon passing hit the throttle again, be right back up on a plane. I have seen this work.

Trouble is, that would require the fast boater to actually operat his boat for a few moments, off autopilot. I know that is crazy talk, what with that inconvience and and all.

Went through a long no wake zone after Stuart before Pecks Lake. Directly beside me was a large Sea Ray (naturally). I never changed my speed, 6 Knots, beforeafter or during. As it turns out we were both going to Pecks. Soon as we cleared the NWZ he hammered it though there was only about a mile to go. I was about knocked out of my chair, things were rearranged on the bridge. Had he just increased his speed a bit then hammered it, no problem, but no. His wife saw what happened, and apparently gave him what for.

It was observed there was little scope on his chain during the day. One in our party on another boat at before daylight saw the Sea Ray had, and was dragging anchor about to slam into us. He saved the day by dingying over and woke up the fool for corrective action. Later in the day I ask SeaRay fool if he was leaving today. He said yes, I ask what time. Said around noon, why? I answered that I would graciously give him a good head start.

Last edited:
Yes CanadianBoater, I lost my cool and swore on the radio. I’m lucky to have escaped serious jail time. [emoji849]

Otherwise I don’t see how I was the problem. Motoring alone at 7 knots, tried to let someone pass, got waked anyway.

Next time I can assure you I will hog the channel until the boat wanting to pass me makes radio contact and we arrange how it will be done and I get their boat name. Not trying to be a jerk, but it gets old.

Until very recently buying my own water front home, my boats for many years were moored in an extremely busy and tight harbor.
A few years ago some guy went into a cursing fit on the radio because he didn't like how close a boat came to him. The harbor master came on and asked for his name. He was not tied up back at the dock for more than 10 minutes when officers arrived to talk to him. Then Industry Canada the regulatory authority for radios in Canada also got involved. He was fined, lost his radio license, and had his radio removed from his boat. If you don't think it is taken serious, just keep up the cursing till the authorities come deal with you to. In the mean time, think about others, and those of us who don't want to hear it, and especially do jot want children hearing it.
A mouth like that is going to anger the wrong guy some day. Blame yourself and no one else when you do anger that person.
An anger management course is also a good idea.

A mouth like that is going to anger the wrong guy some day. Blame yourself and no one else when you do anger that person.
An anger management course is also a good idea.

Hm... while I agree with your opinion on the use of profane language, nothing in Cardude's posts warranted your response above.

I too have great difficulty blaming Cardude for getting upset at the misconduct identified. CanadianBoater, I think you are blaming the victim, who from my much longer experience is normally a reasonable and sensible thinker,much provoked on this occasion.

Sadly docking is sometimes taught to new boaters , but how to pass is not.

With proper techniques there is NO need for a boat to slow down to be passed ,

if the passer is has practiced his passing technique .

Many folks will turn off their radios after all day of hearing nonsense about slowing down.

Sadly docking is sometimes taught to new boaters , but how to pass is not.

With proper techniques there is NO need for a boat to slow down to be passed ,

if the passer is has practiced his passing technique .

Many folks will turn off their radios after all day of hearing nonsense about slowing down.

I’ve never been taught this and would be very interested in hearing how it is done.

1. keep speed till nearly abeam the passed vessel.
2. chop throttles till rpm about what you need to be a couple knots faster than passed vessel.
3. let momentum carry you ahead of the vessel.
4. hopefully the passed vessel sees his move to cut in behind you over a not so large wake, you help by moving into his old path...
5. once in, passing vehicle can resume speed.

Your bow wake, which is your primary wake, will overtake them if you do that. Remember you are going faster than they are by definition.

well, nearly is the operative word where different boats and speed combos do require a little experience to guess the right spot and how fast to close the throttle.

having done it thousands of times and watched other pro captains and a few rec captains do it plenty...done right it works and is way more pleasant for all than a bad slow pass.

plus it is a close aboard manuever where a bow wave, if big, is on their quarter. While maybe noticeable, not uncomfortable.

Last edited:
U Then Industry Canada the regulatory authority for radios in Canada also got involved. He was fined, lost his radio license, and had his radio removed from his boat. If you don't think it is taken serious, just keep up the cursing till the authorities come deal with you to. .

Maybe in CANADA, but not in the USA. So your position on "authorities will come deal with me" is irrelevant.

I agree with others CB you are blaming the wrong party.

2. chop throttles till rpm about what you need to be a couple knots faster than passed vessel.
4. hopefully the passed vessel sees his move to cut in behind you over a not so large wake, you help by moving into his old path...

About the only time we overtake other boats, they are anchored. :blush:

Thanks.

Of course, I'm with Mark. I am very rarely the one to pass someone else. Interesting to know about the technique though.

Back
Top Bottom