Fuel burn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Breeze
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
A quick question for you GB 36 owners out there: we've seen a few discrepancies for gph on the 36 equipped with twin 120 hp Lehman's. What is a true fuel burn range?

0 to 6 gph for a 120 Lehman. ;)

Ted

So that's quite a bit of difference. Normal cruising (6-8 kts), straightforward conditions, are we closer to 1 gph or the 6 gph? Broker (who previously owned the boat and seems to be a straight shooter) said less than 3; others I've seen say 5+. I know there are a lot of variables, but just trying to gather as much info as possible.

Huge difference between 6 and 8 knots.
Single or twin? Most are twins so 3 to 5gph.
That’s my guess.

Thanks -- posted that it was the twin Lehmans. Appreciate some real world anecdotal evidence.

0 to 6 gph for a 120 Lehman. ;)

Ted

So that's quite a bit of difference. Normal cruising (6-8 kts), straightforward conditions, are we closer to 1 gph or the 6 gph? Broker (who previously owned the boat and seems to be a straight shooter) said less than 3; others I've seen say 5+. I know there are a lot of variables, but just trying to gather as much info as possible.

That was supposed to be my attempt at humor. Roughly every 20 horsepower requires 1 gallon. So, a 120 HP engine should burn 6 GPH at full power and nothing when it's off.

Ted

Ted...I must be really tired today. Accept my belated laughter! :eek:

A knot below hull speed could reduce fuel consumption rate by at least half.

I'd figure a GB36 with twin 120's would burn 3-4gph total at 7kts.

Fuel burn is totally dependent on how fast you go. For my boat a 5 knot cruise speed will burn 0.2 gph, 6 knots is about 0.4, 7 knots 0.75, 8.5 knots 1.8 gph and 9.2 knots (wide open throttle) 2.3 gph. So pick your speed to get the fuel burn you want. My boat is 32'8" with a 32' LWL and a 9,500 lb displacement. LWL, displacement, hull form and speed determine your fuel burn.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom