View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
saltyatsixty

City: Destin Florida and Gautier MS
Vessel Name: Pelican
Vessel Model: Litton Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
If you're buying a boat as in investment, I suppose you would want an exit strategy. I'm going to have to assume that most people look at a boat as a luxury and therefore not really to concerned with the marketability of it in the future.
I was at a marina today & saw a beautiful Hatteras 46 convertible I'd never seen before. It was a late 70's -early 80's vintage but still in immaculate condition. The marina owner told me the new owner just bought it for 25k! I'm willing to bet the previous owner was just glad that it was sold & to be out of the slip rent ,insurance, maintenance etc. Was it a good purchase as an investment? Heck no, but I'm sure the previous owner enjoyed the time spent on it and that they didn't buy it worrying about the price it would bring when it was time to sell it.

I agree. We have a 1978 42 Litton (Universal) trawler we have owned for 15 years. We have enjoyed many hours of cruising the north gulf coast and are now living aboard for a while. I would not expect to be able to sell this girl for a third of what we paid for her but she’s given us a iifetime of enjoyment! Just do it!!
saltyatsixty is offline   Reply With Quote