Can we come up with a more original excuse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we sold our last boat it was because "Owner moving up in size, owns two boats". When we sell the current boat it will be "owner moving up in size". The next boat might be "Moving up" OR "dowsizing". I can assure you the last boat will be "owner too old" OR "Widow moving back to land".

We will own boats until we cannot safely handle them, or mobility becomes an issue. I seriously doubt we'll spend the last years tied to the dock.

9 out of 10 was perhaps a slight exaggeration, but I guess its just one of those pet peeves of mine. I can't stand it when brokers/sellers use "health issues" as a guilt-sell technique.

Health issues....
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/38-pearson-sportfish-1962/6618452768.html

Health issues...
1973 Gulfstar 36 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Health issues...
1979 Marine Trader Double Cabin 40 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

9 out of 10 was a gross exaggeration. Furthermore "health issues" isn't a guilt sale technique, it's a legitimate answer to why are the owners selling which is a question I would always want answered.

Reasons are
-Health
-Finances
-Trade up
-Wrong boat
and
-This boat is a real dog.

Real dog isn't going to be disclosed.

We've also discussed this previously on TF and the overwhelming reason most TF'ers will get out of boating at some time is health.

A friend on the Bayliner Forum listed his 1996 one owner since new 4788 in February due to health issues.
He passed a few days ago.
Let's not get too crazy about these issues, sometimes they are painfully real.

I don't get why anyone would mention why they are selling or why anyone would ask.

As if people don't lie or as if it matters to begin with.

I sold my skiff a few weeks ago .every one asked why are you selling .and I answered honestly . we don't use it .its 6 years old with 100 hours on it.

A friend on the Bayliner Forum listed his 1996 one owner since new 4788 in February due to health issues.
He passed a few days ago.
Let's not get too crazy about these issues, sometimes they are painfully real.

While I’m sorry he passed, there’s nothing I could have done about it, nor did I know him. Death is inevitable, and I’ll be there one day too. But what bearing does that have on the sale of his boat? If anything it’s kinda creepy especially if he died ON the boat. The broker stating “owner passed away” isn’t going to make me want to buy a Bayliner any more than if he didn’t state it.

Maybe I’m just insensitive to the matter because of my profession. I deal with death and tragedy 40 hours a week.

"Health issues" was the reason I was given. I think that was partly true, as the owner was in his seventies. He didn't want to say "because it has a 30 year old raw water cooled Volvo". Whatever. You just take in what you see and what you hear and make up your own mind.

Perhaps they mean the owner is a serious seller and wants it gone. Make an offer. Sometimes people like to waste your time. The older you get, the less you want to waste time.

Im selling because ive boated for over 45+ years and lived aboard in the keys for 6 years and am done with crusing. Want to do the R V thing while I can before I have to SELL FOR HEALTH REASONS .... Live for today and turn the page for tomorrow..

My 2 cents...

I have an acquaintance that sold his old boat to a well known member of this forum. His reasoning was in fact due to health issues. He didn't want to leave his wife with a boat to sell if he didn't make it through the medical issue.

He has since been cleared and recently bought a new boat.

I personally just sold a boat using the "I never use it" line. I in fact, last used the 23' boat that I sold in September of 2017. I priced it right and sold it 3 days after I listed it. The buyer saw that I wasn't trying to BS him and that I truly wanted to pass the boat along to somebody who would use it.

The health issues excuse, well yeah, I’m sorta working up to that eventuality as well. Even my TF profile says “bad case of weaping butt furunkles”. I figured that when I posted the ad claiming health issues, the majority here would just assume that the weaping butt furunkles finally got the best of me.:blush:

The health issues excuse, well yeah, I’m sorta working up to that eventuality as well. Even my TF profile says “bad case of weaping butt furunkles”. I figured that when I posted the ad claiming health issues, the majority here would just assume that the weaping butt furunkles finally got the best of me.:blush:

Thats straight up funny Larry!

I'm selling because I'm moving and my lil bassey will not do to well in the open ocean. Even tho at times up here it can seem to be like the ocean....

I'm selling because I'm moving and my lil bassey will not do to well in the open ocean. Even tho at times up here it can seem to be like the ocean....

Wifey B: Well, if instead of naming it "Bassey" you'd named it "Ocean Explorer" perhaps it would have been more confident. :rofl:

We sold our lake boat when we moved to the coast as well. It didn't have a cutesy name though. I'm sure the buyer was told our reason.

When I sold my old wooden GB-42 after 29 years, I made no reference to why I was selling, and it sold in two weeks. I don't remember being asked way. But the reasons were age (mine), laziness (that'd be me again), and lack of desire to cruise long range anymore. Now I run the local waters with my hair on fire! Yahooo. :)

I don't get why anyone would mention why they are selling or why anyone would ask.

As if people don't lie or as if it matters to begin with.
People are all all different. Some may want to know why, some may not; some may want to disclose, some may not; some may be offended by the question, some may not; some may lie, some may not. There doesn't seem much point in worrying about it.

I, for one, sold my last boat for health reasons and they were real. I honestly don't remember if I volunteered it or was asked or if it was discussed at all.

But you do have to understand why a dealer would put it in the listing: a certain percentage of people are going to ask. So those who want to know are mollified, those who don't care can ignore it. Very few will be turned away from an ad just because it cites health reasons for selling and those few probably wouldn't have bought it, anyway.

I would think that the majority of those who are selling trawlers are at or near their last boat due to age.

So yes, I can see health issues being one of the most common reasons when shopping trawlers.

If it is health issues, and probably will be when I sell mine....unless it is because I am going to Mars and cant take it with me......I see no reason why I am selling it should be anyones business but mine??? Surely you are not buying it based on the reason for selling. You need a surveyor.

So I will just say, "Because I want to, do you want it or not???":banghead:

Health issues are a solid reason to sell anything that is taxing your energy or time. I sold my last boat for health issues. It was a commercial fishing vessel and I was getting too old to still do the job without major pain. I then bought a 38' pleasure boat.

I have bought and sold a number of boats. I always ask the reason for the sale. I know I often got BS answers but often the truth which may or may not be significant information. I also ask if the individual was keeping the boat what improvements would they make in the vessel over the next five years. Every seller said that is an interesting question they had never been asked before. Always interesting answers. One can often tell whether the individual is candid or not from their answers.

I think that ALL the former sailors on this site, when asked why they were selling their sail boats to buy trawlers were forthcoming with their respective reasons. I'm sure a percentage moved to power for health reasons.
I still sail, but am down to a trailer boat for various reasons*, and both age and health are the main reasons I'm in the market for a trawler now. Plus, the admiral hates the 'down in a hole' feel of a sailboat saloon, while I rather like it. But that's another issue.

*Mostly so I can noodle in the inaccessible Finger Lakes and difficult to access with a keel boat and giant mast Erie Canal, plus some Canadian lakes like Simcoe that are too far and/or difficult to get to in a timely fashion any other way, especially since we both still work.

Last edited:
I still sail, but am down to a trailer boat for various reasons*, and both age and health are the main reasons I'm in the market for a trawler now. Plus, the admiral hates the 'down in a hole' feel of a sailboat saloon, while I rather like it. But that's another issue.

*Mostly so I can noodle in the inaccessible Finger Lakes and difficult to access with a keel boat and giant mast Erie Canal, plus some Canadian lakes like Simco that are too far and/or difficult to get to in a timely fashion any other way, especially since we both still work.

40 years sailing and three months ago bought a trawler..."For Health Reasons" At 82 my wife is no longer able to man the foredeck.

A lot of sellers lie, doesn't matter what they are selling.
Like the car only driven to the store, bingo, and church, by the sweet little old lady, and oil changed every 3 months. In reality that means, minimal service was done, and it was driven so hard that mere words cannot explain.

I am probably too honest, but would rather sell things truthfully. Sold a boat 2 months ago, when asked why, 'Its too small and lacks the amenities I want in a boat going ahead'. That was the absolute truth, and I bought a larger boat days later, with a full galley, head, bigger bed, etc.

I dont think a lot of sellers lie. But I do think a lot of sellers dont tell everything unless asked. I bought a 2004 Lexus LS430 with just 51,000 miles on it last year. It was driven by a little old lady to and from the hospital less then 5,000 miles a year on a 23 mile freeway trip each way. Got lots of 60mph miles and was cared for meticulously by the dealer.

It wasnt a lie and didnt mean "minimal service was done, and it was driven so hard that mere words cannot explain".

I know it was true because I did my research. You NEVER listen to the owners statements except to tell you where to start your research. They dont lie usually, but sometimes dont tell all the truth unless asked.

Same on my boat. Got a real diamond in the rough that several previous owners did not even know they had. But my research thru ALL previous owners showed what a cream puff it was and the few discrepancies have been minor and inexpensive to correct. (so far, less than $100) Passed the USCG inspection with no discrepancies.

I sold my sail boat because I wasn't comfortable sleeping there anymore. My wife didn't really understand that we just had enough room on the double bed for her to lie comfortably on her back while I had to stay on one side with my back against the fiberglass hull.

Sold my first trawler because of the financial crash of 2007/8.

Tried to buy another trawler from a guy who had divorced, bought the boat for a live-aboard. Then got remarried and did not use the boat for two years evidenced by the log and the hour meters.

Still in the process of buying my second trawler from a seller who wanted to down size. Funny, my worry about this boat is that it is too big for us.

Oh well.

I laughed at your comment on "selling for health reasons."

I got a hernia, had surgery, got an infection from the surgery, got treated with antibotics, had a reaction to the antibiotics, went into 11 day coma, had a general organ failure in the coma where everything but my heart stopped, and woke up on dialysis and on the national organ transplant list.

Then I sold my boat, reluctantly, "for health reasons."

Selling boat. Reason: I'm on the short list for the next Mars mission. Won't be able to use her for a while...

200.gif

And if "health reasons" is true, then what?

And if "health reasons" is true, then what?
I think it`s intended to create interest by planting expectations of a bargain price without implying negatives about condition. The equivalent in real estate of a "deceased estate" sale, except then someone usually died.
I would always ask the "why" question, but with no particular expectation of a frank answer. Even so, it might disclose something, if only a disinclination to answer questions honestly.

Back
Top Bottom