Storing Sealants like 5200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saving sealants

I store all sealants and caulks in a container which I vacuum pack. They stay fresh indefinitely. I also store all spare parts in bags which I vacuum seal.

I store all sealants and caulks in a container which I vacuum pack. They stay fresh indefinitely. I also store all spare parts in bags which I vacuum seal.

Seems like a lot of folks vacuum pack their things.... Can you educate us on what vacuum equipment you use... options and bags needed?

Thx

It’s good to vacuum bag your flares as well. The retail packaging isn’t very water resistant.

At the marine electronics place I worked , we got a lot of tubes that only after a half season or so of storage, the whole tube had hardened.

Now that was a few years ago, maybe things are better, and freezing certainly may help but I would still be leary of storage time.

Most things that self harden....usually do..... :)

Seems like a lot of folks vacuum pack their things.... Can you educate us on what vacuum equipment you use... options and bags needed?

Thx
It is a Food Saver, GameSaver Big Game model. It operates on both 120 volt A/C electric as well as 12 volt D/C current. In addition to Food Saver bags we have Ball Dome canning jar accessory and Food Saver cannisters of varying volumes. We use one canisters for all sealants and caulks.

We lightly spray spare machinery, such as a starter, alternator, water pump, etc., with Patron Plus spray lubricant prior to sealing them for storage.

As an aside, I use Patron Plus lubricants in or on ALL mechanical equipment and fuels, and Royal Purple oil in ALL engines.

Back
Top Bottom