Dogs aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Breeze
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
Hi,
Thought I'd try and post here on the GB forum specifically. Does anyone travel with their dogs on their 32 or 36? These are the boats we are leaning toward, but I can't seem to see how we can help our pup get up top with us, and she would hate to be left down below if we are up on the flybridge. Lucy is a mid-size Lab, so unfortunately we can't just carry her up! What do you all do?

Our border collie travels with us fine, but she doesn't get to be on the flybridge....just downstairs, which she accepts reluctantly. We see dogs on boats in the 30 ft range and it seems like it works fine. It just takes a desire to have them with you.

I know she will love it; she is very happy to be on our smaller boat, especially when it means shore excursions and water! (I grew up as a liveaboard with dogs, so acquainted with all the pros and cons -- it's worth the effort, in my opinion.) But she will definitely be unhappy to be below without us. We can certainly do that if everything else is right, but as we don't have the next boat yet, I am wondering if anyone has come up with a creative fix or has some thoughts?

My dog goes with me all the time. He is a 10 pound Maltese! Lol! He must be on the bridge while underway.

Our Golden Retriever travels with us. He quickly mastered putting his paws on the top step of the ladder then jumping to the top of the aft cabin and from there to the fly bridge. What was more difficult was getting him in and out of the dinghy. Our boat does not have a transom door. I eventually built a ramp which he learned to use.

That's exactly what I was hoping to learn, Doug. Does he get down okay? Check into Pet Loader steps -- I have them for my truck and it makes dog loading/unloading very easy! As an aside, how do you like your CHB 34? Pros/cons? That's a boat we're also looking at.

Melissar 0
He is a bit nervous coming down but fiqured it out. As to the CHB 34, we like ours, had it about 8 years now, cruised extensively. Like any Taiwanese trawler including GB you need to check them out carefully. We keep ours in a boathouse. PM me if you would a more in-depth discussion.

Most dogs get used to boats but it takes time. Yours may learn to climb the ladder. A quality canine life jacket makes a good sling to lower your dog down with a small winch system.
Get your dog used to the life jacket at home for a while. We upsized our kelpie's lifejacket when she grew out of the original one. The first day out with it, she went to follow us to the foredeck along our narrow, unprotected walkway beside the pilothouse. The bulkier lifejacket caught the edge of the cabin and knocked her overboard. Since then she uses the opening forward window.

Great suggestions, everyone. Thank you. Doug, I will probably be messaging you. Have found an interesting CHB with fiberglass decks, a real plus in my book! After we take an initial look, will probably have many questions for you.

We have a PFD for Radar. It has 2 handles so we can pick him up. Put it on him at home and then gave him treats. Carried him around at home and then gave treats. He loves to wear it now. We still would not be able to lift him up to the bridge if it was up a vertical ladder. We have 3 steps from the sundeck to the bridge. We changed the steps on it to make them wider fore and aft and then covered them with Seadek for nonskid purposes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom