Reimporting US Boat Bought in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaddon

Vessel Name
Almost Home
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42 FB
I'm buying a Nordic Tugs 42 in Ontario and will personnaly bring it into the US through the Port of Oswego on its own bottom. Does anyone have recent experience with this.

Since it is US built boat, everyone agrees that no duty is owed. However, some folks are saying I must hire a customs broker (cost nearly $1,500). Others say I can just bring it in myself with proper documentation: bill of sale, builders certificate, EPA form 3520-21, and Canadian registration.

Anyone with recent experience bringing in a US made boat purchased in Canada?

July, 2018 there will be a 10% tariff charge by the federal government for boats coming from the US into Canada, see attached PDF. Sorry read it wrong, you are going the other way.

Attachments

• BoatingBC.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Customs brokers get and file all the relevant forms on a regular basis. They have already conquered the learning curve and the process is very simple. If you are intimidated by that learning curve, by all means pay a broker to do the work. If you are undaunted, go on line, call the border guys, get yourself up on which forms are necessary for your importation and save some money.
My own experience is not as valuable to you as some others may be, as I have only gone the other way, from the US into Canada.
When we had Free Trade, before your big guy messed with it, there were no duties to pay, but I did have to pay our sales taxes, both Fed (GST @ 5%) and Provincial (BC PST @ 7%) when I imported my Dinghy in 2010, Motorhome and Tow Dolly in 2011, 2nd Motorhome in 2014, trailer and car in 2017. The requirement to pay duty on items coming in from other than the US was confusing, as my dinghy was made in Argentina, outboard in Japan and car in Germany. In fact, each of those items had already been landed in the US, so no duty was applicable to bring them into Canada.
The recommendation to use a broker was mentioned several times in the on line sites that I referenced, but the forms presented no difficulties, the guys at the border were helpful when called, and no brokers were necessary.
I would expect your processes to be the same.

I don't know of any retaliatory duties on boats going from Canada to US at this moment, but once ours on boats going from US to Canada are in place next month, your guy in charge will likely institute that sort of disincentive to shopping in Canada.

I'm buying a Nordic Tugs 42 in Ontario and will personnaly bring it into the US through the Port of Oswego on its own bottom. Does anyone have recent experience with this.

Since it is US built boat, everyone agrees that no duty is owed. However, some folks are saying I must hire a customs broker (cost nearly $1,500). Others say I can just bring it in myself with proper documentation: bill of sale, builders certificate, EPA form 3520-21, and Canadian registration.

Anyone with recent experience bringing in a US made boat purchased in Canada?

I'm doing the same thing, pending satisfactory survey next week, but seller is delivering to Oswego for closing.

Are you closing in Ontario or Oswego? If the former, how are you handling Documetation / state registration? Prior to / at closing the Ontario Pleasure Craft license will be de-registered and boat not yet imported?

Last fall we brought a boat NOT made in the USA into Washington from British Columbia. It was easy.

We searched all the usual websites, then called the four closest ports of entry to see what they wanted. There was a surprising variation in what we were told, but in the end we connected with the port that does it most often for recreational vessels and they made it quite straightforward for us.

Oh yeah, and the fee? Zero dollars. :thumb:

Here's a repost of our experience doing this from British Columbia into Washington:

<snip>

Now, it's a bit complicated if you purchase through a broker and have the boat professionally delivered to the USA. In that case, the CBP folks say that you MUST use a US broker at this end of the transaction.

But if you bring it in yourself FOR PERSONAL USE it's a very straightforward process, provided that you've done your homework. Here's what the Friday Harbor folks have put together as a checklist:

a. There is no cost for self-importation.
b. The owner should be aboard the vessel as it enters the US or at the dock awaiting its arrival.
c. You need Proof of Ownership showing a bona fide value. A Bill of Sale satisfies this requirement. I used the USCG Bill of Sale (form CG-1340). NOTE: this form has a box for "Consideration Received," which is sales price. But it also says "One dollar and other valuable consideration unless otherwise stated." YOU MUST STATE THE ACTUAL SALES PRICE.
d. You need the vessel's current license/registration in Canada. Note that vessels in Canada are not "titled" like we're used to, but are "licensed" in the province. This license, together with the previous bill of sale from whomever the owner bought the vessel from, forms the proof of ownership. Like our documentation, vessels may also be "registered" on the Canadian Registry of Vessels. If this is the case, you'll need the seller to provide you with a "Certificate of Deregistration" proving that the vessel has been removed from the registry before you can document it in the US. If you're not going to document it you don't need this certificate.
e. Evidence of origin is required, such as a Hull Identification Number, Certificate of Origin, Canadian federal registration documents, builder's statement, etc. They're not too uptight about this; our boat was only one of six or seven built by a guy 40 years ago, and had neither HIN nor any sort of original builder's certificates. We used the above documents plus a survey form that identified what the vessel was (i.e., built in BC) in order to establish that it would be covered under NAFTA.
f. Proof the vessel conforms to EPA standards. Our boat is 41 years old, so this was moot. If the vessel is older than 21 years OR if it originated in the US it doesn't need this. If the vessel is less than 21 years old and originally came from Canada, you'll need to read this: https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicl...adian-vehicles. If it's older than 21 and was built outside of the US or Canada, you'll need to read this: https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicl...es-and-engines. EPA form 3520-21 will be needed.
g. Bring along a completed form CBP 7501, "Entry Summary." This form is rather complicated because it's designed for commercial importers. Just download the instructions and follow them, box by box. If you're not sure of something, leave it blank and the CBP folks will fill it in for you.
h. Also bring a completed form CBP 1300, "Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement." It's pretty straightforward, but they'll help you complete any blanks that you leave.

Last edited:
My experience bringing a US built boat back:
In 2011 I came thru Port Angeles,WA, but should be similar. I notified customs in advance of when I would arrive. A week before and again by phone that morning to verify arrival time. I had reams of paperwork because the Canadians had the vessel documents all screwed up, wrong builder, build date. But I had no problem with customs. They met me at the dock, even filled out the customs papers for me. Total fee in 2011 for an 83' yacht was $12.50. You don't need no freakin' broker. Also you can hand carry papers and file for reissued US documentation at any USCG office and save all the broker money. Unless you just have money to burn or don't have the time.

I'm doing the same thing, pending satisfactory survey next week, but seller is delivering to Oswego for closing.

Are you closing in Ontario or Oswego? If the former, how are you handling Documetation / state registration? Prior to / at closing the Ontario Pleasure Craft license will be de-registered and boat not yet imported?

I'm closing the sale in Canada three days before I arrive back in the US using a registered marine agent that the Seller and I have agreed upon. The agent is providing the certified Bill of Sale, Canadian registration information, Canadian de-registration documentation, and original Builder's Certificate (proving US made). I will document the boat with the USCG and register the dingy with the state once I get to home port.

My experience bringing a US built boat back:
In 2011 I came thru Port Angeles,WA, but should be similar. I notified customs in advance of when I would arrive. A week before and again by phone that morning to verify arrival time. I had reams of paperwork because the Canadians had the vessel documents all screwed up, wrong builder, build date. But I had no problem with customs. They met me at the dock, even filled out the customs papers for me. Total fee in 2011 for an 83' yacht was $12.50. You don't need no freakin' broker. Also you can hand carry papers and file for reissued US documentation at any USCG office and save all the broker money. Unless you just have money to burn or don't have the time.

Very helpful. Who did you notify at Customs? The Small Vessel Reporting 800 number or the local field office? It would be helpful to know.

Very helpful. Who did you notify at Customs? The Small Vessel Reporting 800 number or the local field office? It would be helpful to know.

The SVRS line isn't set up to import a boat.

You'll want to talk to the local office that will be processing you. Call them a week or so in advance to give them the tentative time; they'll confirm their availability, tell you when they're out to lunch or at a nearby branch office or airport, etc. Then call the day before and again the morning of arrival at their office. When they see that you're proactive about doing all this, they'll be glad to help you out.

We even sent an "attaboy" to the powers-that-be about how helpful the local office was. They really took all the hassle and trepidation out of the process.

Back
Top Bottom