Boat aground in Perdido Pass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latravcha

Do not know how he managed this other than lots of alcohol.
This is and easy pass to navigate and it looks like he tried to cut between the rocks and the beach. big no no.
Boat crashes on jetties in Perdido Pass - WKRG

Perdido pass.jpg

Sometimes those low jetties are underwater at high tide and hard to see.

Just sayin' because my old friend Al Cohol gets a lot of needless blame. :socool:

I almost did something similar going into Key West a few years ago. Zero alcohol was in use.

I miss one of the markers and almost went directly to the jetty that is on the northside that happens to hide about 2 feet underwater at high tide.

In this case, there's a rock mole on the east side of the channel that extends southwest from the beach about 400 yards into the water. There's a companion mole similarly situated on the west side of the channel. Channel markers at the end of each mole with a sea bouy maybe 1/2 mile out.

Even though the north (beach end) of the mole was submerged for about 200 yards, the south extent is another 200 yards of well exposed (maybe 4-8' above water) rock. On radar or by eye (or a look at a chart), that situation is really hard to miss.

The hailing port on the boat is Orange Beach, so the boat is not a transient. Sounds like the bottle got the best of him. Glad no one was apparently injured.

Awe hell. That's in my back yard. Story is the boat pulled anchor somewhere inshore and the "captain" tried to get her back to port. And somehow ended up on the rocks at the pass. Alfred Cohol was indeed involved.

News 10 said he was headed south out of the pass. 600 yards wide .

Arrest made!

Still amazing how many people have run over that jetty. In the daytime, to boot (at least this one was at night)!

Even a couple who really should have known better.

That really surprises me Group. I'm in and out of there occasionally, and that gap in the east mole just reeks of sucker punch.

That really surprises me Group. I'm in and out of there occasionally, and that gap in the east mole just reeks of sucker punch.

A few years ago, a charter boat captain who had been through that pass a hundred times, went in over the submerged jetty and wrecked a boat.

Back
Top Bottom