40' to 50' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thor, I like RonE's suggestion. If you do as well, you might look at the 38' and the 42' Marshal Californians. $60's will get you a good one. Very solid boats. Made in California, but don't hold that against them. Usually powered by twin Perkins 354's. The 42 has a larger salon and second shower in the bow.

A forum like this is to share opinions and experience. The OP explained his plan and people gave feedback on his plan. That is the essence of an internet forum. Are people supposed to only give positive feedback so the OP's feelings don't get hurt ?

If I asked what kind of row boat should I use to row to Bermuda, should everyone just recomend a nice row boat and wish me luck ???

If people think his plan is not a good one, they should say so....and many have done just that.

I think many of us were skeptical until he listed his credentials and experience.
Barring anything major, I am sure he can tackle it quickly and successfully. With his stated skill set and experience, 'major' problems will take him a while longer.
I wish him well and I am sure all of the skeptics now wish him well too.

Thor, I like RonE's suggestion. If you do as well, you might look at the 38' and the 42' Marshal Californians. $60's will get you a good one. Very solid boats. Made in California, but don't hold that against them. Usually powered by twin Perkins 354's. The 42 has a larger salon and second shower in the bow.

They are nice looking boats. Alas, I own a boat.

I don't check in on Trawler Forums very often and reading this thread reminds me of why.

So the OP's big sin was that in post #1, he stated what he wanted to do with his trawler.

Several years ago, I had a minister contact me from BC and he wanted a trawler for ministerial work in Central America. I sold him a boat that was in Newfoundland. Once he got to Central America, he started a website with pictures of his ministering to locals in areas not easily accessible by land. His crew was his wife and 2 children (maybe 10 & 12?). While I was skeptical of his goals, I would occasionally check his website and I gotta tell you, I was impressed with his success in meeting his goals. We never discussed religion, just finding an appropriate boat for his purpose. Not sure the OP deserved getting 5 pages of mostly unrelated responses to his request for help from this group.

Tough group here. Surprising and disappointing.

Judy

Darn, Judy... We're not all that bad.

I see you joined over a decade ago and have posted only 10 times. You might come on in for a few weeks and see how the water really is. Like I said... We're not all that bad. And, would be nice to have another female energy posting in TF. Guys can be great to horse around with, but, a woman's touch is always very appreciated!

Agreed! Very sad and disappointing to see the nasty and snide remarks left by many on this thread. I don't think anyone takes into account the negative impact your mocking commentary makes one those who are new to this forum. And by the looks of it, not that it means a flying rip to any of you.

Mock and make fun all you want, enjoy and have at it.

"You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved."

Maybe I read the thread wrong. Thor and his family want to cruise the loop. He is calling his family crew. He will be bringing two clergy onboard for a retreat and study. Is this right so far? The “congregation “ is and will be footing the bill going forward since the boat will be put in what I assume will be a 501c-4 ( church designation).

I have a 501c-3 organization that provides disaster relief to first responders. My daughter actually started it 12 years ago. I have seen more scams than I care to admit. Theoretically I could put the boat into the 501c-3 and use donations to maintain and fuel it. As long as I carry supplies and or a first responder, ( son-in-law). Nope, nope, nope. I could never do that although the boat has been used in that capacity. I bought it, I fuel it, I maintain it and still use it for charitable work.

Maybe I read the thread wrong. Thor and his family want to cruise the loop. He is calling his family crew. He will be bringing two clergy onboard for a retreat and study. Is this right so far? The “congregation “ is and will be footing the bill going forward since the boat will be put in what I assume will be a 501c-4 ( church designation).

I have a 501c-3 organization that provides disaster relief to first responders. My daughter actually started it 12 years ago. I have seen more scams than I care to admit. Theoretically I could put the boat into the 501c-3 and use donations to maintain and fuel it. As long as I carry supplies and or a first responder, ( son-in-law). Nope, nope, nope. I could never do that although the boat has been used in that capacity. I bought it, I fuel it, I maintain it and still use it for charitable work.

And.... you smile good too! :thumb:

These posts are worth repeating here. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on from the nay-sayers and haters.

thorhooked, I wish you all the best in your search. I hope you stick around for the sage advice and warm encouragement that so many here are good at sharing.

God bless you and yours.

In my opinion TF is being particularly harsh to Thor.

There are two issues. The first is the typical naïveté of many folks looking to get a boat for the loop, the inland passage to AK, cruising the Bahamas, or a circumnavigation. I started out looking at trawlers with as much or more ignorance as most. Fortunately, TF was helpful and kind in educating me.

The second issue that seems to be tripping people up is Thor’s desired use of the boat. He described his ideas and purpose in the terms he is comfortable with.

FWIW, I am a person of faith. I’ve grown up in the the church and have known many folks involved in ministry. I’ve been involved in religious ministry myself, both here and abroad. I don’t think I’ve ever explicitly stated this in this forum as it has not been relevant to the discussions at hand. I don’t believe I’ve ever commented on anyone’s faith or lack of it. It may come as a surprise that I give about 10% of my income to the church and other religious ministries. That, more than my sailing background, may be why I am such a cheap SOB.

I don’t know Thor and he could certainly be a con out to get someone to pay for a boat and vacation for his family. However, just as I do with other members of TF, I take folks at their word and assume the best until proven otherwise. Also, because of my own religious background, this idea doesn’t seem all that unique.

Spot on dhays, but it is also a reflection of the state of religion today. Fewer and fewer folks practice a religion, especially in the PNW, and the views of the far evangelical right are simply making it worse.

Well said D and I have to say I agree. I do not think anyone in the trawler forum knows about our mission work because I have never shared it and after reading this thread I have to say I am glad I have not.

Hi thorhooked:

Don't be dismayed by the negative answers and comments coming from this thread. You're doing a great thing and your heart is in the right place. You need to forgive these people and ignore them.

I understand where you're coming from and what you're trying to accomplish. My wife and I have similar aspirations when we retire. Currently we are in full-time pastoral ministry and have been for the past 34 years; and we have done extensive missionary work in the Caribbean and Central & South America.

We have brought teams of workers and helpers to many different countries in these areas to help, churches, schools, pastors, campgrounds, etc. We have also done lots of hurricane relief work and helped in these areas too. It has been a very rewarding life!

I also have a similar background as you, I too am a former diesel mechanic, welder, commercial fisherman, and my boating experience, and different my skill sets are varied and extensive also.

As a personal note, we purchased a 36' Grand Banks Classic Trawler that we plan on using for ministry when we retire and after owning it for a year, we realize that its probably NOT going to be big enough for our vision. So we are looking for something 48' or bigger. We also set up a 501-c3 non-profit organization with a board of directors made up of some great business men to help guide us in this ministry when we retire.

Just as an FYI, I have a friend in Maine who has been a very successful general contractor that bought a 80' motor yacht and does exactly the same thing as you want to do with your future boat. They keep their boat in the Bahamas and He invites pastors, missionaries, and other ministry related folks to come and stay on their yacht for a week at a time, and enjoy some R & R and spiritual renewal. This is all for free too. Of course, they have to work around hurricane season just as you do winter on the loop.

Those of us in ministry know that the average pastor in America is not well paid and works another job to make ends meet. He's also not on TV, doesn't have any published books or movies. They are pastors of a church that averages about 50 on Sunday mornings. Therefore they could hardly afford a retreat like this. As you know, I'm not knocking those that God has chosen to have a more public and larger ministry, I'm just saying that the great majority of pastors struggle to make ends meet.

I say all of this as an encouragement to you. You're doing great thing. I'd love to spend a week on your boat, somewhere on the loop, in our beautiful land and enjoy the creation! I get it. How it gets paid for is nobody's business. And you and I both know that there are lots of people who give away boats, cars, houses, planes and other things of value to many different charities around the world. I hear of it and see it all the time. I'm also a licensed yacht broker in Florida, working with a reputable company, so I speak from real knowledge and experience.

God bless you and your family and keep up the vision!!!

This is meant as personal message to thorhooked and to my friends here on the Trawler Forum, unless you have a positive response, please keep it to yourself and let's all stay nice and friendly and positive to another and treat people as you would like to be treated.

I don't check in on Trawler Forums very often and reading this thread reminds me of why.

So the OP's big sin was that in post #1, he stated what he wanted to do with his trawler.

Several years ago, I had a minister contact me from BC and he wanted a trawler for ministerial work in Central America. I sold him a boat that was in Newfoundland. Once he got to Central America, he started a website with pictures of his ministering to locals in areas not easily accessible by land. His crew was his wife and 2 children (maybe 10 & 12?). While I was skeptical of his goals, I would occasionally check his website and I gotta tell you, I was impressed with his success in meeting his goals. We never discussed religion, just finding an appropriate boat for his purpose. Not sure the OP deserved getting 5 pages of mostly unrelated responses to his request for help from this group.

Tough group here. Surprising and disappointing.

Judy

The guy has a dream.....shocking in a boater!

Not my dream (or perhaps yours) but why is it necessary to dump on it?

I’m with others who are a bit taken aback by some of the responses to this thread.

Good luck, Thor.

Agreed! Very sad and disappointing to see the nasty and snide remarks left by many on this thread. I don't think anyone takes into account the negative impact your mocking commentary makes one those who are new to this forum. And by the looks of it, not that it means a flying rip to any of you.

Mock and make fun all you want, enjoy and have at it.

"You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved."

Last edited:
Whether this is for real or not, it's been a really fun thread. Thank you thorhooked and keep it coming. We need entertainment like this every now and then.

It's not even winter yet. This is gonna be the thread that keeps giving. Energizer bunny!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether this is for real or not, it's been a really fun thread. Thank you thorhooked and keep it coming. We need entertainment like this every now and then.
Enjoy, I have very broad shoulders and an even stronger belief in God. Wasn't expecting to be given the opportunity to share what God has called me to do by posting in the classifieds on Trawler Forum. Actually didn't expect much of a response at all. "God works in mysterious ways."

In the PNW there is a vessel successfully spreading the word called the “Coastal Messenger.” The craft is large, seaworthy and staffed by pros. Thor, you may want to get in touch with them for insight.

In the PNW there are a lot of communities that are very isolated and hard to get to. Having a ministry on a boat makes a bit more sense, IMO.

However, on the loop, you are usually in the more densely populated part of the country. While there are some small communities, they usually relatively close to larger population centers. Access to these communities whole lot faster and easier by some sort of land based vehicle than by boat.

The people on the loop boat are going to be relying a lot more on people with vehicles to support them then the other way around like you find in the wilds of the PNW.

I'm baaaack!

Thanks, guys! I received a few pm's and also I appreciate the additional posts showing a bit more sea-kindliness.

I'll try to contribute as appropriate.

Judy

Wifey B:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D At least I didn't pick the Andy Griffith one.

In the PNW there is a vessel successfully spreading the word called the “Coastal Messenger.” The craft is large, seaworthy and staffed by pros. Thor, you may want to get in touch with them for insight.
WOW, for eighty plus years Coastal Missions has been spreading God's word via a boat ministry on the west coast of the US, Canada and Alaska and never once asked for a penny! That must really Amaze some of you, that donations have come in when they were needed to do God's work for 80 years. It is my firm and unchanging belief, if my God has the power to speak the universe into being, starting and supporting a Sabbatical Ministry on Americas Great Loop will not be a problem for Him. Thank you Guru for turning me on to Coastal Messenger and Coastal Missions, I have signed up for there news letter and will be signing up for there monthly donation program. I will also be contacting them for insight as to ways to reach the lost. Thank you! Blessings

I dunno. Originally the way Thorhooked presented himself did sound kinda iffy. Kinda reminds me of the guy who posted here about looking for a trawler to motor from the West Coast to Hawaii and maybe further. That guy was at best wildly naive about what it would take to go that far in a trawler. While that guy got pretty viciously shot down, perhaps he was dissuaded from doing something risky and foolish.

While Thorhooked may be legit, the way he originally presented himself might have been less than completely obvious. The internet is full of trolls who make preposterous postings just to get a rise out of people. Without any context besides what was typed by the OP, readers of this forum can only make judgements based on what actually appears in this forum.

As mentioned by others, when asked for advice, are we supposed to be fully supportive even when we know better, or are we supposed to be realistic in our responses based on our individual (and collective) experiences?

Personally, in my view anyone who "preaches God's word" or "serves God's ministry" or the equivalent without actually living by that Word needs to be viewed with a critical eye. Requiring a multi million dollar executive jet or a boat that the average working stiff who they profess to be ministering to can only dream of raises red flags with me.

I work hard and make a decent living, but a 40 to 50 foot boat to do the loop (or anything else) is not in my future. Ever. And I do not expect any god to provide me with one either no matter how much I pray for it.

Last edited:
I dunno. Originally the way Thorhooked presented himself did sound kinda iffy. Kinda reminds me of the guy who posted here about looking for a trawler to motor from the West Coast to Hawaii and maybe further. That guy was at best wildly naive about what it would take to go that far in a trawler. While that guy got pretty viciously shot down, perhaps he was dissuaded from doing something risky and foolish.

While Thorhooked may be legit, the way he originally presented himself might have been less than completely obvious. The internet is full of trolls who make preposterous postings just to get a rise out of people. Without any context besides what was typed by the OP, readers of this forum can only make judgements based on what actually appears in this forum.

As mentioned by others, when asked for advice, are we supposed to be fully supportive even when we know better, or are we supposed to be realistic in our responses based on our individual (and collective) experiences?

Personally, in my view anyone who "preaches God's word" or "serves God's ministry" or the equivalent without actually living by that Word needs to be viewed with a critical eye. Requiring a multi million dollar executive jet or a boat that the average working stiff who they profess to be ministering to can only dream of raises red flags with me.

I work hard and make a decent living, but a 40 to 50 foot boat to do the loop (or anything else) is not in my future. Ever. And I do not expect any god to provide me with one either no matter how much I pray for it.

Best post of the day.

It also just occurred to me that if the OP was really interested in giving ministers a break from their responsibilities, $120-150K (boat plus estimated operating cost for great loop) would buy a lot of one week Caribbean cruises out of FL. Especially in the off season (prime loop cruisin' time), when bought in blocks and in advance. I'm sure the cruise lines would be happy to strike a deal. It would also be a lot less work for the OP than actually driving a boat around the great loop and all the hassles that would go with that. The FL cruise thing would help a whole lot more ministers than would be possible with the original plan proposed by the OP. Plus the ministerial guests would still get to be on a boat (er, ship).

We're not being asked to approve the merit of the intended use. We're being asked about a boat choice.

The OP would be well advised to avoid proselytizing.

We're not being asked to approve the merit of the intended use. We're being asked about a boat choice.

The OP would be well advised to avoid proselytizing.

I went back and reread every one of Thor’s posts. I didn’t see him proselytizing. I did see him making expressions of his own faith in the language of his faith community. I never read anything that was an attempt to make converts of TF members.

There seem to be some TF members who are exceptionally uncomfortable if someone is open about their faith. Thor’s comments have related to the idea of a boat search and have been more on-topic than many of our rambling discussions. For many, using the language of faith is not meant to be provocative, coercive, or evangelical. It is simply an inherent part of their language and is as natural as breathing. Think of it as almost a dialect.

Maybe Thor will recognize that some are made uncomfortable and annoyed by it and try to modify his language? Maybe others will try to exercise tolerance as well. Communities of all kinds work best when individuals try to avoid being excessively annoying, and try to avoid being easily annoyed.

My last post on this subject. Reiterating that I do not believe believe in ORGANIZED religion. I believe in God and helping fellow man. I will not support any organization, religious or not in searching for a luxury item that will be paid for by donations. Clearly when additional motives are involved, ie: family vacation comes to mind, hiding behind a religion is way too convenient.

“God will provide”. What exactly does this mean? A boat? A car? An rv? No. God provides a sense of belonging, not material things.

He stated 3 cabins. 1 for him and his wife. 1 for his kids. That leaves only 1 or too pastors on board in the 3rd cabin. ?? Does this really make sense?

The 75ft yacht “ no kid n” is for sale. I had a tour of her. 4 staterooms, 4 crew quarters. $699,000.00 Lazara. Now that would be a better fit.

This thread is pretty humorous.

Banter/conflict over what side to take [conservative or liberal / e.g. believer or non believer] and the reasons for taking one side or belief or another route is soooo similar to politics.

Then there is always middle of the road... just like politics.

I opt for middle ground here. Thor may really believe his "procedure" will be a benefit to all. Who am I to judge? Sometimes the mind works in mysterious ways... sorta like God... cause after all, we were created in the likeness thereof - and, I sure do NOT mean physical.

Most of you are missing the most important question needing answered!!
What anchor will be on His boat :hide:

Have a great Day

If someone wants to try to do some good in the world...more power to him. And if he's the guy doing it...he gets to choose how to apply his intentions.

My comments were mainly financial, as I think th tax implications of his plan are really interesting. Even if he doesn't seek donations...if he formed a non-profit, he could donate his own boat, and write it off as a charitable contribution. Instead of him buying fuel, he donates money to the non profit, takes the deduction, and the non profit buys the fuel.....food...maintenance....everything could be run through the non profit. He could probably even donate investments in kind and avoid paying capital gains on them. Then the non profit could pay him for his time with the proceeds of those assetts. This is even better than the tax dodge that pro athletes get from forming their own foundations.

Thorhook,

I suppose we shouldn't expect much better treatment, aye? . Historically, Christ (whether one believes he was the savior or not), was crucified by the world much the same. Matt 5:10.

I don't normally chat religion or politics - but it's true - we tend to kill anything that is good. History seems to be repeating itself today.

Cary Grant was awesome. Who else from old Hollywood fits that billing? He was also in a movie called Houseboat. Was that a trawler? How’s that for changing the topic?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom