Wrapping fuel hose to stop diesel smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce Palmer

Vessel Name
Aqua Vitae
Vessel Make
Seahorse 52 LRC
Hello all. My fuel tank fill hose, about 1.5”, runs through the corner of the master stateroom. Long story short, it has a portion of that has a small reverse grade and fuel can collect at this low point. It is good American made A2 marine fuel hose, but after 12 years is weeping fuel odors that are getting too strong for comfort. Replacing the hose can only be done by a 20 year old 110 pound yoga master with 30 years of marine experience and I have not found this person yet. I have done some tight repair work, but this is near impossible.

So, I’m thinking of wrapping the hose in some kind of fuel resistant tape or liquid rubber or goop or ???? to try to slow down the smell. Any ideas what product might work? Anyone else ever fought this same problem? Thanks for any help.

Bruce

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Keep looking for that 20 year old yogist. Perhaps decommission the current hose and remove then run a brand new hose in a more accessible location.

I don't know about solutions that involve raps but I have replaced a couple of difficult hose runs from deck fills. I have found that pulling the deck fill out of the hose can make a significant difference in making the job possible. After the new hose is in place the last step is to reinstall the deck fill inserting it into the new hose and then tighten the clamps.

Clear Saran Wrap will stop the smell from permeating through holding tank hoses at least for a time. I don’t know of anything that will stop diesel smell from permeating through a fuel hose. You need to find someone to replace the hose. Sorry.

Add me to the sorry list too. You do need to replace the hose and/or stop the weeps/leaks. I would think that if access is difficult then a complete wrap job will be just as difficult as replacing the hose. Check the hose ends, and around your tank carefully. Paper towels can help find weeps. Diesel does not give any odour when confined!

Rapping will work. You need to make 3 or 4 full raps using cling or glad wrap. Ensure that the rap covers both you nose and mouth and is tight around your head. After about 5 or 6 minutes you won’t notice the diesel smell at all. ( sorry, I couldn’t help myself )

RT's solution is the only one that will work, the hose is shot and you are only delaying the inevitable. Buy a quality hose from a proper line shop, not an automotive shop, replace, forget.

Hello all. My fuel tank fill hose, about 1.5”, runs through the corner of the master stateroom. Long story short, it has a portion of that has a small reverse grade and fuel can collect at this low point. It is good American made A2 marine fuel hose, but after 12 years is weeping fuel odors that are getting too strong for comfort. Replacing the hose can only be done by a 20 year old 110 pound yoga master with 30 years of marine experience and I have not found this person yet. I have done some tight repair work, but this is near impossible.

So, I’m thinking of wrapping the hose in some kind of fuel resistant tape or liquid rubber or goop or ???? to try to slow down the smell. Any ideas what product might work? Anyone else ever fought this same problem? Thanks for any help.

Bruce
When (not if) you replace use hose rated A1 not A2 for an application where fuel is sitting trapped in the line.

I'll agree with the above: I'd bite the bullet and remove whatever cabinetry is necessary to access the hose. While I was at it, I'd correct the original flaw in the design and ensure a constant draining toward the tank.

I recently installed a new deck pump-out fitting and hose to my holding tank (the boat was from Canada and had no previous means of pumping out the black water tank other than overboard). It was physical and mental torture to route the line! Ultimately, it's good to go, though I was left shaken, battered, bruised, and I'm sure that the project somehow shortened my lifespan.

But it was possible. Anything is possible...it's just a matter of time, effort, and, of course, $$.

If you can wrap it you should be able to remove it. Maybe pull deck fitting. clamp on correct barb fitting into old and new and pull to tank . could have ties in run , so access might be needed. Ive done this when replacing generator exshust hose.

If you can wrap it you should be able to remove it. Maybe pull deck fitting. clamp on correct barb fitting into old and new and pull to tank . could have ties in run , so access might be needed. Ive done this when replacing generator exshust hose.

Thanks all for your replies. To clarify a bit, the hose is half in Stateroom cabinetry and half in the engine room. The stateroom half in reasonably accesable, but the engine room half is not. So I could wrap the half that is in the stateroom and potentially solve the problem in the short term. I don’t care if the engine room half is also smelling.

Good point on A1 vs A2 hose, thanks.

Bruce

Thanks all for your replies. To clarify a bit, the hose is half in Stateroom cabinetry and half in the engine room. The stateroom half in reasonably accesable, but the engine room half is not. So I could wrap the half that is in the stateroom and potentially solve the problem in the short term. I don’t care if the engine room half is also smelling.

Good point on A1 vs A2 hose, thanks.

Bruce

if the hose smells there it smells everywhere, in a fuel hose it is constantly in contact with fuel ( no air in line or you have even bigger trouble). Just because you stop the smell in the cabin doesn't keep the smell from the remainder of the hose fouling the boat. There is always another way to run the fuel line.. possibly change to copper so you can fish it blindly through areas you cannot fish a hose??

wrapping wont work

The only thing worse in a boat than fuel smell is sewage smell

HOLLYWOOD

Back
Top Bottom