Chafing protection for coolant hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
What to use for chafing protection on coolant hose? As it become pretty hot not sure what I can use. I rerouted 2 hoses connected to my heater and while they will be correctly tied there are 2 places I want to ensure they won't be damaged.
Would the foam tubes used to isolate plumbing do the trick? Not sure if this stands high temps.

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Iwouldn't use foam pipe insulation in the ER. What you might do is buy a few feet of rubber heater hose with an ID the same as the OD of the hose you want to protect. Slit the larger hose and using cable ties, secure it to the smaller hose.

I used Rescue Tape.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Iwouldn't use foam pipe insulation in the ER. What you might do is buy a few feet of rubber heater hose with an ID the same as the OD of the hose you want to protect. Slit the larger hose and using cable ties, secure it to the smaller hose.
Hi Mr RTF, very good idea! Even if diameter is not perfectly exact it will do the trick! Thank you very much!

Now another question, what to use as a heat shield on coolant hose. What I want to do is protect a water pipe that will not be far from the coolant hose, just don't want any heat damage (and no I cannot rout the coolant hose somewhere else :) )

L

Greetings,
Mr. L. Your coolant shouldn't ever get much over ~180F. What is the water pipe made of? Surely it can survive the below boiling temperatures...

Indeed, normal temp is around 165F. Pipe are made of PEX and covered in pipe insulation foam for protection. The foam is supposed to stand 200F.

L

Greetings,

This.

Greetings,

Interesting idea, also would be useful for where electric wires might be rubbing.
You don't want to bundle wires all tight together in conduit as that affects their heat rating for current flow. Plus makes it hard to make changes.

I have this one area where I pass about 10 wires between inner hull and a piece of plywood in a rectangular slot. about an inch width. I found that plywood floor ceiling shelf was rotting further back aft and so I can cut it out and free up those wires and do the rubber hose idea someday this summer. All the wires have shown no degrading where they touch the 3/4 inch plywood edge, been like that for over 10 years, but an electrical surveyor would not like it, claims they will rub and wear the insulation.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, also would be useful for where electric wires might be rubbing.
You don't want to bundle wires all tight together in conduit as that affects their heat rating for current flow. Plus makes it hard to make changes.

I have this one area where I pass about 10 wires between inner hull and a piece of plywood in a rectangular slot. about an inch width. I found that plywood floor ceiling shelf was rotting further back aft and so I can cut it out and free up those wires and do the rubber hose idea someday this summer. All the wires have shown no degrading where they touch the 3/4 inch plywood edge, been like that for over 10 years, but an electrical surveyor would not like it, claims they will rub and wear the insulation.
For wire I am using split loom, easy to install.

L

For wire I am using split loom, easy to install.

L

I have used also, works good. I have a 10 foot length of 2.5 inch diameter rubber heater type hose, that I could cut off a few inches for the wires.

I have also made wire hangers cut from oil and antifreeze bottles. they hold up well. I fold in half and put a SS screw to hold them in place, use 2 screws if wide band.

Last edited:
I have used also, works good. I have a 10 foot length of 2.5 inch diameter rubber heater type hose, that I could cut off a few inches for the wires.

I have also made wire hangers cut from oil and antifreeze bottles. they hold up well. I fold in half and put a SS screw to hold them in place, use 2 screws if wide band.
Again another good idea :)

L

Radiator hose, available inexpensively from any auto shop, in large diameter. Split it along its length and cable-tie (x2 or x3) over the chafe-risk area, with the split/open side away from the chafe point.

Check with your local fire station,they usually have old firehouse that they have to take out of commission. The hose has a tough abrasion resistant cover , they usually throw the hose out when they can’t use it anymore. Tell them what you want to do with it and they’ll probably give you some. It’s also good for dock line chafing.Slit it,wrap your hose or line and use clamps or wire ties .

Last edited:
Check with your local fire station,they usually have old firehouse that they have to take out of commission. The hose has a tough abrasion resistant cover , they usually throw the hose out when they can’t use it anymore. Tell them what you want to do with it and they’ll probably give you some. It’s also good for dock line chafing.Slit it,wrap your hose or line and use clamps or wire ties .
Another clever idea, thank you sir!

L

Back
Top Bottom