Dripless recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand the quest for the completly dry bilge, it would be impossible on My IG.

The anchor locker drains into the bilge, the pipes running the refridgeration drip condensation, the rudder gland drips water, far too much at the moment, etc.

A "dry" bilge is really simple , purchase a boat that has a bilge well that the water drains to , and use a diaphram pump to keep the water to under 1/2 inch.

In my vessel I have four distinct bilge pump areas. Keeping each dry alerts me to any problems. Issues I have found and stemmed very early in the maintenance cycle include a leaking rudder gland, leaking expansion tank, bad cooling hose, bad hydronic heater core, a leak in a deck fill, drip in a water pump, bad exhaust elbow and bad gasket on a sea strainer.

I once had a vessel with an always wet bilge. Every trip required a sleuthing prior to leaving the dock to be sure it was the same old drips and not something new.*As I*venture offshore, a dry bilge is a degree of comfort and safety I have found reassuring. For lake, ICW, Loop or coastal cruising I'm not so fussy.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 27th of November 2011 08:50:18 AM

Sunchaser makes a good point, in a dry bridge it is easy to spot and trace a leak.
Steve W.

in a dry bridge it is easy to spot and trace a leak.

Same with a clean engine

FF wrote:
in a dry bridge it is easy to spot and trace a leak.

Same with a clean engine

I have both.* And do my best to keep them that way.* For pride and for the reason you state.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom