View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
SailorPat

City: Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Vessel Name: Barefeet
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS
New Member but an Old Goat

If you follow sailboat, fresh water, long distance racing you will understand the honor I feel having been accepted into the Society of Mackinac Island Old Goats. Having completed 25 Bayview Yacht Club’s Port Huron to Mackinac Island races, plus a race from Massachusetts to Bermuda and numerous other Lake Michigan and Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair races . . . . well, I think I am retired from sailboat racing.

Now my thoughts turn to cruising my 2 bed, 2 bath floating condo — a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40DS. I had planned to own a trawler by now but we have not progressed beyond this cruising configured, comfortable sloop rigged sailboat.

“Barefeet” does not go under bridges with less than 56’ clearance, and she needs at least 5’ water depth. So, the Erie Canal is a take-down-the-mast hassle and the Great Loop is equally challenging. 7.5 knots tops the cruising speed under power; under sail we can see 8s.

Accordingly, y’all will see me sniffing around trawler, fast trawler and express cruiser articles, comments and questions. “The Force” is calling me.
SailorPat is offline   Reply With Quote