40' to 50' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An Advanced Search in YachtWorld turns up 100 or so boats in that size and price range on the East Coast. Thats just trawlers. None of my business what he does with it.

I do believe that many of you are missing the point. It sounds as if this is his personal money and he is trying to give back/pay it forward as a ministry, not as a way to profit as some suppose. Perhaps along the way he and his wife could enjoy the experiences and building relationships. As believers we are not called to foolishly give all of our money and resources to charity, but to be good stewards of what we are given. Our best to you Thorhooked!
Thank you Restitution for your insight! Thankfully someone finally understands what we are going to do. I've tried and obviously failed miserably to explain.

Blessings

Thorhooded, based upon your expressed skill set and experience, sounds like you are well qualified.
Now, you just need to double your available funds and get a mortgage too.

Last edited:
BrandB,

As for studying the loop, we have spent the past 10 plus years studying the loop. Reading everything we can get our hands on and visiting in person with many couples who have successfully completed the loop. We are also members of the ALGCA.

As for boating experience we have been members of Galveston Bay Sail and Power Squadron for the past 10 years. We both have this year completed the course, passed the test and received our OUPV/Six Pack License.

As for mechanical ability. I am a certified diesel mechanic, certified in Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit truck and heavy equipment diesels. Although these certifications are not for marine diesels, a diesel engine is a diesel engine, each brand has it’s own idiosyncrasies which are brand specific. Haven’t spent much time working on Ford Lehman, John Deere, Volvo Penta, Yanmar or Kubota, but unless the boat has been recently repowered it probably will not have a Yanmar or Kubota in it. I have an extensive background in diesel powered AC generators. Am proficient in AC/DC electrical and electronics with certification in Marine Electrical and Electronics from the United States Power Squadron. I am also quite competent in hydraulic applications, plumbing, be it fuel, waste water or potable water. I’ve spent the past few years manufacturing custom Stainless-Steel fuel tanks for everything from trawlers to towboat to ferryboats.
We feel that God has spent many years preparing us for this ministry. We both feel quite comfortable with the skills and knowledge God had blessed us with to undertake such a mission.

Blessings

Sound like you are better prepared than most.

Good luck with your adventure.

I think if you had stated your qualifications up front you probably would have gotten more useful answers.

I think you might be better off choosing between doing the loop and offering a place of respite and meditation for the clergy. The logistics of it will prove too difficult. I think most small churches are understaffed to the point where the clergy need to find substitute staff to tend the flock while they are on vacation. This takes a great deal of planning and lead time. They may not have the flexibility to adapt to your unspecified schedule. If you aren't there when their vacation time arrives the stress reduction factor may be lost.

Perhaps if you made it known you'd be in Big City #1, for months A,B and C.....then Big City #2 for months D, E, and F and so on it would be easier logistically. If I understand you correctly you aren't looking to transport these people geographically, only metaphysically. That can be done in day trips, short local cruises, or 3 or 4 days in a serene anchorage, which could be planned on a much more rigid schedule.
Also, I foresee marketing being a very difficult problem for a venture like this. In a traditional new business venture you have a promotions budget to "prime the pump" to create demand. Eventually you have enough word of mouth buzz created that customers are looking or you, rather than the other way around. If you are always on the move, none of your previous clients can help you get, or be, future clients. Growing your customer base will be very difficult.

Ideally, if you picked one permanent locations you may be able to serve more people, but not fulfill your mission of completing the loop. Your two missions looping and providing a retreat may not be concurrently practical.

Last edited:
Ok to me it seems most are missing the point but in many ways they do not have the understanding or belief to understand.

A close friend of ours did the loop in a Marlow (way out of our price range) they set aside 7 different weeks for people in the ministry I would not really call the weeks sabbaticals but a time to get away and enjoy.

We spent the first 2 weeks of the loop with them helping get the boat ready and ironing a few kinks out.

Best of luck in your journey!!

There are two issues. The first is the typical naïveté of many folks looking to get a boat for the loop, the inland passage to AK, cruising the Bahamas, or a circumnavigation. I started out looking at trawlers with as much or more ignorance as most. Fortunately, TF was helpful and kind in educating me.

The second issue that seems to be tripping people up is Thor’s desired use of the boat. He described his ideas and purpose in the terms he is comfortable with.

FWIW, I am a person of faith. I’ve grown up in the the church and have known many folks involved in ministry. I’ve been involved in religious ministry myself, both here and abroad. I don’t think I’ve ever explicitly stated this in this forum as it has not been relevant to the discussions at hand. I don’t believe I’ve ever commented on anyone’s faith or lack of it. It may come as a surprise that I give about 10% of my income to the church and other religious ministries. That, more than my sailing background, may be why I am such a cheap SOB.

I don’t know Thor and he could certainly be a con out to get someone to pay for a boat and vacation for his family. However, just as I do with other members of TF, I take folks at their word and assume the best until proven otherwise. Also, because of my own religious background, this idea doesn’t seem all that unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect what Siestakey's friend did. However, we're not missing the point. The point is the OP's desire for a boat to do the loop, sleep six and all for $95k. I don't know of a Marlow in his price range or a Marlow in that size range with three staterooms although some may have been built in that configuration. We put a lot of effort into finding a loop boat. A 60' Hatteras has three staterooms but won't fit under the Chicago bridge without modification so we ended up with a 65' Sunseeker, not a trawler, and substantially more than $95k.

As to where the $95k is coming from, why he chose to introduce that information I don't know. It only disturbed the discussion and wasn't relevant until he made it so.

In my opinion TF is being particularly harsh to Thor.

There are two issues. The first is the typical naïveté of many folks looking to get a boat for the loop, the inland passage to AK, cruising the Bahamas, or a circumnavigation. I started out looking at trawlers with as much or more ignorance as most. Fortunately, TF was helpful and kind in educating me.

The second issue that seems to be tripping people up is Thor’s desired use of the boat. He described his ideas and purpose in the terms he is comfortable with.

FWIW, I am a person of faith. I’ve grown up in the the church and have known many folks involved in ministry. I’ve been involved in religious ministry myself, both here and abroad. I don’t think I’ve ever explicitly stated this in this forum as it has not been relevant to the discussions at hand. I don’t believe I’ve ever commented on anyone’s faith or lack of it. It may come as a surprise that I give about 10% of my income to the church and other religious ministries. That, more than my sailing background, may be why I am such a cheap SOB.

I don’t know Thor and he could certainly be a con out to get someone to pay for a boat and vacation for his family. However, just as I do with other members of TF, I take folks at their word and assume the best until proven otherwise. Also, because of my own religious background, this idea doesn’t seem all that unique.

Well said D and I have to say I agree. I do not think anyone in the trawler forum knows about our mission work because I have never shared it and after reading this thread I have to say I am glad I have not.

Thor, I think your stated plans, while honorable, may I suggest might be a bit overly ambitious at this time.
The $90K is a good start. I question the finding a boat at that size that will be 'loop ready' for that amount of money especially without an additional significant mortgage.
I am not saying, it cannot be done for we all know, the Lord works in mysterious ways. But it also says, "The Lord helps those who help themselves." I don't see anyone successfully begging at the temple gates for fuel, dockage fees and maintenance for your boat when some church members maybe struggling for food and place to live. I could not do that with a clear conscious and I would hope, you could not do it either.

Maybe first, buy a smaller boat. A boat you and your wife can handle..... start the loop and see what the reception will be to your final plans of taking other ministerial couples for a week, or more, of travel and study.

Benthic2, I agree with you when you said, "I think if you had stated your qualifications up front you probably would have gotten more useful answers.
I think you might be better off choosing between doing the loop and offering a place of respite and meditation for the clergy. The logistics of it will prove too difficult."

Based upon your stated plan, I think it will take more than 2 years to complete the loop.
If you keep returning to A, that is double the time with no progress.

Dock fees and fuel costs will eat you alive. Then there is the scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.

The crew?? Two young ladies.... Their lives will change, as they mature, and may want to leave, return home to socialize or go off on another adventure. They are not unpaid indentured servants. I am not so sure the parents, of the granddaughter, will be pleased to have their daughter going off for years.
Home schooling is a very real possibility, if one of you satisfy the requirements.

Last edited:
Not judging here. Just skeptical with all the scams out there. When taking on a boat, the maintenance alone runs into the thousands of dollars a year. Who is going to support that? Is it fair to expect the congregation to support the cost of maintaining such an endeavor for a select few? Ie: fuel, dockage, washing, painting, waxing, engine maintenance, fluid changes, leaking heads that need to be replaced, food, water, extra impellers, hoses, canvas repairs, bottom paint and monthly diver costs, replacing zincs and this is just a short list. We all know the costs that go into fixing and maintaining a boat. The list goes on.

Hi thorhooked:

Don't be dismayed by the negative answers and comments coming from this thread. You're doing a great thing and your heart is in the right place. You need to forgive these people and ignore them.

I understand where you're coming from and what you're trying to accomplish. My wife and I have similar aspirations when we retire. Currently we are in full-time pastoral ministry and have been for the past 34 years; and we have done extensive missionary work in the Caribbean and Central & South America.

We have brought teams of workers and helpers to many different countries in these areas to help, churches, schools, pastors, campgrounds, etc. We have also done lots of hurricane relief work and helped in these areas too. It has been a very rewarding life!

I also have a similar background as you, I too am a former diesel mechanic, welder, commercial fisherman, and my boating experience, and different my skill sets are varied and extensive also.

As a personal note, we purchased a 36' Grand Banks Classic Trawler that we plan on using for ministry when we retire and after owning it for a year, we realize that its probably NOT going to be big enough for our vision. So we are looking for something 48' or bigger. We also set up a 501-c3 non-profit organization with a board of directors made up of some great business men to help guide us in this ministry when we retire.

Just as an FYI, I have a friend in Maine who has been a very successful general contractor that bought a 80' motor yacht and does exactly the same thing as you want to do with your future boat. They keep their boat in the Bahamas and He invites pastors, missionaries, and other ministry related folks to come and stay on their yacht for a week at a time, and enjoy some R & R and spiritual renewal. This is all for free too. Of course, they have to work around hurricane season just as you do winter on the loop.

Those of us in ministry know that the average pastor in America is not well paid and works another job to make ends meet. He's also not on TV, doesn't have any published books or movies. They are pastors of a church that averages about 50 on Sunday mornings. Therefore they could hardly afford a retreat like this. As you know, I'm not knocking those that God has chosen to have a more public and larger ministry, I'm just saying that the great majority of pastors struggle to make ends meet.

I say all of this as an encouragement to you. You're doing great thing. I'd love to spend a week on your boat, somewhere on the loop, in our beautiful land and enjoy the creation! I get it. How it gets paid for is nobody's business. And you and I both know that there are lots of people who give away boats, cars, houses, planes and other things of value to many different charities around the world. I hear of it and see it all the time. I'm also a licensed yacht broker in Florida, working with a reputable company, so I speak from real knowledge and experience.

God bless you and your family and keep up the vision!!!

This is meant as personal message to thorhooked and to my friends here on the Trawler Forum, unless you have a positive response, please keep it to yourself and let's all stay nice and friendly and positive to another and treat people as you would like to be treated.

Hi thorhooked:

Don't be dismayed by the negative answers and comments coming from this thread. You're doing a great thing and your heart is in the right place. You need to forgive these people and ignore them.

I understand where you're coming from and what you're trying to accomplish. My wife and I have similar aspirations when we retire. Currently we are in full-time pastoral ministry and have been for the past 34 years; and we have done extensive missionary work in the Caribbean and Central & South America.

We have brought teams of workers and helpers to many different countries in these areas to help, churches, schools, pastors, campgrounds, etc. We have also done lots of hurricane relief work and helped in these areas too. It has been a very rewarding life!

I also have a similar background as you, I too am a former diesel mechanic, welder, commercial fisherman, and my boating experience, and different my skill sets are varied and extensive also.

As a personal note, we purchased a 36' Grand Banks Classic Trawler that we plan on using for ministry when we retire and after owning it for a year, we realize that its probably NOT going to be big enough for our vision. So we are looking for something 48' or bigger. We also set up a 501-c3 non-profit organization with a board of directors made up of some great business men to help guide us in this ministry when we retire.

Just as an FYI, I have a friend in Maine who has been a very successful general contractor that bought a 80' motor yacht and does exactly the same thing as you want to do with your future boat. They keep their boat in the Bahamas and He invites pastors, missionaries, and other ministry related folks to come and stay on their yacht for a week at a time, and enjoy some R & R and spiritual renewal. This is all for free too. Of course, they have to work around hurricane season just as you do winter on the loop.

Those of us in ministry know that the average pastor in America is not well paid and works another job to make ends meet. He's also not on TV, doesn't have any published books or movies. They are pastors of a church that averages about 50 on Sunday mornings. Therefore they could hardly afford a retreat like this. As you know, I'm not knocking those that God has chosen to have a more public and larger ministry, I'm just saying that the great majority of pastors struggle to make ends meet.

I say all of this as an encouragement to you. You're doing great thing. I'd love to spend a week on your boat, somewhere on the loop, in our beautiful land and enjoy the creation! I get it. How it gets paid for is nobody's business. And you and I both know that there are lots of people who give away boats, cars, houses, planes and other things of value to many different charities around the world. I hear of it and see it all the time. I'm also a licensed yacht broker in Florida, working with a reputable company, so I speak from real knowledge and experience.

God bless you and your family and keep up the vision!!!

This is meant as personal message to thorhooked and to my friends here on the Trawler Forum, unless you have a positive response, please keep it to yourself and let's all stay nice and friendly and positive to another and treat people as you would like to be treated.

Thanks well said

Be careful when ferrying supplies to shore.
I know of one couple who accepted hurricane relief supplies from a 'disabled' larger boat, anchored off shore, with the innocent intentions to ferry relief supplies to shore. The mistake they made was not having the necessary paper work. The police decided to arrest the couple, they spent the night in the police station. They were fined a fair amount of money and the court would only accept cash. Not to worry, the Police drove them around to the various ATMs so they could get enough cash to pay the fine.
Wasn't that considerate of the police?
The lesson to learn is, even though your intentions are honorable, make sure you have the necessary, required paper work. Make a trip to shore unladen to find out what paper work is necessary to bring in the relief supplies.

Last edited:
So back to the boat.... There are a lot of boats that I’m not familiar with, but I don’t know of a design that seems like would suit your purpose in that price range. I think you may need to look in the 50+ size range to get three decent sized cabins and the privacy that you would need.

Hey, IC - that's cool of you to provide that link. Probably be a very serviceable boat for Thor's "loop needs" apparent. But... he better know how to handle and care for that pretty ol' baby! :thumb:

Doesn't meet his basic requirements of three staterooms. Doesn't meet his price range of $95k.

Doesn't meet his basic requirements of three staterooms. Doesn't meet his price range of $95k.

BB... Ya gotta start somewhere... make an offer Thor. You can work out accommodations on a boat that size.

However, and seriously... in addition to your other items of knowledge and background you mentioned in previous posts... GOD, knows - you better be really good at wood working too; or else, chalk this pretty ol' woody pleasure boat right off your list!

Good luck finding what you want and doing as you plan!

Amen :thumb: :D

BB... Ya gotta start somewhere... make an offer Thor. You can work out accommodations on a boat that size.

However, and seriously... in addition to your other items of knowledge and background you mentioned in previous posts... GOD, knows - you better be really good at wood working too; or else, chalk this pretty ol' woody pleasure boat right off your list!

Good luck finding what you want and doing as you plan!

Amen :thumb: :D

Someone posts their requirements, I try to only make suggestions that meet those requirements or tell the person it's impossible and they need to modify their requirements.

Someone posts their requirements, I try to only make suggestions that meet those requirements or tell the person it's impossible and they need to modify their requirements.

You recall Sgt. Joe Friday on TV show "Dragnet" "Facts Ma'am... just the facts!" LOL

Wanted: Trawler, lightly used dependable, 40 to 50 foot long with max bridge clearance of not over 19 feet.

The trawler will be used for Ministerial work while traveling the Great Loop. Must be large enough to accommodate a crew of 4 and 2 guest. Using it for a Sabbatical Retreat facility for Clergy as we travel from port to port on the Great Loop. Offering Pastors and Ministerial Staff a place for prayer, worship, study, meditation and relaxation.
We have a 43 foot 1983 Ocean Alexander Trawler, fully redone and beautiful. Perfect live-aboard! We have just moved off the water and for medical reasons have to sell our Trawler. She has been reduced to $99,900 from $126,900 for a quick sale. Call for details --- 941-833-9181

I don't check in on Trawler Forums very often and reading this thread reminds me of why.

So the OP's big sin was that in post #1, he stated what he wanted to do with his trawler.

Several years ago, I had a minister contact me from BC and he wanted a trawler for ministerial work in Central America. I sold him a boat that was in Newfoundland. Once he got to Central America, he started a website with pictures of his ministering to locals in areas not easily accessible by land. His crew was his wife and 2 children (maybe 10 & 12?). While I was skeptical of his goals, I would occasionally check his website and I gotta tell you, I was impressed with his success in meeting his goals. We never discussed religion, just finding an appropriate boat for his purpose. Not sure the OP deserved getting 5 pages of mostly unrelated responses to his request for help from this group.

Tough group here. Surprising and disappointing.

Judy

Sounds like Thorhooked has a plan and has skills that will be valuable. If he is not careful he might find himself coming home with more money than he left with. Boats break and it seems like he might be able to fix most mechanical failures. From the start of this thread it seems that he "will have about $95K". Is he selling his house in Galveston and using the proceeds to begin the trip? He seems to have been planning this trip for several years and one should wish him luck. There are shipyards and marinas along the way, many of which need good diesel mechanics, so he should be able to offer his services to those he wishes to help and still be able to work his way around the loop. I wish him fair winds and smooth seas.

Wanted: Trawler, lightly used dependable, 40 to 50 foot long with max bridge clearance of not over 19 feet.

The trawler will be used for Ministerial work while traveling the Great Loop. Must be large enough to accommodate a crew of 4 and 2 guest. Using it for a Sabbatical Retreat facility for Clergy as we travel from port to port on the Great Loop. Offering Pastors and Ministerial Staff a place for prayer, worship, study, meditation and relaxation.
Hello
I have a "De Fever 48 " , 1982 Totally rebuilt 2010
new engines cummins 500hp, 450hours, power plant, shaft, propellers,
a/a, water maker, stabilizers, many new extras, excellent price and mind
condition ready to navegate : more info email : m.navarro.sosa@gmail.com

95k, you find the boat you want at that price point and it will be a miracle.

I have a 2001 53' Selene with Twin 220 John Deere engines with low hours, Bow Truster,12KW Gen , Loaded , clean and ready to go. Arch will lay down to clear 19' . Ask is $595,000 but will present offers . Capt Chitwood 941 383 5232 (Sarasota Florida)

The guy has a dream.....shocking in a boater!

Not my dream (or perhaps yours) but why is it necessary to dump on it?

I’m with others who are a bit taken aback by some of the responses to this thread.

Good luck, Thor.

Hey Fletch Baby, the man simply stated what he wants to use the boat for. No different than for fishing, towing, selling tacos, etc. It helps with the blog to know what he is using it for. Where are you from Fletch?.... Oh, I see.... So Cal. I get it now.

Very well put NorWyn. Best of luck to you Thor and safe travels in whatever boat you find.

Sam

Last edited:
Thor...……….Look for a 42' Grand Banks....two bedrooms, two baths...…….Let your daughter and granddaughter sleep in the salon when guests are aboard. Older 42' GB's can be had for around $60K in pretty good and seaworthy condition. Good luck with your plan.

A forum like this is to share opinions and experience. The OP explained his plan and people gave feedback on his plan. That is the essence of an internet forum. Are people supposed to only give positive feedback so the OP's feelings don't get hurt ?

If I asked what kind of row boat should I use to row to Bermuda, should everyone just recomend a nice row boat and wish me luck ???

If people think his plan is not a good one, they should say so....and many have done just that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom