40' to 50' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thorhooked

Wanted: Trawler, lightly used dependable, 40 to 50 foot long with max bridge clearance of not over 19 feet.

The trawler will be used for Ministerial work while traveling the Great Loop. Must be large enough to accommodate a crew of 4 and 2 guest. Using it for a Sabbatical Retreat facility for Clergy as we travel from port to port on the Great Loop. Offering Pastors and Ministerial Staff a place for prayer, worship, study, meditation and relaxation.

Wanted: Trawler, lightly used dependable, 40 to 50 foot long with max bridge clearance of not over 19 feet.

The trawler will be used for Ministerial work while traveling the Great Loop. Must be large enough to accommodate a crew of 4 and 2 guest. Using it for a Sabbatical Retreat facility for Clergy as we travel from port to port on the Great Loop. Offering Pastors and Ministerial Staff a place for prayer, worship, study, meditation and relaxation.

Welcome.

My guess is you will be needing to look at the upper end of your size range if you are looking for comfortable accommodations for 6. A lot will depend on who your 4 crew are. I'm guessing husband/wife and 2 kids? If so, then that will take two cabins. If you are looking for guest accommodations for a couple, that is a bit different than guest accommodations for two singles.

My 45 Jefferson is for sale, forward cabin with split bunks, queen aft ,and foldout couch in salon. Dinnet drops for more. located Ft Lauderdale, loop ready. Have a blessed day.

Is this for real?

Thorhook,

I suppose we shouldn't expect much better treatment, aye? . Historically, Christ (whether one believes he was the savior or not), was crucified by the world much the same. Matt 5:10.

The crew will consist of myself, my wife, my daughter and granddaughter. Plans are to use the largest cabin as guest accommodations, the V-Birth for the daughter and granddaughter and the remaining cabin for my wife and me.

Welcome.

My guess is you will be needing to look at the upper end of your size range if you are looking for comfortable accommodations for 6. A lot will depend on who your 4 crew are. I'm guessing husband/wife and 2 kids? If so, then that will take two cabins. If you are looking for guest accommodations for a couple, that is a bit different than guest accommodations for two singles.
The crew will consist of myself, my wife, our daughter and 8 year old granddaughter. Our
plans are to use the largest accommodations for our guest. The V-Birth for our daughter and granddaughter then the remaining cabin for the wife and me. So at least cabins would be necessary.

Brilliant!! The entire cost of the loop will be a write off !!
Wasn't exactly looking at this form a "Write Off" stand point, more from a Ministerial stand point. Really more from the aspect of a water based facility where we as a Christian family could give back to and share some of the many blessing God has so abundantly blessed us with. A Ministry by which we can bless those who God has called and has been using to spread the Gospel through.

That’s pretty cool though. A worship service on the water.
Really more a "On the Water Sabbatical Facility" for Clergy. Traveling the ICW can be (for the most part) quit relaxing and give Clergy a place to relax, unwind and reconnect with there first love Jesus Christ.

My 45 Jefferson is for sale, forward cabin with split bunks, queen aft ,and foldout couch in salon. Dinnet drops for more. located Ft Lauderdale, loop ready. Have a blessed day.
Thank you for the update. A 45' Jefferson would be great if it were just the wife and me but with my daughter, granddaughter and 2 guest 45' would get a bit crowded.
Blessings to you also.

Is this for real?
Yes, we are truly looking for a 40 to 50 foot trawler to do The Great Loop in. Our intent is to, along the way, invite Clergy and/or Ministerial couples to join us for a week or two on this great adventure as a Sabbatical for them. Allowing them to get away from the day to day grind, reconnect and draw nearer to God without the day to day interruptions while doing God's work. Yes, this is very much for real search for a trawler large enough to meet our needs for this Ministry.

Blessings

Thank you for the update. A 45' Jefferson would be great if it were just the wife and me but with my daughter, granddaughter and 2 guest 45' would get a bit crowded.
Blessings to you also.

Which brings us to your $95,000 price range. For instance, whether seriously or facetiously mentioned above, you're not going to get a Fleming 65 for that amount. As to what you're doing, not really as relevant as is the fact you need accommodations for 6. I'm not at all grasping how you're going to do the loop and host guests at various ports and still complete the loop in season. Perhaps those you host will stay with you until the next port. Have you studied the loop so you have a good understanding of it? For three staterooms, you will need to be at the upper end of your size range you mentioned or above.

What is your boating experience and your mechanical ability?

Thorhook,

I suppose we shouldn't expect much better treatment, aye? . Historically, Christ (whether one believes he was the savior or not), was crucified by the world much the same. Matt 5:10.
For some reason I'm beginning to get the impression that some of these folks got the impression I was looking for a "Free Trawler". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Would I turn one down, of course not if it were a trawler that met our needs. If this ministry is what God intends for me to do, know beyond a shadow of a doubt He has the power to provide us with the trawler we need. That doesn't mean that I'm not supposed to do my due diligence and look for a Trawler. I find it somewhat humorous that I posted a search on Trawler Forum for a 40 to 50 foot trawler to do the Great Loop. How many thousands of times has this been done on Trawler Forum? But because I mentioned what I intended to do with it some people evidently got the wrong impression as to me looking for one for free. Perhaps I should have been clearer about what God has called me to do.

God Bless

Wasn't exactly looking at this form a "Write Off" stand point, more from a Ministerial stand point. Really more from the aspect of a water based facility where we as a Christian family could give back to and share some of the many blessing God has so abundantly blessed us with. A Ministry by which we can bless those who God has called and has been using to spread the Gospel through.

Well you should incorporate yourself as a 503(c) corporation ( charitable ) and I think all of your expenses would be "business expenses". I think you can show a loss for 3 years upon start up of a new business, so as long as you complete the loop in 3 years, you are all set!! Mysterious ways, indeed !!

Has anyone mentioned ThorHooked's experience operating 50' boats? Unless he has a bunch of experience, good weather, calm seas, it may not be idyllic for the other clergy.

The crew will consist of myself, my wife, my daughter and granddaughter. Plans are to use the largest cabin as guest accommodations, the V-Birth for the daughter and granddaughter and the remaining cabin for my wife and me.

I understand your idea and the concept is fine. However, I think there is likely to be a big mis-match between the boat that you can afford and the boat that will accomplish what you want.

It is of course possible to cram 5 adults and one child onto a 40’ boat. My wife and I spend a week with the two of us and 3 adult children on our 43’ boat. It is a lot of fun, but I wouldn’t consider it a “relaxing” experience. More of a camping outing.

You would need three decent cabins so that your guests are comfortable enough for the respite that you envision. This will mean a bigger boat I’m afraid.

Greetings,
Mr. ss. Perhaps our Mr. thor is of the mind that one catches more fish trolling/trawling than when anchored.

Curious...would you be offering these rides for free, or would those coming aboard have monies available to them for sabbaticals? Is this an ‘industry’ of sorts? Would the vessel need commercial insurance? Do you have a Captains license?

That’s pretty cool though. A worship service on the water.

When I was a little girl I attended church on a houseboat. The minister was a Shriner too and a magician. Because I learned the books of the bible in order he was teaching me how to eat fire. Okay, actually it was how not to swallow the nasty chemicals that protect your mouth.

Then we left or he died or something... it's been too many years to remember. I believe his name was Ira Levy... it's been a long time.

And often there are boats spreading the word.

That said, thor's initial query would lead many of us to conclude he was seeking a free boat. That's been done/requested FAR MORE than he can imagine. Just because you have a good cause (taking medical supplies to south America or was it Haiti? last time as I recall)

Well, the skeptics among us would quite naturally suspect someone is looking for a free boat. That is experience -- not necessarily related to thor however it does directly mimic previous incarnations of similar requests...

Legitimate questions as to thor's experience have been raised. And frankly running a boat is NOT RELAXING.

I wish you well thor. It's a mighty task you seek to fulfill. Good luck.

Curious...would you be offering these rides for free, or would those coming aboard have monies available to them for sabbaticals? Is this an ‘industry’ of sorts? Would the vessel need commercial insurance? Do you have a Captains license?

You raise a good point. At what point would someone need a captains license? Not for taking folks out for a cruise, but if money is involved then likely. Even if it was being operated as a non-profit, I could see them needing a captains license.

For some reason I'm beginning to get the impression that some of these folks got the impression I was looking for a "Free Trawler". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Would I turn one down, of course not if it were a trawler that met our needs. If this ministry is what God intends for me to do, know beyond a shadow of a doubt He has the power to provide us with the trawler we need. That doesn't mean that I'm not supposed to do my due diligence and look for a Trawler. I find it somewhat humorous that I posted a search on Trawler Forum for a 40 to 50 foot trawler to do the Great Loop. How many thousands of times has this been done on Trawler Forum? But because I mentioned what I intended to do with it some people evidently got the wrong impression as to me looking for one for free. Perhaps I should have been clearer about what God has called me to do.

God Bless

Let's be clear on a couple of things. I asked about your experience and you ignored me, now many others have asked the same.

You also gave no indication at all as to spending money and only after asked you disclosed a $95k budget which is challenging.

And, if the sole purpose was your ministry you wouldn't be buying a boat. You're talking boat to provide your family a great trip and vacation. The fact you're also doing ministry doesn't change that. You don't spend money on a boat to minister to people easily reached by land and the size boat you're talking about will not be a special retreat for ministers.

You also haven't addressed the logistics at all. You can't enter the Erie Canal until Mid may and must leave Chicago by mid September. That doesn't leave a lot of time for ministry in between. You also deal with the same short seasons everywhere except Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi. I did ask your knowledge of the loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go B!

Who's going to take the wheel when the weather gets rough?

That anglican mission boat mentioned earlier has 6' draft which at times will be leaving a mud wake on the loop. It also does not have the required guest rooms for you and your family, plus visitors.

You said that you planned to take 2 years to loop, but the loop is a spring, summer, fall, and get back to FL before it gets too cold deal. How does two years work into your planning? Leave the boat in the northeast, or stay aboard the boat through the winter? If staying aboard, you'll have to have heat and insulation (aka a northern boat) as well as A/C for hot days down south in the spring, summer and early fall days.

Where would you plan to winter over, The Great Lakes? Perhaps haul out for the frozen months and do something else in the meantime? Ask anyone who has lived aboard a boat in the winter, in northern states, with icing on everything, docks, boats, and it is anything but idyllic.

The bigger a boat gets, the draft usually gets deeper too. While the design depth of the ICW is fairly deep 12'-14', there are many places where it is under 6' which is why many Loop postings recommending less than 5' draft for a good loop boat.

Even planing hull boats draw water when you're not on plane, and there are many slow areas of the loop, to prevent shoreline erosion, so you can't plan on getting up on plane and skimming across the shallow water.

Assuming you take on passengers and motor for a week or two, how do they get back home? Uber?

If this guy is for real, he has not thought this through.
$90K for a 3 stateroom, loop ready boat? We'd all like one of those.
Is he going to tie up at the fuel dock until his tanks are magically filled?
Marina fees? Yes, the ICW can be run at night if one is both skilled and experienced but, after a while, everyone needs a rest. Plus, he will need to stop, preach and make contact with the local ministers' for the next leg of the loop.
Maintenance? No discussion of his skill and experience. The boat/mechanical/ electronics and other ship's systems will magically never need maintenance/upgrading?
Boating skills? I suspect, little or none. A lot of folks buy a boat and learn as they go but they usually start with a smaller boat and make steps up to larger boats over time.
Navigation skill? Sure, can learn that by reading and practicing.
The need for a licensed Captain for maybe a week or three of intensive instruction and experience, in the confined ICW. This would be for the entire family for they will all take a turn at the helm, running and performing the necessary maintenance every day.

Which brings us to your $95,000 price range. For instance, whether seriously or facetiously mentioned above, you're not going to get a Fleming 65 for that amount. As to what you're doing, not really as relevant as is the fact you need accommodations for 6. I'm not at all grasping how you're going to do the loop and host guests at various ports and still complete the loop in season. Perhaps those you host will stay with you until the next port. Have you studied the loop so you have a good understanding of it? For three staterooms, you will need to be at the upper end of your size range you mentioned or above.

What is your boating experience and your mechanical ability?
BrandB,

Thank you for your concerns, the questions you ask are truly things one should consider before taking off on such a trip. Please allow me to take a moment of your time and try and address each of your concerns individually.

As to the $95,000.00 price range, I had to begin somewhere, that seemed like a good number at the time. The Fleming 65 was a boat someone on Trawler Forum suggested not necessarily one I would choose or am specifically looking for.

As for how we plan to accomplish hosting our guests and doing the loop in a season, you hit the nail on the head. We will, as reservations are made, choose a tentative port and a tentative date to pick them up at the same time we will set a tentative port and tentative date to drop them off. The amount of time they for their sabbatical will depend on the length of time they will be onboard and the distance we will travel. The key word here is “Tentative”, anyone who has traveled very much on the ICW are any other major waterway, will tell you setting a hard-fast schedule will get you in serious trouble. Weather is a constant and can be a deadly factor. As you surely will agree, in many instances one will need to wait for “Weather Windows” to make some open water crossings or sometime just to leave the dock period. Waiting on weather can and will determine distance traveled and destinations will change.

As for studying the loop, we have spent the past 10 plus years studying the loop. Reading everything we can get our hands on and visiting in person with many couples who have successfully completed the loop. We are also members of the ALGCA.

As for boating experience we have been members of Galveston Bay Sail and Power Squadron for the past 10 years. We both have this year completed the course, passed the test and received our OUPV/Six Pack License.

As for mechanical ability. I am a certified diesel mechanic, certified in Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit truck and heavy equipment diesels. Although these certifications are not for marine diesels, a diesel engine is a diesel engine, each brand has it’s own idiosyncrasies which are brand specific. Haven’t spent much time working on Ford Lehman, John Deere, Volvo Penta, Yanmar or Kubota, but unless the boat has been recently repowered it probably will not have a Yanmar or Kubota in it. I have an extensive background in diesel powered AC generators. Am proficient in AC/DC electrical and electronics with certification in Marine Electrical and Electronics from the United States Power Squadron. I am also quite competent in hydraulic applications, plumbing, be it fuel, waste water or potable water. I’ve spent the past few years manufacturing custom Stainless-Steel fuel tanks for everything from trawlers to towboat to ferryboats.
We feel that God has spent many years preparing us for this ministry. We both feel quite comfortable with the skills and knowledge God had blessed us with to undertake such a mission.

Blessings

I do believe that many of you are missing the point. It sounds as if this is his personal money and he is trying to give back/pay it forward as a ministry, not as a way to profit as some suppose. Perhaps along the way he and his wife could enjoy the experiences and building relationships. As believers we are not called to foolishly give all of our money and resources to charity, but to be good stewards of what we are given. Our best to you Thorhooked!

Back
Top Bottom