Decisions..2007 Yamaha 2 stroke or 2018 Tohatsu 4 stroke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Archie,
I think my 6hp Johnson and 8hp Yamaha are both very close to 60lbs.

Agree.
To the OP
My vote would be a new four stroke. My size limit based on what I could carry, and what my wife could pull start.
Other food for thought. A 25 hp 2 stroke will go through a 6 gal tank PDQ. Who needs the hassle of lugging fuel tanks around and mixing oil?

Last edited:
FWIW, I have just gone through this. We needed to repower our 10' RIB. We had a 15 hp Yamaha. which worked very well on the boat but eventually developed some pretty terminal issues. So the hunt was on for a new engine.

I liked the simplicity of two strokes and as weight was a big factor, I steered away from four strokes. I finally settled on a 15HP US Mercury model over another Yamme, mainly because it was a little lighter and also it has the gear change on the tiller handle. This is a really handy thing to have. Also I have found the Merc is better just running around on idle than the Yamme was.

LOVE my 2008 Yam 25 2.strk !!
Seems like good price on yours, but not up on pricing. My Yammer has been trble.free, burn only non-oxy 91, NEVER cheap out and buy the low.grade ethanol crap! With the money you save you can put on a SS prop, $250. Like mine alot.
Go for the Yamaha !!

I have a 2005 25 hp Yamaha 2 stroke and a 2017 efi 20 hp Suzuki.

The Yamaha has way more power, Can get on plane with extra people on board, pull a knee boarder, etc.. can lay down and be stored in any position. Needs spark plugs and carb cleaned every year.

The Suzuki has less power, need to store certain ways or sides, less maintenance, clean, idles way better.

If you need power to carry extra weight or pull water sports, then get the Yamaha, other wise the 4 stroke is easier, cleaner.

Good Luck!!

Re: 25 Yam, was also able to get our West Marine Rib5 on plane w 4 people, no prob; just as a test.
Our dinghy works best as a 2.seater, too crowded w 4

yamaha 2 stroke

I am 99% sure you have the weights reversed. In any case I like the yamaha and you should be able to negotiate a little better price, say 1800 max.
Good luck on the loop.

Weights are correct. 15 and 20 hp 4 strokes are light, (its a 15 hp tuned up) when you jump to 25hp, 4 strokes are heavier.

I was having a hard time with the fact that you show Yamaha as being heavier than the Tohatsu and looked it up - the specs show the Tohatsu at 115 lbs for the short shaft and the 25 Yamaha short shaft at 60 lbs. If weight is an issue you might want to check those specs out again.

no way a yammi 25 is 60 lbs. The best in class Mer 15 2 st is 74 lbs.

Looks like you'll get opinions both ways so I'll throw one in. I'd definitely go 4-stroke because i'd never want the extra noise, smoke (even if it is just at startup), and oil mix hassle of a 2-stroke.
i have a 4-stroke 15hp on about the same size RIB and as others have said, 20hp is likely more than you need. Our 15 hp goes almost uncomfortably fast as is.... If i had to buy another motor I'd probably drop down to the 10 hp range or start thinking about a Torqueedo....

Well I went with the 2 stroke 25HP Yamaha for $1850. My reasoning....... I can fix it if it breaks. usually just a dirty carb or needs spark plugs. The 4 stroke is more complicated design the may require special knowledge and computers to repair and diagnose. I Like simple. Also considering cost of ownership after a few years the Yamaha will depreciate much less and perhaps go up in value where as the new Tohatsu will most probably go down on value.

Tohatsu

Go for the 4. Cleaner, quieter, more power for loads, less speed - but who's racing - it's a tender, not a racer. Don't buy more weight than you really need.

I replaced a 25hp Honda that was nothing but trouble with a new '06 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke with electric & manual start. It is without a doubt the best outboard motor I have ever owned. 100-1 oil mix & very fuel efficient. The motor weighs 111 lbs & has been extremely reliable.

Same motor that I just bought except a 2008.

I would have chosen the two stroke and taken the fuel consumption hit for reliability and self service and self diagnose too. I'd run 50:1 oil. I'm a current auto electrical mechanic. Another 10 years and the 4 strokes might be there for me & my transportable boat scene.

Reliability lies in the ability to make your own repairs on systems when they break. And they will break. Usually when and where there are no repair services available or they're so expensive it doesn't make sense. So that's the main reason I choose the 2 stroke, its easy to diagnosis and repair. I too run 50:1 ratio even though the Yamaha 25HP calls for 100:1. I think it's just safer and adds to the longevity of the motor.

I think doubling the amount of oil is a mistake. The plugs will foul quicker, there will be more carbon build up which will actually reduce the life of the motor and there will be less complete combustion which means you'll end up dumping more unburnt oil & gas into the water. Yamaha would not spec 100-1 if it wasn't what was best for the motor. I have a lot of hours on my '06 motor at 100-1 & I've had no problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom