View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #166
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Continuing along the "service" aspect. Couple o' glitches I foresee...

1. Standing on the platform you could get to front and at least 2/3rd back on sides of engines... but for rear of sides' 1/3 and back of engine - use a boat I guess. Maybe pull so close to floating dock that engines nearly touch. If so better hope not too much wake disturbance for either technique. Little chance for sitting on a firmly placed stool to perform operations.
2. Woops... I dropped the starter, or wrench, or compression gauge, or you name it. Good thing there's only about 10' water here. Hope it did not sink in the silt/mud!
3. Does the o/b lift high enough to be out of the water when docked? If not - we all know what happens to aluminum o/b housing!
4. LOA. Seems that with o/b's lifted out of water and their big size creating extra length the LOA of a boat could increase by several feet. Especially if long shafts were needed to get prop low enough in the water to be below boat's bottom - if that's necessary??!! Whole new set of rules [physics] regarding water turbulences, cavitation, water flow, reverse prop engagement by the smaller props. How big will the props be able to become on o/b's... I have no idea. Can they be big props geared down to turn slow compared to engine's power-packs rpm?

How heavy cantilevered off the rear will diesel o/b's with let's say 200 hp ea. need to be?

What happens in a really "pushy" following sea??

If drift wood gets run over... what's the outcome? Are o/b's likely to not only get prop damage but maybe entire lower unit too.

On a good note. Can trim up the engines for gunk holing without props getting into bottom contact.

Just wondering!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote