Sailing cruising routes vs motoring routes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcarthur

Vessel Name
Blu Emu
Vessel Make
Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
I've done a little coastal sailing, but no ocean work. But I know that the world sailing routes are well known and, for the most part, are there to make the best use of wind and tides.
But now I'm looking at moving to the dark side :rolleyes: and buying a power catamaran/trawler.

What's the go with trawlers/motor vessels doing long cruising - do they typically follow the same routes as the sailors , or do they often just go their own way?
Clearly there's advantages to going the usual routes - useful to keep in touch on a large ocean, and while wind isn't as much a problem it at least matches favourable waves. But it seems that motor vessels can otherwise take their own routes.

And what about times of the year for the routes - is it the same?
ie. often the time of leaving on a route is very much for favourable winds, yet as long as the winds aren't too high making waves worse, a trawler wouldn't worry if the wind is in the 90 degree from the destination.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. You might also read:
The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward
by Bruce Van Sant.

Thank you. I’ll hunt around for them (couldn’t download).

I'd say the weather and sea conditions are far more important than direction for power boats. Still power boats often tack to make conditions more comfortable, rather than to increase speed.

It also depends a lot on your boat design; some take following seas well, some don't. Fuel range is obviously a big consideration on long passages when planning routes.

Generally speaking, most ocean going trawlers would be waiting longer for a suitable weather window for a passage, in comparison to a good ocean going sailboat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom