Anyone rent your trawler using VRBO as a floating condo when you aren’t there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
I know it can be a great deal for people with cabins of lake houses. We could just lock all our crap in a few drawers and rent it. Just 1 week a month would totally cover our costs.

I know it’s not ideal, and it’s not going to be perfect, but that’s a lot of money.

Just wondering.

Have you ever rented out a house? Similar, but with more problems.

Have you ever rented out a house? Similar, but with more problems.

Yeah I’ve had several rentals for about 12 years, but those are longer term and a little different. I know several people who have lake and cabin houses that rent them when they aren’t there and have nothing but good things to say.

Way more problems than a house. People start effin' with the panels, pushing wrong buttons, and so on and so on. I'd demand the same vetting as a charter company does, and might, might do it only if it was in a charter fleet of a good operator.

I'd buy a non runner in beautiful shape for next to nothing as an investment property if I had cheap storage and a guarantee..

My own boat? No fuggin way.

I will say it again for the umpteenth time: renting your boat is commercial use and is not covered by your recreational boat insurance policy. This is unlike houses where there is at least limited coverage for renting.

If a renter were to sink your boat, you and he would be on the hook to raise and fix it, not your insurance company.

David

I will say it again for the umpteenth time: renting your boat is commercial use and is not covered by your recreational boat insurance policy. This is unlike houses where there is at least limited coverage for renting.

If a renter were to sink your boat, you and he would be on the hook to raise and fix it, not your insurance company.

David

So you’re saying I’m not the first one with this awesome idea?

Djmarchand only broke the surface of the commercial issue. Your slip is a commercial lease in most states and many marinas have subleasing requirements. Most cities have ordnance’s against hotels over water and then there is the coast guard issues. It’s been tried by many in Seattle. Some have flown under the radar, some have had there boats evicted with 5 day notices, some have ended up with big fines from the city and one is learning all about illegal charters from the coast guards point of view.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom