Galley trash can solution - Camano owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
Just curious what solution you all have come up with on a location for keeping trash on board, particularly in the galley area. I'm struggling with a location. Have any of you cut into a shelf or the counter and mounted a trash can underneath? Pics welcome!

My wife hangs a plastic grocery bag from the stove top. When she cooks she moves it. When it gets full she ties it shut, puts it in the cockpit and hangs another.

If it was up to me I would have mounted hooks to hold the bag somewhere else so I wouldn't have to move it to cook.

I'm thinking a logical spot is in the cabinet under the sliding drawer. If I cut a hole in the shelf to fit a trash can, it should rest nicely on the lower shelf and is still easily removed. Keeping the trash under the sink area is nice and out of the way. Or I might do something under-counter-mount with a hole in the counter and a lid. I'll post pictures if I end up doing anything.

The first thing I do is to strip off all of the packaging before going on board, re-bag or re-pack everything into ziplock or storage containers with moisture proof tops. You can eliminate 80% of your garbage with that one step. Food garbage goes over the side if it doesn't float.

You will be amazed at how much just eliminating your packaging does to shrink your garbage accumulation...

Good question! I've actually been putting my trash can w/liner in the hanging locker! But I don't keep clothes in there. It's kinda like my utility closet. When I move aboard fulltime in 2019 then I won't do that anymore. Lol. I don't have any pics to share. We are in a cold hell right now in Boston. 12 inches of snow last Thursday....

AKDoug: Excellent insight. That sounds like a great way to reduce trash onboard. Don't bring it onboard to begin with. I'll try that this year.

I also pre-portion and pre-freeze things that won't be eaten immediately so as to save power bringing the refrigerator and freezer to temperature. Every little bit counts along the way...

A good vacuum sealer with a jar adapter will get things under vacuum and keep them dry no matter what the conditions are. I carry my coffee and sugar (extra supply) in pint jars vacuum sealed.

We've been using a closable "Trash Sack" that hangs from the oven bar. Works very well for small and kitchen trash. For larger (non-stinky) stuff, we currently use a trash bug tucked in an unused corner.

https://www.trashsack.com

Ken

while granted i only have 2 days on the new boat, my plan is just a small kitchen size can on cockpit deck. used it on my last boat and figured i'd give it another shot. i just like keeping as much smelly stuff out of the living area as i can

toni

Jhance: What did you come up with for a trash can idea?

I ended up getting a small plastic container that fit the shelf under the sink and that's my trash can. It works pretty well and keeps the trash out of the way.

I ended up getting a small plastic container that fit the shelf under the sink and that's my trash can. It works pretty well and keeps the trash out of the way.

Im still looking for a good option. I was even thinking of putting a trash can in the storage hatch in the head below the portlight. I never knew how big it was in there! Plus you can vent the top and the window is right there too.

I've got these in the head cabinets.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Cabinet-Trashcan-Mountable-43961/dp/B001D8XA50

One is mounted on the inside door of one. The other has a shelf in the way, preventing on-door mounting, so I just used some 3M Command picture hanging strips (plastic velcro, basically) to hold it to the side of the cabinet. Downside to these is they're small and the two-piece nature of it is a bit fiddly when it gets close to full.

At home I use one of these for a wet bar area:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/simplehuman-reg-10-liter-in-cabinet-can/1041988916

I cut the hook off the top as I didn't want to have it hanging over the door lip. There's enough material there to allow screwing it into the cabinet door. Nice part is the lid is part of the frame, so it stays in place.

It likely won't apply to your boat, bout ours came with a shelf mounted midway up the galley cabinet under our sink. I just removed that shelf... and that made room for a normal household trashcan.

-Chris

It likely won't apply to your boat, bout ours came with a shelf mounted midway up the galley cabinet under our sink. I just removed that shelf... and that made room for a normal household trashcan.
My galley cabinet has a normal trashcan under it, along with a ledge/shelf on the bottom/inside of the cabinet door. Seems like there might have been some sort of door-mounted can there at some point in the past. Now just that shelf remains, poking into the available space in the cabinet. But it's oh-so-nicely varnished teak... so I've been hesitant to rip it out..

Likewise, all the other cabinets have adjustable shelves. The day head shelf is the only one that's fixed. And is likewise decorated with such a nice, pretty varnished teak face on it...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom