Who does NOT have a Dink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the way you think! I'm thinking of keeping my 9.5 Achilles with the Honda 2 for kid use and light duty. Might have a 14 yr old nephew joining me again this summer for a week. He'll have his own boat.[/QUOTE]

When the grandkids are along ( only on very short trips) I would prefer to switch to the row boat but with many hours of training they have graduated to the Avon

I am going to use mine for short jaunts out of the slip to rigs docked for service here. It tends to ride bow way up. Sitting on side pod seems like a recipe for MOB. What do you folks do for seating? I have one fiberglass that works if I am rowing, but makes steering with motor hard.

It depends on how you boat. (There is no WRONG way). If you spend all your time in marinas, then you might not want a dinghy. If you spend your time in moorings, you might be able to get away without one if you have launch service available. If you anchor, I would think you would need a dinghy.

We would lose our minds without the dinghy. It would be like having a summer house and no car. Most of our time on the boat is spent at anchor. It is how we visit our neighboring friends in the anchorage, get to the beach, get to shore (town), get ice, etc. We also like to explore in the dinghy. We go on dinghy rides for no reason other than its fun.

I am going to use mine for short jaunts out of the slip to rigs docked for service here. It tends to ride bow way up. Sitting on side pod seems like a recipe for MOB. What do you folks do for seating? I have one fiberglass that works if I am rowing, but makes steering with motor hard.

If it tends to run bow high you might trying putting the gas tank or at least some additional weight up front. We put a fin on the motor which also helped keep it on plane. Never, in over 40 years of boating, had a problem sitting on the side pod.

Ding.

Attachments

• OC1.jpg
    OC1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 54
We would not be without our inflatable. When we cruise the 1000 Islands in the summer there are several Liquor Stores that have dinghy docks but no large boat docks.

That alone would be reason enough to have a dink.

Ours is more schlong than dink.

This is ours. It’s a 3 person raft with a mount for an electric trolling motor. The battery is a small wheel chair deep cycle. It’ll go for hours at WOT, which is 3 MPH, which is honestly more than enough to run to a beach and back. I charge the battery once every few months.

The whole set up cost me less than $500 and I don’t have to deal with a heavy outboard and gas cans.

That being said, something like what Art has would be absolutely awesome.

Attachments

• 57B3B23D-EA98-4F90-83DF-0124378B4763.jpg
    57B3B23D-EA98-4F90-83DF-0124378B4763.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 43
This is ours. It’s a 3 person raft with a mount for an electric trolling motor. The battery is a small wheel chair deep cycle. It’ll go for hours at WOT, which is 3 MPH, which is honestly more than enough to run to a beach and back. I charge the battery once every few months.

The whole set up cost me less than $500 and I don’t have to deal with a heavy outboard and gas cans.

That being said, something like what Art has would be absolutely awesome.

Thanks, Steve for the thumbs up statement. Don't forget with one like ours it's a tow behind or side tie... depending on location/condition and size of the "Mother" boat.

When the grandkids are along ( only on very short trips) I would prefer to switch to the row boat but with many hours of training they have graduated to the Avon

Agreed. I have always had kids learn to row before taking Algae out with the trolling motor. Only once did a little boy kill the battery and have to be "rescued"

I do have children carry with them a waterproof floating hand-held VHF. Just in case!

The idea by Steve91T to use a wheelchair battery for a trolling motor was a new one for me. I've got a Group24 (it's the largest one that will tuck under the aft seat in Algae.

And Steve's right about costs. As long as you're not in a hurry a trolling motor is great.

In places where you're fighting a current though, well frankly I'm not so impressed. On the east coast it seems as though I could time out trips to have the push of current. Here, cross-current? Not so great.

And that is a direct result of buying the smallest least expensive Rated for Salt Water motor by Newport. It's a place out in California... I took mine apart -- stainless connections inside. Shaft is heavy gauge fiberglass.

And for $120, well, I'll spray corrosion stuff on the lower assembly semi-regularly. It still works after a few years so I'm happy. Cost per week is less than a dollar at this point so I've "won"

But if you were to offer me a quick ride to shore? Well, I'd be tempted. On the other hand Seaweed is small enough that I just take her to the dinghy dock.

SeaweedAtMcD's-24feb.jpg

Ostriman. Get yourself a length of PVC tubing and slip it over the tiller and you can still drive the boat and stand/sit forward to help the balance and maybe get it up on the plane.

A dink depends on where you cruise of course (and if you have dogs).
Cruising through the European canals they're a pain in the butt especially when passing through busy locks, we had an inflatable which despite a chain and lock some young guys stole in Spain, they forgot to open the vent cap on the gas tank, we got it back after a chase and they swam to the shore.
The same inflatable was stabbed by some other youngsters who thought it funny, the repair cost over 300$ and was never a good job so I disposed of it and swore never to have another.

Each person of course has their own opinion and I respect that different strokes for different folks.

Our dink is a 9ft Grumman Aluminum sailing dink.

We use oars 95% of the time (with Edson locks) and have not yet has it stolen.

For harbor sight seeing we either hoist the sail or use an electric trolling motor.

This pushes about the same speed as a 4hp outboard , but with far less hassle.

Another interesting question might be , who has no noisemaker on board?

We don't , with no crimp to our lifestyle , although we flee FL in the summer.

1975 Crestliner "Stinger" 14'8" tow behind or side tie "dink"

- 50 hp. 1975 Johnson [max rated hp. and sweet!]
- 4 comfort-cushioned seats
- Full canopy
- Manual-twist windshield wiper on pilot side
- 2 - 6 gal gas tanks
- Mechanically [bolt] adjustable trim tabs - - > get the tabs set into perfect position and locate perfect trim-set slide link position for motor ... then, leave em both alone from there on out for great planing and fun. I set these two trim conditions up first weekend we used her [took a couple hrs. experimenting]; haven't changed position of either in 8 yrs.!
- Plenty storage up front and under/alongside seats
- Non skid, easy clean original lino floor
- Full running lights
- 25 nmph gentle cruise with Linda and me
- GPS 39.8 nmph otg in slack tide with just me and couple gallons gas

We store her on trailer in our marina's fenced and locked outdoor area with full cover on all of boat and engine cowling. Launch her whenever we get chance to cruise/anchor out.

This is best size "dink" for us. Do lots of gunk-holing as well as visiting boater friends many miles away from where we anchor. Also go to different ports o' call in the SF Delta and dine at various restaurants. She'll easily and comfortably seat four adults and reach plane in seconds for fast ride. Fuel usage at 25 knots with just Linda and I [the way it is 95% of the time] is some where between 13 to 15 nmpg. One 6 gal gas tank lasts for 3 + hrs. with us two at 25 knots.

Owned this Crestliner for 8 yrs. In those 8 yrs.; spent a few hundred bucks for marina's resident mechanic's shop - new lower end seals, carb rebuild, new starter. I put in new batt and one used but good 6 gal metal gas tank; the other one sprang a moist-seep on lower seam.

Boats ["dinks"] such as this classic Crestliner Johnson o/b that are really in great shape can be found on Craigslist. To do so you need to check every AM early for that day's ad entry and then check that eve too. When you see one it is best to immediately make phone and email contact... with plan to go see it that eve or first thing next morning - cash in hand. These jewels usually don't last for more than a day; then pouf the ad and opportunity is gone. Prices range from low $1k's to mid $6K's. Almost always with trailer included. Some are a steal in great condition... some not so much. Buyer be ware!!

First three picts were in CL sales ad. Last one is us playing!

BTW - the ad was less than one hr. old when I called in eve. I was at the boat 100 miles away at 9 AM next morning. Owner told me there had been seven calls since mine and that he just knew from how I sounded on phone that I'd make my 9 AM appointment. He even mentioned that one caller had said he'd give him a $300 pump-up in price if he'd sell it to that caller. The owner was a great guy and let me know he would have called the $300 "bump-up" guy if I was not there by 10 AM. Gotta move fast with Ca$h in hand on deals such as this!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1954.jpg
    DSCN1954.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1955.jpg
    DSCN1955.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1959.jpg
    DSCN1959.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 23
  • WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
    WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
We often traveled with 3 dinghies all were inflatables and could never imagine traveling without at least one.

I usually carry an inflatable dink, but sometimes its deflated and packed away. I sometimes get by with a couple paddle boards. My wife has restocked the gin & tonic supply via her paddle board.

Sometimes a dink is not much use getting ashore. We anchor at a few spots where there the surf is too big to get the dinghy in without getting dumped. This was learned the hard way. The outboard didn't appreciate it.

- Full canopy
- 2 - 6 gal gas tanks
- Mechanically [bolt] adjustable trim tabs - - > get the tabs set into perfect position and locate perfect trim-set slide link position for motor ... then, leave em both alone from there on out for great planing and fun. I set these two trim conditions up first weekend we used her [took a couple hrs. experimenting]; haven't changed position of either in 8 yrs.!
- Full running lights

We store her on trailer in our marina's fenced and locked outdoor area with full cover on all of boat and engine cowling. Launch her whenever we get chance to cruise/anchor out.
!

That looks like such a fun boat for a dink!!!!

- Full canopy
- 2 - 6 gal gas tanks
- Full running lights

This is best size "dink" for us. Do lots of gunk-holing as well as visiting boater friends many miles away from where we anchor. Also go to different ports o' call in the SF Delta and dine at various restaurants. She'll easily and comfortably seat four adults and reach plane in seconds for fast ride. Fuel usage at 25 knots with just Linda and I [the way it is 95% of the time] is some where between 13 to 15 nmpg. One 6 gal gas tank lasts for 3 + hrs. with us two at 25 knots.

Owned this Crestliner for 8 yrs. In those 8 yrs.; spent a few hundred bucks for marina's resident mechanic's shop - new lower end seals, carb rebuild, new starter. I put in new batt and one used but good 6 gal metal gas tank; the other one sprang a moist-seep on lower seam.

Boats ["dinks"] such as this classic Crestliner Johnson o/b that are really in great shape can be found on Craigslist. To do so you need to check every AM early for that day's ad entry and then check that eve too. When you see one it is best to immediately make phone and email contact... with plan to go see it that eve or first thing next morning - cash in hand. These jewels usually don't last for more than a day; then pouf the ad and opportunity is gone. Prices range from low $1k's to mid $6K's. Almost always with trailer included. Some are a steal in great condition... some not so much. Buyer be ware!!

First three picts were in CL sales ad. Last one is us playing!

BTW - the ad was less than one hr. old when I called in eve. I was at the boat 100 miles away at 9 AM next morning. Owner told me there had been seven calls since mine and that he just knew from how I sounded on phone that I'd make my 9 AM appointment. He even mentioned that one caller had said he'd give him a $300 pump-up in price if he'd sell it to that caller. The owner was a great guy and let me know he would have called the $300 "bump-up" guy if I was not there by 10 AM. Gotta move fast with Ca$h in hand on deals such as this!!!

Hello Art,
Nice boat, here is a link to some of the original brochures and technical articles on your boat...
http://retrocrestliner.com/1962 crestliner catalog.pdf

FWIW - your engine has a gearcase ratio of 2.42:1 and a max rev of 5,500 rpm (5,000 recommended). The most aggressive prop available for that lower unit is 11-3/4 X 17 and the best typical slip angle on a boat/engine like that is about 10%.

Reactions: Art
Hello Art,
Nice boat, here is a link to some of the original brochures and technical articles on your boat...
http://retrocrestliner.com/1962%20crestliner%20catalog.pdf

FWIW - your engine has a gearcase ratio of 2.42:1 and a max rev of 5,500 rpm (5,000 recommended). The most aggressive prop available for that lower unit is 11-3/4 X 17 and the best typical slip angle on a boat/engine like that is about 10%.

Thanks, smitty. I've got that link in folder [even copied the brochure and placed that in same folder] It's always fun to review again. I'm still using the prop that came on the Johnson. Can't recall the numbers on prop. That baby hums along tooooo nicely [there's a spare prop under dash too] to change anything. Jumps up on plane in couple seconds. When traveling near WOT it's best to slow to about 2/3 throttle for making turns. Way I have [mechanically adjustable - by bolts] trim tabs "permanently" set and trim angle on engine set there is very little of flat portion of boat-bottom in stern area still touching water. So... in a turn at near or at WOT she skids/slides somewhat sideways over water... makes for a wide turn radius. Slowed down just a bit and her V-hull portion has chance to get in water again which enables a better turn capability. :thumb:

That ain't no dink! Where do you mount the outboard?

Old men use outboards.
I have five.

My favorite dinghy has 4hp.
After hours on TF I’d prolly be inclined to mount the 6hp though.

Last edited:
Thanks, smitty. I've got that link in folder [even copied the brochure and placed that in same folder] It's always fun to review again. I'm still using the prop that came on the Johnson. Can't recall the numbers on prop. That baby hums along tooooo nicely [there's a spare prop under dash too] to change anything. Jumps up on plane in couple seconds. When traveling near WOT it's best to slow to about 2/3 throttle for making turns. Way I have [mechanically adjustable - by bolts] trim tabs "permanently" set and trim angle on engine set there is very little of flat portion of boat-bottom in stern area still touching water. So... in a turn at near or at WOT she skids/slides somewhat sideways over water... makes for a wide turn radius. Slowed down just a bit and her V-hull portion has chance to get in water again which enables a better turn capability. :thumb:

Hello Art,
That brochure is one of about 100 articles that reside on the retrocrestiner site here....
Crestliner Boat Restorations, home page
It is an active site with many current listings of the older examples of Crestliners for sale under the tab for classifieds.
Under the catalog tab you can view dozens and dozens of original Crestliner adds and brochures by year along with their listed performance by boat size.
The data on the drive ratio/prop/rpm and slip along with these articles will allow you to calculate a better feeling for speed and mpg if you so desire.
Anyway - a large amount of original data and current owners on that site.

Hello Art,
That brochure is one of about 100 articles that reside on the retrocrestiner site here....
Crestliner Boat Restorations, home page
It is an active site with many current listings of the older examples of Crestliners for sale under the tab for classifieds.
Under the catalog tab you can view dozens and dozens of original Crestliner adds and brochures by year along with their listed performance by boat size.
The data on the drive ratio/prop/rpm and slip along with these articles will allow you to calculate a better feeling for speed and mpg if you so desire.
Anyway - a large amount of original data and current owners on that site.

GO - - > Classic Crestliner!! As tow behind dink that is! :dance: :D

I visited that link often after first purchasing our Crestliner Stinger... great info and background.

We essentially don’t have a dinhy.
We have this rubber duckie thing that’s a life boat.
In rare occasions (2 or 3 times) we’ve gone to the beach w it.
Mostly we just keep pumping it up not often enough.

Here is my 12’ row boat/outboard. Would love to have it w us but not sure I’m up to the hassel and I don’t want to loose this one.

I have a 10’ FG dinghy I could use and it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we lost it. Have a 4 or 6hp OB for either. Both of these dinghies would need to be towed. The 10’ is a demi-planing hull so may tow better. Tow testing will tell.

Attachments

• 2B1B9FD8-1FA7-4389-890E-4990207E6400.jpg
    2B1B9FD8-1FA7-4389-890E-4990207E6400.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
So let’s say someone is buying a 47’ Marine Trader sundeck and the dink storage on the rear hardtop says 1000 lbs capacity, does that mean any dink “small boat” under that is fair game?

So let’s say someone is buying a 47’ Marine Trader sundeck and the dink storage on the rear hardtop says 1000 lbs capacity, does that mean any dink “small boat” under that is fair game?

I would say "yes, but....".

If 1000 lbs is the max, the idea is that anything over that is pushing the limits of either the structure or the stability. I wouldn't want to be near the limit. Also keep in mind that the 1000 lbs would include anything you stick up on the hardtop, dink, motor, battery, fuel, gear, furniture, toys (kayak, paddle boards etc...).

I would say "yes, but....".

If 1000 lbs is the max, the idea is that anything over that is pushing the limits of either the structure or the stability. I wouldn't want to be near the limit. Also keep in mind that the 1000 lbs would include anything you stick up on the hardtop, dink, motor, battery, fuel, gear, furniture, toys (kayak, paddle boards etc...).

Art’s boat weighs somewhere around 650, so with gas it might getting close to that limit.

Well, some of us, not me, of course seem to be a little acccident prone. Like walking down the level driveway and winding up in ER with detached retina. Jut sayin’ folks might hit a wave and fall overboard. Not me, of course!

You could put our Crestliner having 50 hp. Johnson up there with correct hoist and tie down equipment.

Back
Top Bottom