Kohler Genset issue ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daviddraper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Andiamo
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Trawler
I have a new to me boat that just got salt water sprayed in the engine compartment due to a hose clamp breaking.
Since fixing that issue I've discovered my Kohler 8Kw genset is not producing power.
It starts fine, but no AC is being delivered.
The genset is contained within a soundbox, so I don't think saltwater actually got on it, but I could be wrong.
So ... can anyone give me advice on how to start troubleshooting why no power is coming from the unit? I have not debugged anything yet, just not getting power at the AC distribution panel.

Thanks to anyone who is able to respond. :)

Check the breaker on the genset and if it is not tripped, check if there is AC voltage on the breaker. If there is voltage on the breaker, the problem is upstream, e.g. transfer switch. If there is no voltage, it is likely a voltage regulator problem assuming the geset runs at the normal speed.

Your generator manual will have a troubleshooting section. Start there and let us know how you make out.
Btw. What model? Gas or diesel?
I don’t think the water leak and loss of generator output are tied together.

Last edited:
If a Kohler is not making power, it usually shuts down right after you let go of the start button, at least this is the case with older models.

So second that about checking the output breaker. May need to open the control box to do so.

Since fixing that issue I've discovered my Kohler 8Kw genset is not producing power.
It starts fine, but no AC is being delivered.
The genset is contained within a soundbox, so I don't think saltwater actually got on it, but I could be wrong.

What model number? If it's an 8EOZ, no need to open the sound shield. The circuit breakers are on a black box mounted on top left of the sound shield. The same box has the local start/stop switch and hour meter.

-Chris

What model number? If it's an 8EOZ, no need to open the sound shield. The circuit breakers are on a black box mounted on top left of the sound shield. The same box has the local start/stop switch and hour meter.

-Chris

To the OP - did the genset work OK before the hose burst?

So would the external black box be compromised by a salt water bath of unknown duration and intensity? What other ER space electrics could have been affected?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom