Spider Cracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molly

Vessel Name
La Bella Vita
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
I have some spider cracks around my fuel fill and other deck fittings. Someone told me about a product that "you just put it on" and the spider cracks go away. Was that the beer talking? Has anyone heard of such a wonder product?

Colored wax like that will make the cracks very hard to see for awhile. They're still there, just harder to see. A lot of beer consumed by the observer will also make the spider cracks disappear (or perhaps cause them to double).

Truly making them "go away" involves replacing the gel coat, and if you want to keep them away, reinforcing the underlying fiberglass. Flexing causes it, and the gel coat is more brittle than the fiberglass, so it cracks first.

Greetings,
Mr. S. I've used Capt. Tolly's with good results. It seals cracks and small leaks but does nothing for the appearance of same. The crack is still there but watertight. I had a couple of gauges on the flybridge that would fog up inside on a regular basis. Dried them out well and sealed the bezel with Tolly. No more fogging.

I also concur with Mr. DDW's comments and advice.

Last edited:
I will try it and post my results. Pix before and after.

Back
Top Bottom