Pairadice and ASD Columbia River Adventure 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys are going to be in the Tri Cities before I even take off from Portland. I can't wait.

The biggest enjoyment for us is meting up with TF members......But you gotta travel to meet up with those guys!

The Dalles to Arlington

If you could size this section of the trip it would be phrased as “PERFECT!”
However, that is not how it started. Our plan departure from The Dalles was 7 AM. John’s expert weather says it is to be a nice day with low winds. Then we looked at AIS. The locks at The Dalles dam had a traffic jam, all with hazardous loads which meant we could not lock with them. We called the lock and they told us to stay put at the dock and he would call us. So, when we saw the last tug exit the lock, we broke loose from the dock and hoovered in the river. At around 8:30 we got the call we had a green light at the lock. As we approached the lock, someone called in requesting wind speed at the top of the dam. The response was 22 mph. Oh crap!!
The bollards are a lot better at the Dalles, than at Bonneville. We also noticed the lock design was different. Now worries, we exited the locks and headed to the John Day Dam. We also had to go under a railroad bridge. GFC gave us a spreadsheet with all the locks and bridge call signs which helped a lot. Thanks Mike!

John’s weather prediction was awesome. No wind, nice 75f and little current.
The lock master for John Day instructed us to do a port tie on the Washington side of the lock. The reason was he could not see us in the lock on the stbd side. There is a funny story about Crusty’s response to the lock master’s instruction, but I will let the Navy guy tell it!

The approach to John Day was a little scary as the spillway is right next to the lock approach. We got hit hard by beam waves and current which put a few things on the floor. But once past I shot from 2kts to 8kts in a matter of feet! The lockage through John Day went smoothly for ASD, if fact it was easy. The boat was not jammed up against the wall. Not so for Pairadice. He got pinned and had to work hard to keep his boat off the wall. The lock master filled the lock fast! It was about a 15-20 minute which is a 100 ft + lift.

We made our way to Arlington under glass waters and nice sunshine. After all is said and done we traveled 54 miles but took us about 10 hours with the delays.

Arlington Marina is an awesome place. Moorage is free, electric is $10 a night. Yes the highway and railroad bridge is next to the marina, but it is a clean friendly place. Diesel is $2.69 a gallon here…..They have a few restaurants, hardware and grocery store. Because of weather, we will be hold up here for the next 3 days. I could think of worse places to be stuck!!

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 55
A few more

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1824.jpg
    IMG_1824.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 58
"The bollards are a lot better at the Dalles, than at Bonneville. We also noticed the lock design was different. Now worries, we exited the lock and headed to the John Day Dam. We also had to go under a railroad bridge. GFC gave us a spreadsheet with all the locks and bridge call signs which helped a lot. Thanks Mike!"

The bollards you found at Bonneville are taller than the rest of them on the river. As you've noticed already, there is a variety of upstream and downstream gates. Some are guilloting, some large doors.

I'm glad you liked Arlington. That's one of my favorite places to overnight. If you left there this morning you'll be in my area tonight. It's our anniversary so I'll be pretty tied up all afternoon and evening (don't ask :dance: ) so our get together may have to be tomorrow evening.

Give me a call when you're getting close to the RR Bridge and if I can break away I'll come down and help you get tied up. Right now in our area there's about a 10mph wind out of the SW so that will help you to the dock.

We are current in Arlington and will stay here for the few days until the weather improves...

The wind is easing up a bit, finally. The plan now is to head up tomorrow for Umitilla and then into Tri Cities on Sunday. If all goes well we meet up with Mike and Tina Sunday afternoon for cocktails. This wind is getting old.
Cheers

John, we won't be back in town until Monday afternoon. Sunday evening we'll be in Arlington.

Oooooo say it isn't so:
Arlington Marina is an awesome place. Moorage is free, electric is $10 a night. Yes the highway and railroad bridge is next to the marina, but it is a clean friendly place. Diesel is $2.69 a gallon here…..They have a few restaurants, hardware and grocery store. Because of weather, we will be hold up here for the next 3 days. I could think of worse places(LIKE KETCHIKAN???) :blush::blush::banghead::rofl:to be stuck!!

Oooooo say it isn't so:
Arlington Marina is an awesome place. Moorage is free, electric is $10 a night. Yes the highway and railroad bridge is next to the marina, but it is a clean friendly place. Diesel is $2.69 a gallon here…..They have a few restaurants, hardware and grocery store. Because of weather, we will be hold up here for the next 3 days. I could think of worse places(LIKE KETCHIKAN???) :blush::blush::banghead::rofl:to be stuck!!

Oh Al. I love Kecth. My comparison was the noise. It is very loud in Ketch, maybe not AS BAD as Arlington, but pretty close. Trains, planes and cruiese ships...:eek:

Arlington to Umatilla

This was a very relaxing part of the journey so far. Calm waters, very little current and awesome views. When Lewis and Clark or the Oregon Trail folks came to this part of the river they saw Mt. Hood for the first time. She stands tall and white in the distance.

Lots of fishing boats on the river, with a few being caught. The current on this part of the river isn't bad. In fact, we can see the water starting to drop. There are also a lot of little islands and sand bars to navigate around. So paying attention to the charts are a must.

Then we got attacked by thousands and thousands of moths!! They were over everything! They didn't bite but man there is a lot of them.

We were welcomed to the Umatilla Marine. This marina really isn't set up for any thing over 35-40 ft. But they found room for us. ASD is at the end of the dock with the geese and Pairadice backed nicely into a slip. No charge for moorage or electric. They were glad to see cruisers up this far on the river.

This morning, Sunday we arose to an awesome sunrise. Once past McNary Dam it is only 33 mile to Kenniwick. Looked at AIS, no traffic on the river, so we called the lock master to see if we could lock through at 7:30. Nope we have to wait for the 0900 recreational lock up. So here we sit.

Attachments

• IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
A few more

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1970.jpg
    IMG_1970.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1979.jpg
    IMG_1979.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 59
Nice pics all. Can't wait to hear about your final day's journey into Kennewick.

Umatilla to Kennewick

We had planned to leave at 7 AM. We called the lock and he would not lock us through until 9 AM. We left at 0830 and made the lock at 9 AM. To reach the lock we slugged it out at 2 kts to get to the door.

Locking is no big deal now. The Admiral is comfortable handing the Bullard line. The lock up was easy and no worries. When the doors came open there was a bunch of trash and logs. Being Pairadice was in front he created a log free zone.

The trip to Kennewick is only 33 miles. We are now in the heat at 90f. no wind and a beautiful cruise. The canyon walls were part green and brown. Made you wonder what this canyon looked like in the Lewis and Clark exploration.

We exited the Canyon and every think went flat. As we approached the Junction of the Columbia and Snake River there was a lot of trash in the water, logs, branches tumble weeds. I heard a “thump thump” but no damage.

We also had a run in with a little sail Kat. This guy must think he owned the river!!! He could see us coming from a distance. He was tacking back and forth across the river. He purposely sailed toward John. He ended up at Johns stern screaming and hollering. He then tacked toward me and across my bow. I was fighting logs and trash in the water but was able to steer around him to his stern. Rules of the road. He started screaming at us stating he had the right of way. He was busy screaming at us, he wasn’t paying attention and the wind swung his boom over and smacked him in the head. This angered him more. We waves and continued.

There are 2 railroad bridges that need to be raised before we are able to get to the moorage. The first one is automated and is default in the “up” position, until a train needs to cross. John called the bridge no response. Finally, someone responded from the other bridge. He could not understand why the bridge was down. He called John on his phone to give him some phone numbers, which he called and we hoovered.

No progress, so John called the USCG Sector Columbia River. They got right on it. It wasn’t long before we saw two guys working their way to the control house on top of the bridge. Here we sat hovering for an hour, still waiting. Then just as John was getting ready to call the coast guard again, we see a truck go across the bridge to the east side. He stopped and we could see him stomping on a switch. Magically, the bridge raised!!! Second bridge no worries.

We will be moored at Kennewick for a week as John has family joining him, while I will be in court observing the trial on the guy that sank my shed last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2037.jpg
    IMG_2037.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 71
A few More

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 56
Meeting up with TF members.
Aft Deck Capt.
Eric helped us in docking and then a few beers and lots of lies. Great to put a face to our online buddies.

Attachments

• 8F822C26-A87E-4F54-8136-05C2F21A99B1.jpg
    8F822C26-A87E-4F54-8136-05C2F21A99B1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
And the GFC, Mike showed up and the lies continued.
Thanks Mike!

Attachments

• 3A07326E-4FDD-4AEE-9970-FCBAF34EEF7F.jpg
    3A07326E-4FDD-4AEE-9970-FCBAF34EEF7F.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 63
The pleasure was all mine guys. Nice to me you both and even nicer to meet your Admirals. Home front issues kept us from hooking up for dinner tonight, but you know what those issues are and know it's not by choice that we had to beg off tonight.

It looks like tomorrow will work so I'll give you a shout in the morning. Sleep tight.

Tom & John it was great to meet you and your wives. It turns out that we're in town this weekend after all. My wife and daughter would like to meet you as well.... we'll see how the week plays out.

PS: Thanks for cropping the milk crate out of the pic!

Well Mike and Eric, the Admirals want to give you all a tour of their boats. We also have Klondikes for you Mike.......

Tom, I think we're on for tonight. How about the Crow's Nest? Tina is gone right now but as soon as I hear from her we'll give you a call. Looking forward to seeing both boats.

Mike

Well Mike and Eric, the Admirals want to give you all a tour of their boats. We also have Klondikes for you Mike.......

Tom, I'm planning on catching the tour at noon tomorrow! Sorry I missed you guys tonight. I didn't see Mike's PM until late plus we had a lot going on this afternoon & evening.
I still hope my girls have a chance to meet all of you.

Shed Trial?

If you don't mind me asking, how does someone "sink" a shed? :rofl:

If you don't mind me asking, how does someone "sink" a shed? :rofl:

After viewing what can only be called. "Refreshing Post Office Photos" :socool:of these two you want to know how to sink a shed???:facepalm: O just you wait, the tale you will hear from Sir Tom, will bring tears to your eyes, of humor, not sadness.:whistling:

Al-Ketchikan :smitten:

Nice Visit

We had a nice visit at the boats with Eric, Mike, his wife Tina and their grandson.

Pictured here is the "Passing of the Klondikes!" A long long tradition with me and Mike. He will be on the hook next time we meet!!!

Thanks for coming down to see us. Crusty will be posting a group photo later.

Attachments

• IMG_2104.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom