Recovering Sailor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wesley Moy

Hi Everyone,

My wife Brenda and I will shortly be recovering sailors. On Friday we went to contract on a Mainship 390. She’s in North Carolina and we’ll be bringing her up to the Chesapeake Bay in a couple of weeks.

We had a Catalina 36 for ten years and I had the opportunity to teach on the Naval Academy offshore program for a couple of years. That said, there’s a big difference between the 35 hp Westerbeke we had and the twin 230 hp Yanmars ... and all the other stuff I need to learn.

Wesley

Hi Wesley and welcome to the Forum

My wife and I are also ex yachties who came across to the "dark side".

Oh yes........... you will miss the challenge of extracting the best speed out of a breeze and all the other satisfactions that sailing a boat in its special groove brings but surprisingly you will pretty quickly get the hang of not walking on the side of a hill when underway, not having to climb a ladder to get out on deck, being ably to sit on deck in a deck chair and face any way you want rather than a fixed bench seat, go places that a 2 metre keel wouldn`t let you and on and on.

And lastly (and I am sure it doesn`t apply to you) you will miss that sanctimonious sneer that sailors have when talking to power boaters:whistling:

Once again welcome

There are, it would seem, a lot of folks that crossed over to the dark side. That said, I sailed with some of the finest sailors in the world and none of them finds fault with the course you and I are on!

Last edited:
Welcome, and good luck with your delivery! Let us know how it goes.

and do not forget the comforting sound of a diesel.

Welcome. We have a 390 and love it.
John

I started with a Catalina 25, then a Catalina 30, then a 38CC Irwin now a Mainship 34 Trawler. Great boat and I love the comfort level, fuel economy, and the feeling I get up on the fly bridge. The only thing I miss from my sailing days is that very rare time we went out for a day sail. I love turning off the engine and getting in that groove and relax. But, I actually didn't do that very often.
I call sail boats "slow trawlers". Most people never raise the sails and if they do they motor sail. If you have a destination you need to get there.
I don't regret going over to the "dark side" even for a minute.

Hi Molly,

Truth be told, if you’re out on the water, I don’t thing there’s a dark side (all the jokes aside). Still love sailing and we’ll probably get our fix chartering in the Caribbean from time to time. That said, sometimes it just ain’t easy to sail from one place to another on any kind of predictable time schedule.

Wesley

Welcome to team Trawler Forum

My crossing from sailboat to motorboat wasn't a recovery, but an evolution.

Old sailor here as well, kind of miss sailing.
First boat was a 44’ Custom Bill Tripp Bermuda back in the 80s, liveaboard, Caribbean. Best time of my life.
Next boat was a CSY 33, loved that boat.
Now an Albin 28TE, pocket trawler.
Going down in size with every boat.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

200w.gif

Hi Everyone,

My wife Brenda and I will shortly be recovering sailors. On Friday we went to contract on a Mainship 390. She’s in North Carolina and we’ll be bringing her up to the Chesapeake Bay in a couple of weeks.

We had a Catalina 36 for ten years and I had the opportunity to teach on the Naval Academy offshore program for a couple of years. That said, there’s a big difference between the 35 hp Westerbeke we had and the twin 230 hp Yanmars ... and all the other stuff I need to learn.

Wesley

Welcome Wesley,

I grew up sailing and also owned a 1983 Catalina 36 for a number of years, followed by a Catalina 400. We made the switch 2 years ago and it has been a great move.

I am out in the PNW, but had an uncle that messed around with sailboats for years there in Annapolis. Unfortunately, he died a couple years ago but as a kid I had the chance to sail with him on the Chesapeake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom