looking for a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most so-called "trawler" boats have twin engines, capable of surpassing hull speed. So, that's what is most available. Still, high speeds equal high fuel consumption. Too me, the quintessential trawler has a single engine and is not capable of exceeding hull speed, cruising consuming less than two gallons of fuel per hour.. Most people want a fast cruiser, not a trawler.

When beginning to look for a cruising home, or hobby , look at "trawlers" but also look at the other variants like "motor yachts" in the same size/price area .

There are far more non trawlers built in most sizes , so the creation of big numbers keeps the boats improving over the years.

Many are better cruisers for folks that spend 90 % of their time dockside , and only do the 200 Hours a year norm.

There is still the same huge difference in gear selected for dockside living or anchoring out, but "trawler" is not the only deck house style that will cruise comfortably and well.

I was referring to the boat type used in my search
tumblr_p9q3a1TagX1wdluzmo1_1280.png

When Kim and I were looking at boats we would use the search feature as you are doing. We also would use the option of multiple boat types in our search

Aft Cabin--Trawler--- Motor yacht Combos like that
It will depend on how the broker listed the boat that will show in searches
At least on YW... Sometime you find the boat you are looking for under a different search due to poor listing conditions.
Must say Love the Sundeck Love the twins Love the FB

Enjoy the search

Grand Banks...... nice boats BUT, maintaining the exterior teak will be expensive. Based on my own experience, when I was looking a used boat, if it had exterior teak, I took it off my list of "possibles".
You might be able to find a decent 34 American Tug. The only caution I will give you about the AT is what I consider a lack of (for me and a mate) storage for clothing if you are moving to a year round live aboard. The ATs (fast trawler) seem to hold their resale value.

Getting back to the original questions...I agree with others to set your price range first, then find the best you can there. It all depends on your needs, but I’ve enjoyed getting a bit more space and features by sacrificing age. And contrary to many, I love the exterior teak, no matter the work.
There are plenty of ways to get loans and insurance for older boats. Check out LightStream. Check out GEICO. I don’t think you’ll be able to deduct the interest though.

Getting back to the original questions...I agree with others to set your price range first, then find the best you can there. It all depends on your needs, but I’ve enjoyed getting a bit more space and features by sacrificing age. And contrary to many, I love the exterior teak, no matter the work.
There are plenty of ways to get loans and insurance for older boats. Check out LightStream. Check out GEICO. I don’t think you’ll be able to deduct the interest though.

Teak; I learned my lesson with my Nordhavn, no thank you.

Interest on a boat loan? Check with your CPA or tax preparer. Generally speaking, if you fulfill the requirements for a second home, you can deduct the interest.
Galley, (fridge, stove, sink, running water), separate head and shower, sleeping quarters, for a start.

live aboards are allowed in 79th boat basin and some marinas that I confirmed. otherwise it's on a case by case basis.

Took us 10 years on the waiting list to get into the 79th St BB. We don't sleep aboard but gets rough when the ferry traffic starts up way before the morning and evening rush hours. $120/ft for the summer season, maybe $90-$100 for winter and they only offer it based on seniority because they only have water/electric(?) on a couple of docks. They did start offering it to me after about 4 years. During the lowest tides of the year (only January) there is maybe a foot of water there on a couple of days for a couple of hours. During the rest of the year you'll just be kicking up mud if you leave/return around low tide so be careful about draft.
They of course require insurance.

I have a love/hate relationship with that marina. Super convenient for me and very nice people in the office but rocky,shallow and tight with few normal marina amenities. NYC runs a marina in Brooklyn and another in Queens that are probably a little cheaper and probably don't have the wait list.
Then of course there is always one15 marina by the Brooklyn Bridge at only $315/ft One°15 Brooklyn Marina – Welcome to New York's Newest and Finest Marina or the marinas in NJ like liberty landing at $250-$320/ft for the year.

Right now we have this guy anchored right outside the 79St Boat Basin.
aviva.jpg

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/editorial-features/aviva-inside-the-984m-abeking-rasmussen-flagship-yacht--36319

Regarding the 78 vs 79 Albin, that 78 looks like you can move in and not worry about anything for a while though the price seems on the high side. The less expensive 79 looks like there might be some deferred maintenance, especially if you want to cruise it.

Best of luck in your search.

Irrespective to if exterior boat wood is teak, mahogany, oak or any other type... Having spent many of my young years on and about wooden boats, in family and working for boat yards, I strongly recommend "No Exterior Wood".

Unless, maybe, you like to spend hours after hours keeping the wood in good condition... or letting the wood go to crap... or taking the time and expense to remove the wood for replacement with much less work-required materials.

That's my feelings. Yours may vary greatly!

Happy Boat-Search Daze! - Art

PS: Interior wood is a joy to have and little effort to keep in great condition.

If you're preference for diesel is flexible...consider the Carver 326 Aft cabin..seems to be in your price range, and readily available and much newer. Diesel purists will liken a gas boat to having live grenages in your bilge....but educate yourself.....the more a boat is stationary..ie: dock condo.....gas might be a viable way to get more boat for less money

Generally speaking, if you fulfill the requirements for a second home, you can deduct the interest.

Galley, (fridge, stove, sink, running water), separate head and shower, sleeping quarters, for a start.

Thanks! I think you just saved me some money!

If you're preference for diesel is flexible...consider the Carver 326 Aft cabin..seems to be in your price range, and readily available and much newer. Diesel purists will liken a gas boat to having live grenages in your bilge....but educate yourself.....the more a boat is stationary..ie: dock condo.....gas might be a viable way to get more boat for less money

IMO - After many decades boating... Diesel and gasoline engines both have drawbacks and pluses.

Gasoline is OK as a boat fuel... if:
1. You are careful all the time
2. Know how to handle all things
3. Keep tight safety-controls/maintenances on all items at always

Diesel fuel is safer for sure.

These type engines in comparison are filled with high points and low points greatly depending on many ,many use-factors.

Oh come on guys, a little exterior teak never hurt anyone:rofl:. Seriously I understand if someone doesn't like the upkeep on teak, but for those of us that are woodworkers at heart, we love the look of 8 coats of varnish and a mile deep gleam on those handrails:thumb:

Oh come on guys, a little exterior teak never hurt anyone:rofl:. Seriously I understand if someone doesn't like the upkeep on teak, but for those of us that are woodworkers at heart, we love the look of 8 coats of varnish and a mile deep gleam on those handrails:thumb:

Whatever makes you happy. Just dont ask me to help. SMIRK

Only 8 coats? I recall being told 10 coats minimum.

I do agree... beauty for sure... for a relatively short period of time however.

Yup - "... coats of varnish and a mile deep gleam on those handrails." :thumb:

But I simply DON'T do that any more!! :D

Helps to have a covered slip - keeps the sun off when not being used.:thumb:

As I said, verify this with your CPA or tax preparer.

As of the new tax laws of 2018 the interest is deductible as long as your combined mortgages and any boat loan don't exceed $750k.
As OldDan said, verify with your CPA.

Interest on a boat loan? Check with your CPA or tax preparer. Generally speaking, if you fulfill the requirements for a second home, you can deduct the interest.

I rent now. so if I buy a boat it's "first home"..

do upgrades on these fall into the category "home improvements"?

do upgrades on these fall into the category "home improvements"?

Dont look at me for information. Be happy you can write off the interest.
I suspect, the upgrades would not qualify because they were for your use

Last edited:
If I recall, home improvement deductions only count to offset any gains from selling your home for more than you bought it. In real estate, that is common.....I'm not so sure about boats.

If I recall, home improvement deductions only count to offset any gains from selling your home for more than you bought it. In real estate, that is common.....I'm not so sure about boats.

HAHA. Correct and I have never heard of a boat sold for a profit.

HAHA. Correct and I have never heard of a boat sold for a profit.

Can be done....right boat, right initial price, right improvements....
Sold a Bristol 35.5 for 23K more than purchase after 4 years. Even with upgrade costs, still made money...

Can be done....right boat, right initial price, right improvements....
Sold a Bristol 35.5 for 23K more than purchase after 4 years. Even with upgrade costs, still made money...

Did you include your labor cost of $50/hr?

and of course, you reported the profit to the IRS. :angel:

Noah’s boat was listed on Arkworld for almost two years before he finally got smart and added a fly-bridge. Sold right away.:hide:

'Only used for forty days and forty nights. May have to deodorize it."

Old Dan, I think you may be mistaken about being able to deduct interest as if it were a second home. We just bought our Great Harbour 37, financed it for two reasons: [1] Convenience, we'll have the money in a year without dipping into investments, and [2] the 2nd home mortgage interest deduction. Our CPA said that disappeared with the tax legislation of late 2017. Consequently, we are NOT able to deduct the interest. I'm not a tax professional, just relating our experience.

Back
Top Bottom