View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #25
NachoMan

City: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
As a kid my family cruised the San Juan's and Gulf Islands first in a 21' sailboat and then in a 24' sailboat. Granted a sailboat is generally going to be more sea worthy than most power boats, but it all comes down to picking weather.

Keep in mind that you have outlined two very different types of boating experiences, ocean and inland. Crossing the Straits of Georgia or San Juan can be done in a few hours. It is much easier to find an appropriate weather window. This leaves all the waters of the Salish Sea open to you without exposure to the Pacific. However, the West side of Vancouver Island or down the Coast to the Columbia river are quite different. Many here do that on a regular basis but their are different considerations.

If I was thinking of regularly running up or down the Pacific Coast my boat selection would be different than where I cruise which is on the inside.
What kind of boat selection would you make in that case? Would the length be something that you would be looking for, or are other features such as stabilizers, etc more of a consideration?

I hear the waters around the Columbia River can get pretty rough, especially if I plan to make our way all the way down to California, so I’m trying to better understand what would make such an activity safer and easier, besides keeping a good eye on the weather, and not venturing out when you don’t have to in rougher seas.
NachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote